Blood in the Water

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Maybe why we didn’t trade draft picks for ET. Gonna use them to package something to move up and grab him.

Or they think he wants to play for Dallas so bad that they can sign him next year as a free agent for a reasonable price, and save their draft picks as well.

Problem with that scenario is that Dak's & Zeke's, etc. contracts run out shortly, they will need money to re-sign them (if they want them) and others. Plus players that are playing well will be another year older and may leave. Can't take 10 years to build a team solely through the draft...

blueblood70

Reaction score
Dak/Linehan’s inability to hurt a defense will result in teams becoming even more aggressive in their blitzes and overall style of play.

Dak looks punch drunk and teams will pile on and if he remains at QB— this has the potential to get a whole lot worse.

My friends— there is blood in the water, and Dak and Linehan are swimming with the sharks— while Jerry and Stephen drink their cares away above on the deck of the SS Lollipop.
MOre why more they are getting there with a 3-4 man line and no blitz..they have 9 guys in the box 4 rushing and 4 to come in in the 2nd wave and the last one to take Zeke just in case rpo happens.. Dak holding the ball allows for easy sacks..some is the line for sure but hes playing with his head down and not seeing the field and not climbing and floating around in the pocket to get someone downfield..no need for MORE bro they are doing it efficiently

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Or they think he wants to play for Dallas so bad that they can sign him next year as a free agent for a reasonable price, and save their draft picks as well.

Problem with that scenario is that Dak's & Zeke's, etc. contracts run out shortly, they will need money to re-sign them (if they want them) and others. Plus players that are playing well will be another year older and may leave. Can't take 10 years to build a team solely through the draft...

Thing is with the way Dak is playing you can low ball him for sure. Blake Bortles is better than him.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak/Linehan’s inability to hurt a defense will result in teams becoming even more aggressive in their blitzes and overall style of play.

Dak looks punch drunk and teams will pile on and if he remains at QB— this has the potential to get a whole lot worse.

My friends— there is blood in the water, and Dak and Linehan are swimming with the sharks— while Jerry and Stephen drink their cares away above on the deck of the SS Lollipop.
This was my major concern from the beginning. Everyone knew the DC's would do their best to shutdown the run, the Cowboys only hope was to make them pay and back off so they could run the offense.

The QB isn't great and he doesn't have great receivers and the OL is no longer great. The HC and OC never were great. This could turn into a great big mess quickly.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Thing is with the way Dak is playing you can low ball him for sure. Blake Bortles is better than him.

Is he? Before last year he was 11-34 as a starter. Less than 60% completions, 69-51 td to int ratio. Last year the Jags had the number 2 defense in the NFL. His yards per attempt is 6.3, and people complain Dak's last year of 6.4 was "horrible".

Bortles is the very definition of a bus driver. He has a far better defense and better coaching, but he's not any better than Dak.

Even if he is, based on his first 3 years stats, he should have been replaced. But the Jags stuck with him, folks here don't want to give Dak the same 3 years..

Beaker42

Reaction score
The ONLY WAY to make our offense entertaining is this ......... give them all flakka right before opening kickoff.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
This was my major concern from the beginning. Everyone knew the DC's would do their best to shutdown the run, the Cowboys only hope was to make them pay and back off so they could run the offense.

The QB isn't great and he doesn't have great receivers and the OL is no longer great. The HC and OC never were great. This could turn into a great big mess quickly.

The team's success was based on a top OL, so that Dak could be conservative and not have to win games on his own, due to his inexperience.

But with no Frederick, no Leary or experienced replacement for Leary, the line isn't a top OL.

Add to that no Witten as a security blanket for Dak, to get some first downs, and having to get in sync with 3 new receivers in Hurns, Gallup and Thomson, he's being forced into being a Peyton Manning or Aaron Rodgers, and he's just not at that level (if he ever can be, or be close to it).

But remember the Eagles "Dream Team" of a couple of years ago? Great plan, but it failed miserably.

