Bledsoe wont be the one to blame.

wileedog

Reaction score
At the end of the season, looking at the team, Bill had to answer on big question.

Why did we suck?

Was it because we had two older WR's and a lot of young question marks behind them, or was it because our front 7 got pushed around like a bunch of 7th graders?

Bottom line is you can only do so much in one offseason. The defense had to - and I do mean HAD TO be upgraded. There was just no way around it.

On offense we added Rivera, will (hopefully) have a full year of Julius, will get Campbell back. We have legitimate depth behind JJ if he goes down now. Drew will be a slight upgrade to Vinny if only that he won't wear down so badly the 2nd half of the season.

No, Glenn, Key and Morgan won't keep DC's awake at night in a cold sweat. However Julius and Witten will, and if we get any kind of play out of our O-Line at all, then I certainly think Glenn Key and Morgan are enough to make teams pay for paying attention to Julius & Co. And that's all they need to be.

NE doesn't have a T.O. or a Harrison on their roster either.

Wolverine

Zimmer Hater
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
And tomorrow it can be a phrase... "Drew Bledsoe Apologist". :D

Daym now I have to have a 2nd word for the day. It would be Cowboy WR Apologist.

Theres alota those in here.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wolverine said:
Daym now I have to have a 2nd word for the day. It would be Cowboy WR Apologist.

LOL!

Yeah... I guess so!

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Waffle said:
Wolverine...maybe you should consider superimposing your own picture over Zimmer's in your sig line.
tongue.gif
Why didn't I think of that????? :p:

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wolverine said:

Don't you mean realists?

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
With Key and Glenn's 60+ ypg, we've got something that 24 other teams didn't have last year. I'll defend that anytime. :D

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
Wolverine said:

I'll use a phrase - "no eye for talent" ... Only the few who lack the perceptiveness to see that our recievers are in the top 10 in the league would post such mindless drivel, based upon nothing what-so-ever.

The only thing I am worried about is a FB and pass protection. The recievers will be fine.

Vinny Testaverde passed for bookoo yards last year ... Bledsoe will tear it up even more.

It is ok to think sometimes, Wolverine.

Wolverine

Zimmer Hater
Reaction score
Banned_n_austin said:
I'll use a phrase - "no eye for talent" ... Only the few who lack the perceptiveness to see that our recievers are in the top 10 in the league would post such mindless drivel, based upon nothing what-so-ever.

Ok lets use some stats to show Im right and you CWRA(Cowboy WR Apologists) are WRONG!

Here are there 2004 stats and NONE of our WRs came close to bein in the top 10 in ANYTHING!!

Yards

Keyshawn Johnson - 981. That ranked #26 in the NFL
Glenn - 400 yards. The stats didnt even list him.

Receptions

Keyshawn Johnson - 70. That ranked #29 in the NFL.
Glenn - 24 catches. Didnt even make the list

TD Catches

Keyshawn Johnson - 6. That ranked #31 in the NFL.
Glenn - 2. At the bottom of the NFL.

Yeah Glenn was injured. But uhhhmm last time I checked #31 #29 and #26 are quite a bit lower then #10.

So if some of you wanna think we have a top 10 WR corp then go ahead and keep those Silver and Blue colored glasses on. Oh and if you dont believe me in any of this just go to ESPNs website and look up stats.

It is ok to think sometimes, Wolverine.

To bad for you I just did.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Wolverine said:
Ok lets use some stats to show Im right and you CWRA(Cowboy WR Apologists) are WRONG!

Here are there 2004 stats and NONE of our WRs came close to bein in the top 10 in ANYTHING!!

Yards

Receptions

TD Catches

Yeah Glenn was injured. But uhhhmm last time I checked #31 #29 and #26 are quite a bit lower then #10.

So if some of you wanna think we have a top 10 WR corp then go ahead and keep those Silver and Blue colored glasses on. Oh and if you dont believe me in any of this just go to ESPNs website and look up stats.

Noone is debating that we don't have a true number one receiver. We don't, we all know it. But we have quality depth and run WR by committee.

