Signed by Cowboys Boys working deal with DE Benson Mayowa - *Signs Offer Sheet*

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
The Cowboys are willing to pay youth. Even if young and inexperienced if their scouting department says it's a good bet.

They aren't willing to pay age and they will be very cautious in making splash free agent signings.

This has been the case since Carr...who everyone hates...but are willing to sign more Carr type deals....to whatever hot new free agent is available.

I guess you can have your cake and eat it too.

If that was the case...then why bring in Alfred Morris or Leon Hall or Goldson?

Bizwah

Reaction score
This is the type of player I love for us to sign. He's young with tons of upside. I'm not crazy about his contract, nor am I crazy about waiting for Oakland. But if we can acquire him, he can be a very nice addition.

visionary

Reaction score
Anyone seen this guy play? Or are you complaining just to complain?

How many hours of scouting have you guys done?

Exactly
People need to look up the video you posted of his 10 sacks from last season before complaining

Geeez!!

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
the problem is if the kid is any good Oakland will just match at least they are trying.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
The Cowboys are willing to pay youth. Even if young and inexperienced if their scouting department says it's a good bet.

They aren't willing to pay age and they will be very cautious in making splash free agent signings.

This has been the case since Carr...who everyone hates...but are willing to sign more Carr type deals....to whatever hot new free agent is available.

I guess you can have your cake and eat it too.

It doesn't seem like they view Carr as a mistake. They have done nothing to correct it in 3 years.

He was young and he plays every game, so at worst they might think they overpaid by a few million but that is the cost of FA.

Why would they change their philosophy based on Carr? He is exactly what they paid for. It is rare for FAs to see Year 5 of any deal.

gmoney112

Reaction score
the problem is if the kid is any good Oakland will just match at least they are trying.

Doubt it.

He's a backup behind one of the best young pass rushers in the NFL. The other end was a high draft pick recently too. They also have another backup on a rookie contract.

I actually like the signing the more I read about him.

I absolutely hate the fact that it's obvious that Gregory is in our plans. If he wasn't on the roster Mario Williams or Ayers would be in Dallas. I'd have signed either one of them, personally. Neither got big money.

But, if you're going to target a young player for spot duty that seems to be very competitive and has potential, Benson is a good find. He's been buried on depth charts, gotten some good coaching, and has had a few years to get acclimated to the league, which isn't easy for a lot of DE early in their career.

It's a bit of a risk, but the moneys not bad. It really wouldn't take much to perform to that contract. If you offered me Benson or Long I'd take Benson right now.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
It doesn't seem like they view Carr as a mistake. They have done nothing to correct it in 3 years.

He was young and he plays every game, so at worst they might think they overpaid by a few million but that is the cost of FA.

Why would they change their philosophy based on Carr? He is exactly what they paid for. It is rare for FAs to see Year 5 of any deal.

Do you think Carr still around if MO had planned out? And Oscan hadn't torn up his knee?

Situation conspired against the boys on Carr.

But you knew this.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
This is the type of player I love for us to sign. He's young with tons of upside. I'm not crazy about his contract, nor am I crazy about waiting for Oakland. But if we can acquire him, he can be a very nice addition.

Based on youtube game film? Or have scouts said that? Just wondering.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
I've been tracking and studying comp picks since they began in 1994. Not one Restricted Free Agent has ever counted in the equation.

I could give you links to websites that explain how comp picks work, but they usually cite me as their source.

LOL!!!!

Bizwah

Reaction score
Based on youtube game film? Or have scouts said that? Just wondering.

Honestly, I didn't know a lot able him. I have been researching him the last couple of days. Seattle was high on him. Avril had some good things to say about him. I read where his teammates thought he was having a great camp and playing with more speed than anyone else.

He started as a 240 pound DE from Idaho. Reports last year had him around 267. ESPN also had him as a "name to remember " during the preseason.

Am I saying he's gonna explode with us? No....but the upside is there. He's got the attention of a number of football people. I am guessing we lose him. The Raiders are likely to match.