Signed by Cowboys Boys working deal with DE Benson Mayowa - *Signs Offer Sheet*

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
You sign him for as much as you're willing to go and see if it's enough. I don't think the answer here is to pay even more for this player.

I know. I just don't know if the answer is to give a guy a $1 to wash your car knowing that the other guy can give him $5.

To me, if you're going to go after restricted free agents, you do it with teams that you know aren't likely to match because of the need for money elsewhere. Of course, I'm not sure if there are any of those guys out there this year.

CCBoy

Reaction score
i understand that. I just don't like the attitude of "we signed him to a contract we think they'll match.'

I guess the team is just crossing their fingers that the Raiders won't.

No one said that one needs to try out a bikini before Spring Break...:)

movaughn88

Reaction score
Hardly. I like this a heck of a lot more than re-signing Hanna, Wilber and Dunbar.

Our pro scouting departments have a pretty decent record recently.

I admit I scratch my head a bit, but the fact that a late round pick even make it to the restricted year and got a tender says something.

Pretty sure the info and analysis our staff is basing their decision on is better than the armchair scouts on the board. Kid has upside, and we don't have to give up a draft pick for a young guy. I'm in.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I know. I just don't know if the answer is to give a guy a $1 to wash your car knowing that the other guy can give him $5.

To me, if you're going to go after restricted free agents, you do it with teams that you know aren't likely to match because of the need for money elsewhere. Of course, I'm not sure if there are any of those guys out there this year.

Oh, there definitely is a high demand for 5th on a depth chart...go Raiders.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Yup....doesn't make any sense.

Last week it was.....Let's be sensable about spending money......

Now you get....let's over spend on a undrafted restricted free agent...

You just can't make this stuff up. @ 3 million a year....That's almost starter money.

And I'll tell you who's gonna be ticked.....Zach Martin and Frederick

Martin cap # $2,445,763
Frederick cap# $2,185,918

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/dallas-cowboys/

Someone has some explaining to do......:rolleyes:

His cap number will be 1.8m

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
So this is just how the Joneses get their kicks?

Ha ha, watch how much we're going to make Oakland pay for this guy.

No, we are not smart like that. There is no gamesmanship here.

We literally want this player. And we challenged a team with over 25M in cap space to match our offer.

That is not how restricted FA poaching typically works.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I would actually consider the Cowboys offseason a HUGE success if I no longer had to see that #38 with Heath on the back running around wi****lly again next year.

#sad

Imagine if someone signed heath to a 3yr/8.5m offer. Do you think DAL should match? Me either.

That is what OAK thought of this guy by putting him on the lowest tender.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
The offer sheet is more money than if they tendered him at the 2nd round level. If they really wanted to keep him, they would have done that and no one would have even sniffed around him. This is definitely more than they want to pay him but they still might match just because they can. Maybe they won't want to commit to him for three years.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
So, twenty seven pages about a player who almost all of us never even heard of, and we may not even get him now if the Raiders match. Which they probably will.

Well, at least we didn't trade for him like that WR from Oakland Bryce Butler ... yet :)

Maybe the Raiders will take Jeff Heath for him. Or some other player. Heck, I'll trade them Carr straight up for this guy.

The server for this site is going to be very busy on draft day.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
His cap number will be 1.8m

Fact is.....He would be getting more money than Martin and Frederick before even playing a single snap this season.

Let that sink in.

Talk about setting your self up for a bad negotiation. Martin and Frederick aren't gonna give you a hometown discount when your spending money like this.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Anyone seen this guy play? Or are you complaining just to complain?

How many hours of scouting have you guys done?

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Fact is.....He would be getting more money than Martin and Frederick before even playing a single snap.

Let that sink in.

Talk about setting your self up for a bad negotiation. Martin and Frederick aren't gonna give you a hometown discount when your spending money like this.:rolleyes:

Martin and Frederick are on their rookie deals that are dictated by draft slot. They still got bigger signing bonuses, so I'm not sure what you are going on about.

conner01

Reaction score
Our pro scouting departments have a pretty decent record recently.

I admit I scratch my head a bit, but the fact that a late round pick even make it to the restricted year and got a tender says something.

Pretty sure the info and analysis our staff is basing their decision on is better than the armchair scouts on the board. Kid has upside, and we don't have to give up a draft pick for a young guy. I'm in.

Gonna be a lot of back peddling if the kid turns out to be a decent player
Some I think just want to gripe

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
The Cowboys are willing to pay youth. Even if young and inexperienced if their scouting department says it's a good bet.

They aren't willing to pay age and they will be very cautious in making splash free agent signings.

This has been the case since Carr...who everyone hates...but are willing to sign more Carr type deals....to whatever hot new free agent is available.

I guess you can have your cake and eat it too.