The Cowboys' plan of a return to the 90's, with Aikman throwing only 18 tds a year, and Emmitt winning rushing titles, has failed. Can't really say it was a bad plan, if Frederick was still on the line, and if Leary could have stayed, I think it might have been much better.

As the old saying goes "the best laid plans of mice and men..."

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Is he? Before last year he was 11-34 as a starter. Less than 60% completions, 69-51 td to int ratio. Last year the Jags had the number 2 defense in the NFL. His yards per attempt is 6.3, and people complain Dak's last year of 6.4 was "horrible".

Bortles is the very definition of a bus driver. He has a far better defense and better coaching, but he's not any better than Dak.

Even if he is, based on his first 3 years stats, he should have been replaced. But the Jags stuck with him, folks here don't want to give Dak the same 3 years..

Dak's 3rd year is not starting good. This is a what have you done for me lately league not 3 years ago.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

Linehan is but a don't think Dak is. Who's better on the roster right now?

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Dak's 3rd year is not starting good. This is a what have you done for me lately league not 3 years ago.

Bortles' third year didn't start good. Didn't finish well, either - 58.9% completions, 23 tds 16 ints, ypa of 6.2.

All we ask is give Dak the same 3 full years before you throw him on the trash heap....

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Bortles' third year didn't start good. Didn't finish well, either - 58.9% completions, 23 tds 16 ints, ypa of 6.2.

All we ask is give Dak the same 3 full years before you throw him on the trash heap....

Ok, let's play out the season and see what we have. Would feel better if had a QB guru coach.

khiladi

Reaction score
The difference between Dak and Romo is:

Romo had Garrett as a playcaller, Dak has Linehan. Even with the dumb-downed offense, Dak’s limitations are what is causing plenty of the issues, while with Garrett it was the coaches incompetence that hamstrung Romo, who had the talent to throw the ball everywhere in a Coryell-type system. Garrett, for example, could never field a running game.

So with Romo, teams would just play deep cover 2 primarily and give up the underneath, respecting Romo’s arm, but closing down outside the 20s without any run game. They’d also force third and long and blitz on the long-developing pass routes.

With Dak, teams aren’t scared of a Dak at all, outside of making sure he stays in the pocket. They just crowd the line and make him try and throw outside the hashes, after taking away Beasley, which he sucks at.

john

Reaction score
All they need to do is go back to sprinkling in RPO plays. They did it against the giants and had there defense looking at each other wondering what to do.

We didn’t run a RPO until 6 minutes left in the game. Got 10 yards and drew a flag.

Who ever is taking these plays out of the game plan is wrecking the Offense. This is what Dak does well. He runs and passes off this.
I agree with you. Its obvious that Dak is not a pocket passer. Heck probably not a very good throwing QB. But that doesn't mean that you can't just go with what he does best. If he gets hurt? Well is this team going to suddenly become something its not with a few more games? L

Let him run the option. Make'em play the pass on those fakes. I think that Dak actually plays good when he is up under center as well.

And why do we always go to 4 wides and no rbs on second down after a successful 1st down? Drives me nuts. Only runs coming from that are the jet sweep, and I think most teams know that's coming once they see the motion. So the LB's that are in the box just drop 5 ft into a zone and dare Dak to find a opening.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I agree with you. Its obvious that Dak is not a pocket passer. Heck probably not a very good throwing QB. But that doesn't mean that you can't just go with what he does best. If he gets hurt? Well is this team going to suddenly become something its not with a few more games? L

Let him run the option. Make'em play the pass on those fakes. I think that Dak actually plays good when he is up under center as well.

And why do we always go to 4 wides and no rbs on second down after a successful 1st down? Drives me nuts. Only runs coming from that are the jet sweep, and I think most teams know that's coming once they see the motion. So the LB's that are in the box just drop 5 ft into a zone and dare Dak to find a opening.
It’s his element. He gains confidence and throws better. Play action off of it. Losers it up and Elliot eats. They did it in the giants game.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
What happens when the RPO doesn't work, is there another play he can master? Kareem (sky hook) is the only person I know that had that one unstoppable move.