Blaming QB Equals Easy Way Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayinem

Reaction score
Offense would've had to score 40 that game. Green Bay did whatever they wanted to our defense.
Our offense got us down 27-0 and Dak threw 2 INTS one a pick six. Sugarcoat it anyway you like but that happened and 99% of the time you're going to lose when you're down 27 points at any point of the game. You can't just blame the defense, you see every time the other team scores you get the ball and a chance to score, every single time. But Dak couldn't do it.

Dak has this thing where he comes alive and scores a ton of garbage points but that isn't the same as being clutch.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
— Jerry Jones: Here's another fun exercise. Check back on our schedule releases in recent years. Jerry Jones is front and center in those videos. No other owner in the league does what this man does. He's arguably the greatest businessman in NFL history and should be studied at every single business school across the country. But he's weighed down this franchise with his self-centered antics, know-it-all attitude, and wanting to be everybody's friend. People will keep attending games and buying Cowboys gear... a full-fledged boycott is required to truly incite any tangible change.
Other realistic methods might have some level of success modifying Jones' self-belief only he can manage a football team. However, the single, farfetched option keeps re-surfacing on CowboysZone and likely every other Dallas Cowboys-related fansite. An alternative that is continually thrown out for others to make happen but is rarely practiced through personal example--never inspiring thousands or even millions of others to do the same.

starfan1

Reaction score
First off, before people comment after just seeing the thread title, Dak deserves blame (I say 30%) for last month's loss. He, by his own admittance, sucked. Looked scared, uncomfortable and — probably most damning — displayed none of the leadership values we've heralded him for.

Is he the answer? I don't know. What I do know, however, is the problems of this franchise would be nearly impossible for any quarterback to overcome.

— Overhyped: This is the most overhyped roster in all of football. The defense couldn't stop a nosebleed on the ground, and was lit up by Geno Smith at home. The offense halted against nearly every single above-average opponent they faced. The numbers were inflated due to the poor division we play in, but this isn't a top-five roster like some had us believe.

— Average head coaches: Here's a fun exercise. Let's look at the opportunities at head coach that our previous two coaches received after they were fired by Dallas. Wade Phillips (3 — interim) and Jason Garrett (0 — not even two full seasons as OC). Mike McCarthy will not have another head coaching opportunity after next season. Simply put - Our head coaches would not even be considered for HC gigs by the league's worst after they've been fired by us. And I'm not even talking about (outside of Dan Quinn) the litany of poor coordinators that overstayed their welcome here.

— Priorities in the wrong place: Micah Parsons doing a podcast with one playoff win on his resume. CeeDee Lamb being a visible drama queen whenever Dak doesn't throw it to him 10 times. Dak doing 15-plus commercials each year. Jerry Jones talking to the media before our head coach. It's a culture that lacks accountability, rewards players for being good in the regular season and not beyond, and prioritizes attention and hype over winning games in January.

— Jerry Jones: Here's another fun exercise. Check back on our schedule releases in recent years. Jerry Jones is front and center in those videos. No other owner in the league does what this man does. He's arguably the greatest businessman in NFL history and should be studied at every single business school across the country. But he's weighed down this franchise with his self-centered antics, know-it-all attitude, and wanting to be everybody's friend. People will keep attending games and buying Cowboys gear... a full-fledged boycott is required to truly incite any tangible change.

I could write a whole essay on my anger and frustration, but this is what it comes back to everytime. Outside of landing a Mahomes-like quarterback, nothing can be done to overcome the culture that JJ has established. I'll root like hell for them on Sundays from September until December, and know that it'll end very quickly in January. As long as JJ acts the way he always has — that won't change — this team is doomed before the season even starts.
You are wasting bandwidth these folks are gonna whine till draft. Maybe beyond. The funny thing is they think it matters. And btw you arent wrong but they feel a QB paid like he is needs to overcome all that. having said that i do feel Daks performances in the playoffs have progressivly declined but hes never been the sole reason for the collapse.

