Boosting our OL your choice O'Cyrus Torrence or Steve Avila

doomsday9084

Reaction score
These all seem like good options and I think drafting OL is important but taking one of these guys in the 1st seems like a stretch.

Unless a stud falls to Dallas at 26, I still think that trading back to get an extra 3rd rounder makes the most sense. If Dallas traded back, grabbed Jahmyr Gibbs with an early 2nd and then took a G with their 2nd and still had two 3rd rounders, I think it would be an excellent draft.

fivetwos

Reaction score
These all seem like good options and I think drafting OL is important but taking one of these guys in the 1st seems like a stretch.

Unless a stud falls to Dallas at 26, I still think that trading back to get an extra 3rd rounder makes the most sense. If Dallas traded back, grabbed Jahmyr Gibbs with an early 2nd and then took a G with their 2nd and still had two 3rd rounders, I think it would be an excellent draft.
Absolutely. Between the OL and TE options likely to be available in that range, they ought to be able to move back into the early third of the second round and still get a starting player.

Problem is finding a dance partner. Maybe someone wants to come up for Hooker. That’s our best option for a deal down IMO.

But yeah if the actual draft goes off similar to the media mocks, trading down is the best option.

KDM256

Reaction score
I'll take Tyler Steen in the 2nd round and wouldn't think twice about it.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Avila has played 4 different OL positions, and is OC option if Tyler Biadasz isn't given a new contract next offseason. That's the difference...position flex.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I'd gladly take either O'Cyrus Torrence or Steve Avila and be happily satisfied. I think they both excel in their own individual way.:thumbup:

Jake0

Reaction score
Imo the most replaceable JAG on the roster is Biadasz. Trade down with something like Seattle's 37 & 83 for 26 works on the trade point chart and take Avila to be the C of the future.

The Cowboys have historically had better offenses when the C was at least an anchor if not road grader like TFred or Gurode. Cowboys Time of Posession has been in the 20's these post-TFred years. Just awful. Was always in the top half of the league before that with some top 3, top 10. Thoughts on trade down for Avila at C and taking another road grader guard for LG in the later rounds like Mafi or Bradford?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Avila > Torrance

Avila also plays center.
I'm curious to hear your thoughts on these 2 players, especially Torrence.

I have Avila slightly ahead of Torrence at OG.
- Avila's experience at OC make it a clear cut decision for me.

Having said that, it's more of a gut feel than anything overly obvious.
- I don't really have a problem with Torrence's foot quickness.
- I just get a La'el vibe from watching him.
- i.e. He has the physical ability to be dominant but settles for just being good.
- For an OG with his size I expect to see him punish defenders in run blocking, but...
- He seems content to just wall them off.

They looked about equal in the Senior Bowl 1-on-1s.
- Both have strong hands "if" they get their hands in place.
- More often both require multiple retires to get good hand placement.
- Contrast with Darnell Wright who has terrific hand usage despite small (9") hands.

I want back to 2020 and watched Avila at OC.
- He looked good to me.
- Obviously not as developed as an overall player as he was in 2022, but still good.
- I like the concept of a bigger, stronger OC than Biadasz.

gtb1943

Reaction score
I'm curious to hear your thoughts on these 2 players, especially Torrence.

I have Avila slightly ahead of Torrence at OG.
- Avila's experience at OC make it a clear cut decision for me.

Having said that, it's more of a gut feel than anything overly obvious.
- I don't really have a problem with Torrence's foot quickness.
- I just get a La'el vibe from watching him.
- i.e. He has the physical ability to be dominant but settles for just being good.
- For an OG with his size I expect to see him punish defenders in run blocking, but...
- He seems content to just wall them off.

They looked about equal in the Senior Bowl 1-on-1s.
- Both have strong hands "if" they get their hands in place.
- More often both require multiple retires to get good hand placement.
- Contrast with Darnell Wright who has terrific hand usage despite small (9") hands.

I want back to 2020 and watched Avila at OC.
- He looked good to me.
- Obviously not as developed as an overall player as he was in 2022, but still good.
- I like the concept of a bigger, stronger OC than Biadasz.
Don't like that part about Torrence not giving his all. BAD. On the Line either O or D you MUST have a motor that runs ALL THE TIME.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Neither. Wait until the 4th or 5th rounds to draft an Olineman. Cowboys have bigger needs at RB, WR and DT to address in Rounds 1, 2 and 3.