Boosting our OL your choice O'Cyrus Torrence or Steve Avila

Carson

Reaction score
Neither. Wait until the 4th or 5th rounds to draft an Olineman. Cowboys have bigger needs at RB, WR and DT to address in Rounds 1, 2 and 3.
Possible Starting LG over 2nd/3rd RB 4th/5th WR? 1tech I agree but even then they are backing up Hankins

Jake0

Reaction score
Yeah I'm taking the early round IOL over the early round RB unless you're talking Bijan somehow falling to 26. Early round IOL with a 3rd/4th round RB in this draft is just fine. RBs don't do much without road graders paving the way.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Possible Starting LG over 2nd/3rd RB 4th/5th WR? 1tech I agree but even then they are backing up Hankins
We already have good backup talent that could become solid starters with better coaching. This myth of only getting starting material Olinemen in the 1st round has to stop. The Cowboys 90s Great Wall of Dallas only had 1 1st rounder. The rest were mid-to-late-to-undrafted free agent talent that was coached up to become as good as they became. If your pro football Oline can't coach up NFL mid-round draft Olinemen into quality starters, why even have an Oline coach? Cowboys fans need to start demanding their team positional coaches to start doing their jobs......or be replaced. Cowboys can't be always using 1st round picks to only find starting Olinemen while avoiding other positional weapons of need.

gtb1943

Reaction score
We already have good backup talent that could become solid starters with better coaching. This myth of only getting starting material Olinemen in the 1st round has to stop. The Cowboys 90s Great Wall of Dallas only had 1 1st rounder. The rest were mid-to-late-to-undrafted free agent talent that was coached up to become as good as they became. If your pro football Oline can't coach up NFL mid-round draft Olinemen into quality starters, why even have an Oline coach? Cowboys fans need to start demanding their team positional coaches to start doing their jobs......or be replaced. Cowboys can't be always using 1st round picks to only find starting Olinemen while avoiding other positional weapons of need.
OK, show the record of cowboys O line players considered really good that were not drafted in the first rd this century?
The record ain't good, dude.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
If Dallas passes on Torrence, the Eagles will take him with their last first round pick.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
OK, show the record of cowboys O line players considered really good that were not drafted in the first rd this century?
The record ain't good, dude.
Not personally attacking you, but it's clear you haven't paid attention or reviewed game tape.

Here. Let me help you and those who think like you (needing to draft only 1st round picks to find good Olinemen).

C Tyler Biadasz was drafted in the 4th Round. He made his 1st Pro Bowl this past season after barely his 3rd season in the league.

G Matt Farniok was drafted in the 7th Round. Farniok was having such a solid season at Left Guard before he tore his ACL, he teamed up between Biadasz and rookie Left Tackle Tyler Smith. All 3 were a very good triple combination securing the left side of our Oline. In only his 2nd season, Matt Farniok would have had a monster year starting at Left Guard had he not gotten injured.

RT Terence Steele was an undrafted free agent Olineman who was in his 3rd season and was absolutely dominant at Right Tackle. Had Steele not torn his ACL, he would have most likely made his 1st Pro Bowl as well.

Watch the films below and pay attention to all 3: Biadasz, Farniok and Steele. Absolute young and cheap beasts who were starting and dominating at their positions.

Cowboys vs Browns (2022): Week 2
230 yards passing
107 yards rushing
5.7 yards per play
1 sack allowed
Cowboys won 20 - 17

Cowboys vs Giants: Week 3
215 yards passing
176 yards rushing
6.4 yards per play
0 sacks allowed
Cowboys won 23 - 16

Starting Week 4, that joke of an ex-Oline coach, Joe Philbin, started playing games by benching Matt Farniok for a mix between Connor McGovern (3rd Round pick) and old man Jason Peters. McGovern struggled against the Commanders and Rams. It's clear the Oline was more balanced and dominant in both the run and pass when Farniok was starting at Left Guard.

