Bland needed this butt-kicking

quickccc

Reaction score
He'll grow from this experience and become a complete shutdown CB. Just remember that Diggs had growing pains too!
- Diggs' overall coverage skills is more adept than Bland.

- Bland is tremendous force of nature when he can drive " Forward" to the ball, whereas Diggs has become
very keen at coverage whether driving forward, or in reverse turn n run upfield.
Bland's overall coverage skills are still a work in progress.

- Gilmore has lost speed thru age and post ACL trama but maintains fundamentally sound techniques
and great positioning. It would be very rare to see him beaten deep. He just does not give up those kind of plays.
Teams have a better chance with losing him across the field laterally, but they don't beat Gilmore with deep shots.

Cmac

Reaction score
I played corner in middle school, high school and college. There are game like this, you just have to push through. It the hardest postion to play in football. I give the kid his props. He did not sink into a hole on his off night!
......but bad games like that aren't acceptable. Period. He is saved a bit by the win. Put the press clipping down. This is a week-to-week league.

The Natural

Reaction score
I don’t think Bland has “shut down corner” in his DNA. He’s an ok coverage guy with elite ball skills, that doesn’t equal shut down corner. And that’s fine, he will make more + plays for the team than negative.

Flamma

Reaction score
I played corner in middle school, high school and college. There are game like this, you just have to push through. It the hardest postion to play in football. I give the kid his props. He did not sink into a hole on his off night!
I played WR mostly. Some corner. I absolutely hated playing corner. But it was so much nicer when you had dedicated safety help over the top.

Bland had a bad game, and he still got a pick.

817Gill

Reaction score
Who are we benching or trading?
Why would we need to do either of those things? There are 3 starting corners in todays NFL, slot CB’s play dang near as many snaps as boundary corners.

Also, are you serious lol? Gilmore will be 34 and a free agent and Diggs is coming off an ACL. Who in the world do you think is going to be our outside corner next year?

It will 100% be Diggs and Bland. I’m a bit concerned that you even said this seriously, I don’t think any other human who follows the NFL would think Bland isn’t locked into a starting outside CB role next year.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Why would we need to do either of those things? There are 3 starting corners in todays NFL, slot CB’s play dang near as many snaps as boundary corners.

Also, are you serious lol? Gilmore will be 34 and a free agent and Diggs is coming off an ACL. Who in the world do you think is going to be our outside corner next year?

It will 100% be Diggs and Bland. I’m a bit concerned that you even said this seriously, I don’t think any other human who follows the NFL would think Bland isn’t locked into a starting outside CB role next year.
I wasn’t aware Gilmore will be a FA next year. So we only signed him for one season. Well, there’s your answer.

stinkface

Reaction score
In some cases Gino was making great and I mean great throws. Our entire defense played pretty awful last night. I mean we did not sack Gino all night. More then Bland stunk.

817Gill

Reaction score
In some cases Gino was making great and I mean great throws. Our entire defense played pretty awful last night. I mean we did not sack Gino all night. More then Bland stunk.
People forget he was a 2nd round pick for a reason. Never lived up to his potential and had maturity issues to start but his arm and accuracy have never been his issue.

It’s always been between the ears with him.

Cowboy_svt

Reaction score
Safeties are trash right now.
definitely a giant miss, i dunno what happened but all of them blow right now. Wilson sometimes at least makes a decent play near the LOS but whens the last time youve seen our safeties do something in the secondary?

Mr_437

Reaction score
definitely a giant miss, i dunno what happened but all of them blow right now. Wilson sometimes at least makes a decent play near the LOS but whens the last time youve seen our safeties do something in the secondary?
Nothing comes to mind, these guys are struggling. I'm ready for Thomas to take someone's position, and I don’t know why DQ is so hesitant to make a change.

Creeper

Reaction score
Bland is not a shut down corner and never has been. He has some exceptional skill that allow him to jump routes and pick off passes, but you can see he is not the kind of player to sit on a receivers hip the entire route. He loses ground on cuts, which is maybe why he lasted to the 5th round.

Clearly the Seahawks were picking on him last night. Obviously, they saw something on film. But if you keep poking the bear eventually you get bit, which is what happened last night. I suspect he will be challenged a lot the rest of the year until he shows he can break up a lot of those passes.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I love what DQ does with personnel, but we need better cover safeties and not just LB hybrids. The safety group hasn't been great this season.