Wolverine

Zimmer Hater
Reaction score
Crown Royal said:
Noone is debating that we don't have a true number one receiver. We don't, we all know it. But we have quality depth and run WR by committee.

Really. After our 2 has beens at WR where is this depth. We just have garbage thats it.

blindzebra

Reaction score
Wolverine said:

Yards

Receptions

TD Catches

Two things.

Glenn played 6 games, if he had played 16 he'd have gotten 1067 yards and 5 TDs.

Witten had 980 and 6 TDs.

With a healthy running game we have 3 guys that will all get 750+ yards and 5-10 TDs in Key, Glenn and Witten. I predict they get us 2500 yards and 20 TDs combined.

Wolverine

Zimmer Hater
Reaction score
blindzebra said:
Two things.

Glenn played 6 games, if he had played 16 he'd have gotten 1067 yards and 5 TDs.

IF Well who knows maybe if he woulda played all 16 he woulda only got around 700 yards and only 4 TDs. Even IFFF he woulda played 16 games and got those #s he still woulda not been anywhere near the top 10.

Witten had 980 and 6 TDs

We are talkin about WR not TE.

and wow. I hear only silence from Banned_In_Austin. I guess he should stay quiet since I hella owned him and made a big a** outta him.

blindzebra

Reaction score
Wolverine said:
IF Well who knows maybe if he woulda played all 16 he woulda only got around 700 yards and only 4 TDs. Even IFFF he woulda played 16 games and got those #s he still woulda not been anywhere near the top 10.

We are talkin about WR not TE.

and wow. I hear only silence from Banned_In_Austin. I guess he should stay quiet since I hella owned him and made a big a** outta him.

We have two good WRs, one potentially good one and two young guys that showed promise AND a pro bowl TE that put up WR numbers.

Like it or not we do have a good receiving corp, that with a healthy Jones for 16 games will be even better.

wileedog

Reaction score
Wolverine said:

This is a Bill Parcells team. Top 10 WR's are not mandatory to win. Not even really thought about.

If the line is solid and the running game shines, Witten builds on his success, and the defense plays to its newfound potential, no on is going to give a crap if the WRs statistics are in the top 10 or not.

Key, Glenn and Morgan are good enough to do what they need to do on this team. Spread the D, move the chains. Keep opposing teams honest enough they can't stack up on Julius. That's it.

Yes, we need depth and youth to eventually replace those guys. But it was nowhere's near the priority on THIS team that the front 7 and the defense was.

I'd really be more worried about the O-line opening things up for JJ and keeping Bledsoe upright than anything else at this point.

Wolverine

Zimmer Hater
Reaction score
wileedog said:
If the line is solid and the running game shines, Witten builds on his success, and the defense plays to its newfound potential, no on is going to give a crap if the WRs statistics are in the top 10 or not.

Another IF. Give us some talent at WR and we dont have to worry as much about these IFs. With this team even with our much improved D we cant afford to make any mistakes. Talent at WR would let us have a easier time of comebacks when they are needed. With these WRs if we are down by 14 or more points we are as good as done for the game. We cant play catch up and take the lead with these WRs.

Key, Glenn and Morgan are good enough to do what they need to do on this team. Spread the D, move the chains. Keep opposing teams honest enough they can't stack up on Julius. That's it.

No NFL D has any respect for any of them. No NFL D is gonna double ANY of them up cuz they all can be easily covered with man coverage. That still leaves 8 men in the box to stop JJ and Barber.

Yes, we need depth and youth to eventually replace those guys. But it was nowhere's near the priority on THIS team that the front 7 and the defense was.

I dont think we will ever use a 1st rounder on WR or go after a top FA WR. So dont expect anything good which really bites. Our offense has struggled and sucked for a long time. Well I guess it figures since the last time the Cowboys spent a 1st rounder on a WR I wasnt even born yet.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
A reasonable expectation would be that Key and Glenn have reached points of expected production. This meaning that you could take there averages for the past 3 seasons and be pretty close to the production they will achieve this year.