Cowboys vs Commanders: Week 4
217 yards passing
62 yards rushing
4.9 yards per play
1 sack allowed

Cowboys vs Rams (2022): Week 5
76 yards passing
163 yards rushing
4.5 yards per play
5 sacks allowed
Cowboys won 22 - 10

Aside from RG Zack Martin and rookie LT Tyler Smith being 1st round picks, plus now ex-Cowboys G Connor McGovern being a 3rd round pick, the rest of the Oline was looking very solid with mid-to-late-to-undrafted players in Biadasz, Farniok and Steele. Farniok and Steele will be healed and ready to go for the upcoming 2023 Season, so there is no need to panic and waste a 1st Round pick on another Olineman. Keep drafting them in the mid-to-late rounds...and keep developing them. It's working so far in Dallas.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Not personally attacking you, but it's clear you haven't paid attention or reviewed game tape.

Here. Let me help you and those who think like you (needing to draft only 1st round picks to find good Olinemen).

C Tyler Biadasz was drafted in the 4th Round. He made his 1st Pro Bowl this past season after barely his 3rd season in the league.

G Matt Farniok was drafted in the 7th Round. Farniok was having such a solid season at Left Guard before he tore his ACL, he teamed up between Biadasz and rookie Left Tackle Tyler Smith. All 3 were a very good triple combination securing the left side of our Oline. In only his 2nd season, Matt Farniok would have had a monster year starting at Left Guard had he not gotten injured.

RT Terence Steele was an undrafted free agent Olineman who was in his 3rd season and was absolutely dominant at Right Tackle. Had Steele not torn his ACL, he would have most likely made his 1st Pro Bowl as well.

Watch the films below and pay attention to all 3: Biadasz, Farniok and Steele. Absolute young and cheap beasts who were starting and dominating at their positions.

Cowboys vs Browns (2022): Week 2
230 yards passing
107 yards rushing
5.7 yards per play
1 sack allowed
Cowboys won 20 - 17

Cowboys vs Giants: Week 3
215 yards passing
176 yards rushing
6.4 yards per play
0 sacks allowed
Cowboys won 23 - 16

Starting Week 4, that joke of an ex-Oline coach, Joe Philbin, started playing games by benching Matt Farniok for a mix between Connor McGovern (3rd Round pick) and old man Jason Peters. McGovern struggled against the Commanders and Rams. It's clear the Oline was more balanced and dominant in both the run and pass when Farniok was starting at Left Guard.

Cowboys vs Commanders: Week 4
217 yards passing
62 yards rushing
4.9 yards per play
1 sack allowed

Cowboys vs Rams (2022): Week 5
76 yards passing
163 yards rushing
4.5 yards per play
5 sacks allowed
Cowboys won 22 - 10

Aside from RG Zack Martin and rookie LT Tyler Smith being 1st round picks, plus now ex-Cowboys G Connor McGovern being a 3rd round pick, the rest of the Oline was looking very solid with mid-to-late-to-undrafted players in Biadasz, Farniok and Steele. Farniok and Steele will be healed and ready to go for the upcoming 2023 Season, so there is no need to panic and waste a 1st Round pick on another Olineman. Keep drafting them in the mid-to-late rounds...and keep developing them. It's working so far in Dallas.

Just because Biadasz made the pro bowl means little; he was the last man standing.

And guess what? Steele was NOT DRAFTED.

Your talk about game film is laughable.

I said this century and you ran and hid.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Just because Biadasz made the pro bowl means little; he was the last man standing.

And guess what? Steele was NOT DRAFTED.

Your talk about game film is laughable.

I said this century and you ran and hid.
Some of us work. I provided videos to support my statement. I did mention Steele was undrafted. Do you not understand English? Biadasz, Farniok and Steele: all 4th Round picks or later (undrafted), yet the Oline functioned best when all 3 were starting. You know what you can do with your foolish unnecessary need to draft an Olineman in the 1st Round. Save our 1st Round picks for playmakers.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
I wouldn't hate Schmitz replace Biadasz.