DezTroy97

Reaction score
Other realistic methods might have some level of success modifying Jones' self-belief only he can manage a football team. However, the single, farfetched option keeps re-surfacing on CowboysZone and likely every other Dallas Cowboys-related fansite. An alternative that is continually thrown out for others to make happen but is rarely practiced through personal example--never inspiring thousands or even millions of others to do the same.
What other realistic methods would you suggest? Not being sarcastic... genuinely curious.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Offense would've had to score 40 that game. Green Bay did whatever they wanted to our defense.
The defense absolutely stunk. Our run defense was nonexistent, and DQ ran a zone defense despite the fact that we usually played man. Why? Who knows, but GB decimated DQ's zone defense. Our run defense was nonexistent like DQ's zone defense.
While it's true that Dak's performance wasn't much better than the defense if at all, one would have to be blind to act like Dak was the only problem on the field. Our defense was horrible.

Last edited:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Had Dak played great against GB the Cowboys would have lost in a shootout because they couldn’t stop the Packers all day. They could have scored practically every time they had the ball if they had to. By the start of the fourth quarter they were just sitting on their lead and pulling their starters. Go back to the Seattle game. Our defense was trash, but we were able to outscore them. Had Dak played poorly in that game they would’ve blown us out.

RS12

Reaction score
So we have a 26 year old who has only seen the current versión of the basketball on grass versión of the NFL, and virtualy no playoff success from this franchise telling us how QB play should look? My advice is there is still way too much stench in the air for apology threads. Probably should wait till after the draft.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score

No, the most important position on the field and you expect that player after 8 years to not crap the bed.

I admire how other teams will move on from decent/good QB’s when they can’t win and become too expensive, yet these fanboys would gouge their eyes out, ship talent out, crap on our HOF players for this one dude. Wild.

I swear it has to be the effects of Fantasy football.

Syron

Reaction score
Blaming the QB isn't the easy way out...its the only way out. Especially when you are talking about an above average QB getting paid 60m a year

Let's start with the Defense. Did you happen to watch Bills Chiefs AFC playoff game in 2022. 42 to 36. No defense to speak of on the field that day. Sometimes it happens. Elite QBs step up to the plate.

Average HC - Well this average HC won a Superbowl. BB can't get a job without Brady. Reid was let go by Philly. Even HOFs look pretty bad without elite QB play.

Player priorities in the wrong place - This is the future of the NFL. Have you seen any Chiefs coverage this year? Talk about distraction. This is a multi-billion dollar entertainment industry. Cross promotion is the future of the sport.

Jerry Jones front in center - Granted, there is no one like him in football, but he was that same self centered attitude when we won 3 Superbowls. Would I like to see him stay out of football, heck yeah. But that's not going to change anytime soon.

Look, I am frustrated too. But I am frustrated not only because we don't win, but we keep making the same mistakes over and over again. The Rams went to the Superbowl...saw that they didn't have a QB to take them over the top, and traded him. Philly saw that same thing and moved on. Chiefs saw it with Alex Smith. San Fran with Jimmy G.

So is there a Superbowl winning QB for us in the draft? I don't know. But I do know we don't have one on this team. And to me, I would rather try to find thet guy then keep banging my head into a wall.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I tend to think that the easy way out is to just sit back and complain about Jerry who we know is never going to change. We know he is never going to sell the team and he will never touch the field. It's sooo easy to just point at that guy and say it's not worth even looking at ways to improve because the root cause is never changing. I certainly don't agree with every Dak, MM, DQ, Lamb, Micah, etc complaint and suggestion to ship them out of town but at least these people are trying to come up with solutions that could actually happen. I'd much rather try something new and fail instead of just run back the same core group year after year with the same results.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Our offense got us down 27-0 and Dak threw 2 INTS one a pick six. Sugarcoat it anyway you like but that happened and 99% of the time you're going to lose when you're down 27 points at any point of the game. You can't just blame the defense, you see every time the other team scores you get the ball and a chance to score, every single time. But Dak couldn't do it.

Dak has this thing where he comes alive and scores a ton of garbage points but that isn't the same as being clutch.
You’re putting it entirely on our offense, when our defense couldn’t stop them all day. Green Bay scored TDs on three of their four positions in the first half. On Dak’s first INT our defense allowed the Packers to score a TD on just 4 plays. Holding them to a FG would have been a win in that situation, but we couldn’t stop them and it was like that the entire game. Our defense SUCKED but you’re pointing all the fingers at our offense. :facepalm:

Buzzbait

Reaction score
yea and making excuse = paying a bum scrub loser bozo qb 20%+ of the entire cap and being force to extend him because other wise he will destroy the cap and roster
Yes and I can't stand the prospect of extending his contract for the suspected 50 - 60mil! :banghead:

Status
Not open for further replies.