Keyshaun

2002 16 76 1088 14.3 76 5
2003 10 45 0600 13.3 39 3
2004 16 70 0981 14.0 39 6

Proj 14 62 0890 14.3 51 5

Glenn

2002 15 56 0817 14.6 49 2
2003 16 52 0754 14.5 51 5
2004 06 24 0400 16.7 48 2

Proj 12 44 0657 14.9 50 3

Now are these numbers those of the top receivers in the league? No obviously they are not; however on closer look these numbers would have put both Glenn and Johnson in the top 30 in the NFL last year.

If you assume Witten will at least match last years numbers then you have 3 receivers in the top 30. One team, IND, did that last year, and only STL, GNB, CIN, KAN, and TEN had 2 in the top 30.

The major shortsight that the critics of our WRs have is that they feel that without a true stud it is impossible to have a prolific passing attack. I offer these statistics as evidence to the contrary.

If Glenn and Johnson provide their average production and Witten is able to simply reproduce his numbers from last season then OUR RECEVERS COMPARE FAVORABLY WITH THE RECEIVERS OF THE ELITE PASSING TEAMS IN THE NFL.

Additionally these statistics do not take into consideration contributing factors such as a healthy Jones' influence on the passing offence via play action nor the expected improvement we should see from Witten, Crayon and Copper nor whether Haley's work on Morgans hands will pay dividends nor the effect of an improved defense on our average starting field position.

Even Vinny versus Bledsoe is a virtual wash.

Wolverine I realize its your schtick to hate everything and that you and HH share the same brain but the lack of actual thought you put in your posts is simply depressing.

As is our receivers are good enough to have an elite passing attack this season.

Receivers in the draft are a dime a dozen. This year there was Edwards Williamson, Clayton and Williams, the year before Williams Fitzgerald, Williams and Clayton; the year before that Rogers and Johnson and Johson.

As for you baseless opinion that noone respects our receivers I am asking you for one shred of evidence to back this up. I counter that assertion with this evidence showing that these guys produce and DCs take notice of actual production not Wolverines selfaffirming tripe.

wileedog

Reaction score
Wolverine said:
Another IF. Give us some talent at WR and we dont have to worry as much about these IFs. With this team even with our much improved D we cant afford to make any mistakes. Talent at WR would let us have a easier time of comebacks when they are needed. With these WRs if we are down by 14 or more points we are as good as done for the game. We cant play catch up and take the lead with these WRs.

If we use cap space/draft picks to add talent to the WRs then we lose it someplace else. Which means you are just shifting your IFs from one place to another.

Parcells will always be a TOP/defensive coach. Top tier WR talent is not an absolutely necessary ingredient in that formula. Top defensive talent is.

The problem with that philosophy is, as you pointed out, coming back from 14 points down in the 4th quarter is much harder to do. But the whole point is to not be down by 14 points in the first place with strong defense and running the ball effectively.

No NFL D has any respect for any of them. No NFL D is gonna double ANY of them up cuz they all can be easily covered with man coverage. That still leaves 8 men in the box to stop JJ and Barber.

Teams struggled to stop JJ last year WITHOUT Glenn, and a worse (on paper) Offensive line, and a completely out-of-gas Testeverde under center.

Hows is it going to get worse with Glenn coming back, Morgan healthy and acclimated into the system, a younger Bledsoe who at least probably won't wear down, and Crayton and Copper having a solid year under their belt?

*edit* If teams insist on leaving Glen and Key in single coverage all day long, they will regret it. How much size will an opposing team's #2 CB going to be giving up to Key? Slant city.

I dont think we will ever use a 1st rounder on WR or go after a top FA WR. So dont expect anything good which really bites. Our offense has struggled and sucked for a long time. Well I guess it figures since the last time the Cowboys spent a 1st rounder on a WR I wasnt even born yet.

Our offense has struggled for a long time because nobody has played QB worth damn since Aikman's first concussion, our o-lines have been terrible, and there was a 3 year period where Emmit was wearing down and the only other RB on the roster was friggin T-Ham. Placing all of that lack of production at the feet of the WRs is silly.

And technically we used TWO first rounders on Joey Galloway. That worked out well....