Bland needed this butt-kicking

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Part of this is on Quinn for leaving the CBs on an island for much of the game. The Cowboys safeties tend to only play the middle of the field, they don't play the outside at all (you NEVER see a safety anywhere near a pass thrown down the sidelines). So that means we expect our CBs to be on an island out there by themselves. This is a real challenge.

And hec, when the CBs should have inside help from the safety, sometimes they don't...like when Metcalf beat Bland. The safety is supposed to be there to clean it up. Nope.

So, it's not all Bland (or Gilmore), we need more impact plays in the passing game from the safeties. And think about it, you rarely see a Cowboys safety knock down a pass, especially in support of a CB, right? That's a problem.

I don't fault Bland, because we're asking a lot of him...to not have any help over the top, but to still try to defend the underneath passes. Sheesh!
Piggy backing off of this, you have to give Bland help so that he can use his aggressiveness.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
i don’t even think he played “bad” overall. metcalf was just COOKING. getting the pick after getting roasted all first half though was huge

Bro, it’s fair to say he showed heart by continuing to compete and nabbing another pick, but he was absolutely cooked today and it wasn’t just Metcalf. I don’t know what the final numbers are but at one point they showed his coverage stats in the early 3rd QTR and he had given up something like 6 rec. for 126 yards. Not to mention a long PI and subsequent TD catch.

He was also cooked last week for 8 catches for 120 yards.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
He had a really bad game, but I take a tiny grain of solace knowing that Metcalf ran 22 mph on that TD. Hard to defend someone that fast 1 on 1. Now that doesn't excuse all the times he crapped the bed, but I know he'll work his butt off to get better, and hopefully this is the last time he gets abused.

BHendri5

Reaction score
No Bland didn't need that, but it's another learning experience. The real deal is that everyone was worried about Jordan Lewis, but Jordan Lewis is the one guy that can and could hold Smith NJigba, also DQ had them playing off coverage instead of letting them play press coverage because of how dangerous seattle receiving corp is.

glimmerman

Reaction score
They went after our secondary. Bland and Lewis looked bad. Our whole Defense looked bad. We pulled the game together at the end. Can’t wait to see how many times Parsons was held and not called.. but our secondary got ripped..

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Bro, it’s fair to say he showed heart by continuing to compete and nabbing another pick, but he was absolutely cooked today and it wasn’t just Metcalf. I don’t know what the final numbers are but at one point they showed his coverage stats in the early 3rd QTR and he had given up something like 6 rec. for 126 yards. Not to mention a long PI and subsequent TD catch.

I believe it was 6 targets, and 5 catches when they showed his stats.

Proof

Reaction score

for sure, and fair enough. but my point (even if misguided ) was that the wr / qb play was just that terrific. outside of that play where JSN completely undressed him and turned him around i didn’t think he looked that bad, just that the offensive players looked that good. and i know that’s homerific but that’s honestly how i felt

Croomraider

Reaction score
We need to prioritze a safety pick in the draft next year. Also, good to think if Diggs were on Metcalf, bland would have been on lockett, gilmore on the other island, this secondary would have been 2 TD's better than what they were tonight.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
It turns out that being placed 1on1 on a 6’4” freak of an athlete WR is about the most challenging thing in sports. Bland isn’t built to press and cover that kind of WR, very few corners are. That’s not what he’s here to do.
He got abused by all their WR

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
It's almost like he is a rookie who was asked to step in for a pro bowler who had a devastating injury early in the year...

GMO415

Reaction score
He’s over rated.
giphy.gif

Mr_437

Reaction score
I posted about WRs speed attacking a CBs cushion in the "Cooks n Turpin speed thread" and you saw it this game happen to Bland. Bland was turning his hips to run when he could've stayed in his back pedal at times resulting in easy completions.

Good game from Bland imho because he had a learning where he responded and still got a pick and the team won.