Bledsoe's Targets by Range Compared

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ABQCOWBOY said:
I think it is also worth mentioning that Kelly played his College ball in Miami and later, Houston, while in the USFL. Certainly not bad weather teams.

True... but Miami and Houston aren't Buffalo!

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ABQCOWBOY said:
Yeah, in fact, as I recall, he did not have a great Sr. year. I remember him being hyped in his Jr. year as a possible Heisman guy but he kinda fell off in 82-83 season. That might have been the year Sherrill was replaced with Foge Fazio. Fazio, was the OC prior to that, I think but it's hard to remember some odd 25 years back. LOL.....

I think that kinda hurt Marino. Also, Marino didn't have the eye popping athleticisam. He had a great arm but was considered a bit of a Maverick. Mean time, you had John Elway who did have the eye popping skills, Blackledge who was considered the most ready to step in and run a pro offense (Penn State), Jim Kelly who also could run and throw (Miami), Eason (Illinois) and O'Brien (Cal Stat) who were both considered better athletes. I can see how he kinda fell off but certainly not as far down as he did IMO. As I recall, there may also have been some sort of Rumor about drugs or gambling or some such thing. Can't remember but if I know Sherrill, it was probably NCAA related.

I look back at that draft and I'm still amazed. That was one of the best drafts I've ever seen. You figure you had the QBs but you also had all these guys:

Eric Dickerson
Kurt Warner
Chris Hinton
Billy Ray Smith
Jimbo Covert
Bruce Mathews
Terry Kinard
Mike Pitts
Willie Gault
Joey Browner
Gill Byrd
JIm Jeffcoat
Dave Remington
Don Mosebar
Darrell Green.

I mean, that was an extremelly deep draft. Marino should not have slipped and teams will kick themselves forever probably but you can kinda see how it happened.

What a great draft.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Verdict said:
Marino was a very good QB. I am not comparing Marino to Bledsoe. It is irrelevant which QB is better, because Bledsoe is the Cowboy's QB and Marino is retired. I hope you are wrong about Bledsoe's need to throw the long ball, because I doubt throwing the long ball all day like the Raiders plays to our strength. I have too much faith in Parcells to make Bledsoe play to the team's strenth which is the running game and the short/intermediate passes and th e occasional long ball to keep defenses honest.

I agree which is why I think Parcells placed such an emphasis on the defensive side of the ball. I think he wants a ball control offense and a defense that can get the ball back. I think we will see Bledsoe with a lot of intermediate routs to the TE as well as Keyshawn and take the occasional shot deep. I do think Bledsoe can handle this style of play

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
Jim Kelly's touchdown to interception ratio was 237 to 175 in Buffalo during the regular season.
Drew Bledsoe's was 55 to 43 which putting it next to Kelly's numbers would be 237 to 185. Not a huge difference. Especially when you condsider what team Kelly played around and what team Bledsoe played around.