My dream would be

LT Tyron
LG Tyler
C JMS
RG Martin
RT Steele

If steele isnt ready

LT Tyler
LG JMS
C Biadasz
RG Martin
RT Tyron

Jake0

Reaction score
Does anyone think the line last year was a good run blocking line? It was a very boom or bust line with Pollard breaking large chunks sporadically. A good run blocking line would've made Zeke look at least average. He was bad. Breaking off long runs with good playcalling and catching the opposing defense off balance is great, but a good line imposes its will when the other team knows its coming. The line wasn't physically dominant and didn't wear down defenses. Really poor time of possession, couldn't keep the chains moving. Biadasz is not a mauler. LG last year straight sucked. Need upgrades at both positions. Really would like to see Avila + another later round LG taken to be groomed. 2023 could be Avila LG then you let Biadasz walk instead of paying him, Avila to C, and later round LG takes the dormant spot.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Some of us work. I provided videos to support my statement. I did mention Steele was undrafted. Do you not understand English? Biadasz, Farniok and Steele: all 4th Round picks or later (undrafted), yet the Oline functioned best when all 3 were starting. You know what you can do with your foolish unnecessary need to draft an Olineman in the 1st Round. Save our 1st Round picks for playmakers.
It’s like nobody in this thread watched the Cowboys in the playoffs last season. The offensive line was fine without Steele in the playoffs. Steele is coming back, Fornick is a trusted interior backup and the rookie 5th round pick will be healthy at tackle. The Cowboys need can draft a solid guard later in the draft. The issue for the Cowboys was the skill positions. If the Cowboys come up with a tight end, wide receiver, and running back with 3 out of the first 4 picks the team would greatly improve.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
It’s like nobody in this thread watched the Cowboys in the playoffs last season. The offensive line was fine without Steele in the playoffs. Steele is coming back, Fornick is a trusted interior backup and the rookie 5th round pick will be healthy at tackle. The Cowboys need can draft a solid guard later in the draft. The issue for the Cowboys was the skill positions. If the Cowboys come up with a tight end, wide receiver, and running back with 3 out of the first 4 picks the team would greatly improve.
Exactly!

Weird how so many don't understand that.

Jake0

Reaction score
Big difference between a fine and great/dominant line. I didn't think the line was fine at all vs the Niners. Couldn't run at all and Dak was pressured. What was fine about that? They don't need an early round WR. They got Cooks who should be a great compliment to CD. This draft is weak at WR. 3rd round quality players are going to go in the late 1st/2nd round. Also need to see if Tolbert amounts to anything. They can draft a mid round WR and see if they hit on someone with upside. Next year they can draft an early round WR if the need arises but this year is not ideal. They need an RB, but the draft is deep at RB and the position is devalued in the draft so should be quality available mid rounds. Early round TEs have a very high bust rate and/or poor ROI. They are in good shape to do BPA but IOL and IDL are probably preferred early.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Big difference between a fine and great/dominant line. I didn't think the line was fine at all vs the Niners. Couldn't run at all and Dak was pressured. What was fine about that? They don't need an early round WR. They got Cooks who should be a great compliment to CD. This draft is weak at WR. 3rd round quality players are going to go in the late 1st/2nd round. Also need to see if Tolbert amounts to anything. They can draft a mid round WR and see if they hit on someone with upside. Next year they can draft an early round WR if the need arises but this year is not ideal. They need an RB, but the draft is deep at RB and the position is devalued in the draft so should be quality available mid rounds. Early round TEs have a very high bust rate and/or poor ROI. They are in good shape to do BPA but IOL and IDL are probably preferred early.
You think two second round guards will turn our line into the Great Wall of Dallas? :rolleyes: :facepalm: The Cowboys line is top 10 now. We have an average receiving core, a below average tight end room and two running backs on one year contracts. We need offensive weapons.

Jake0

Reaction score
You think two second round guards will turn our line into the Great Wall of Dallas? :rolleyes: :facepalm: The Cowboys line is top 10 now. We have an average receiving core, a below average tight end room and two running backs on one year contracts. We need offensive weapons.
I can throw facepalm emojis out with stuff like You think a 1st round TE is going to come in and fix that spot with bust-proof production? too. They were also "fine" last year with Schultz who's just decent. Doubt there's much drop off with Fergushot. A Schultz that can also block is not bad, but look to hit with a 3rd/4th+.

Again RB is a need and I'd rather have 1st/2nd round IOL, preferably with a trade back and 3rd/4th round RB. Center is also 1 year remaining on his deal and he is not a mauler. Clear they're looking for mauling IOL with their draft visits. Going back to power football.

Dak can make random WRs like Cedric Wilson work, he absolutely sucks with he's pressured. Upgrade LG & C.