Signed by Cowboys Boys working deal with DE Benson Mayowa - *Signs Offer Sheet*

speedkilz88

Reaction score
With no signing bonus we could cut him any time before the season starts with no cap hit...correct?

I think he's getting paid better than that. He's at least a depth guy and STs player. Raiders already tendered him at 1.6 something.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
http://i1133.***BLOCKED***/albums/m600/DWAREZIZ/Best-NFL-Week-15-GIFs-Cowboys-Coach-Jason-Garrett-Gets-Excited-Slaps-Players-Butt.gif

I should clarify, that I'm talking about female-dog slaps and not butt slaps here, before we get a whole queue all excited about beers and slaps.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
That's true for some guys and it's a good theory to follow so you don't over spend.

But there is this ...

Chris Long ... one year, 2 million dollar deal.

Benson Mayowa ... Was tendered by Oakland, so he will get $1,671,000.00

Granted Mayowa is younger. But you can't really pass on a one year, 2 million dollar deal for a guy like Chris Long.

Long signed before even sitting down with JG.

What exactly did you want the boys to do differently there?

robjay04

Reaction score
Problem is Dallas is no longer appealing to a vet who wants to win.

Just a simple reality.

It's one season, this time last season Adrian Peterson, Cromartie, Steven Jackson all wanted to be Cowboys. While not a veteran, La'el Collins picked us over every team in the league.

It's not that they don't want to come here as much as Dallas doesn't want them enough. Lamar Miller supposedly held out for us, Cromartie is tweeting to Irvin trying to get a job. At this point, agents know Dallas isn't going to open up their wallet for a player on the market since they haven't since Brandon Carr. Do you think players want to play for teams like the Dolphons, Bucs and Jaguars every year? No they want that money.

I am confident, if Jerry really wanted someone...he would have them. We haven't really pressed for a player since Brandon Care.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
It's one season, this time last season Adrian Peterson, Cromartie, Steven Jackson all wanted to be Cowboys. While not a veteran, La'el Collins picked us over every team in the league.

It's not that they don't want to come here as much as Dallas doesn't want them enough. Lamar Miller supposedly held out for us, Cromartie is tweeting to Irvin trying to get a job. At this point, agents know Dallas isn't going to open up their wallet for a player on the market since they haven't since Brandon Carr. Do you think players want to play for teams like the Dolphons, Bucs and Jaguars every year? No they want that money.

I am confident, if Jerry really wanted someone...he would have them. We haven't really pressed for a player since Brandon Care.

The voice of reason.

robjay04

Reaction score
I think we just were clueless in this whole period.

We had one idea or a couple, they got blown up, we were left slack jawed.

You cannot say with a straight face that we have done literally anything and everything to address the DL in free agency and that we were aggressive with that idea.

It is not like we did not know the situation. We knew what the deal was with Gregory well in advance.

In other words, we thought it would be easy.

Wrong.

Now we are scraping the bottom of the trash can with SPARQ wonders that might fit with our cheap design.

I'll also comment on this.

What would you have done differently?

Jeremy Mincey has more sacks than Chris Long over the last two years, he is not the answer. The answer is also not investing huge money into players that have never even been named a fifth or sixth alternate in a pro bowl. The defensive line is a problem but the most talented player on the market is still there and we see what that got us last season. The free agency pool for quality linemen is average at best, that is why Vernon has more guarantees than Watt.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Jeremy Mincey has more sacks than Chris Long over the last two years, he is not the answer. The answer is also not investing huge money into players that have never even been named a fifth or sixth alternate in a pro bowl. The defensive line is a problem but the most talented player on the market is still there and we see what that got us last season. The free agency pool for quality linemen is average at best, that is why Vernon has more guarantees than Watt.

The answer is we have to start drafting better and we won't have this type of crisis seemingly every offseason. It's the whiffs on Ben Gardner, Ryan Russell and even Randy Gregory (so far) that lead to this.

When you basically forfeit 90% of your picks after the 2nd round every year you can not field a deep roster.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score

Pretty simple.

I would have put a full court press on obtaining a pass rusher after the first initial wave of FA.

I love the Thornton signing, but in retrospect, I would have thrown it at others knowing how grave it is now.

There are a myriad of other options we could have pursued.

I am not going to indulge you by listing them. It is pretty easy to see how the market played out in free agency once the big fish were snapped up. Take a look for yourself.

But before you do, understand that I would not be nearly as pathetically cheap as this team has been.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
The answer is we have to start drafting better and we won't have this type of crisis seemingly every offseason. It's the whiffs on Ben Gardner, Ryan Russell and even Randy Gregory (so far) that lead to this.

When you basically forfeit 90% of your picks after the 2nd round every year you can not field a deep roster.

But that is a little late to acknowledge. Per some around here, we have been drafting great.

Dwight

Reaction score
The only good signing in free agency so far is Thornton. I questioned resigning the others who got this team to a losing record last season and there wasn't an aggressive approach to signing more solid players as Thornton.

Now get ready for the offseason to get more interesting from the front office. They will draft Ramsey (instead of a QB) and select a TE in the second round. The QB, DTs and DEs will be selected in the late rounds.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Hahahahahaha. It just gets more and more comical!!!

This is our franchise!

Can't do anything but laugh and que the Benny hill music lmao

We wait and wait and wait. This is what we get? Hell just bring back Crawford, Mincey and Hardy and call it a day.

If you don't know the guy which I am only assuming since most aren't then how do you mock a POSSIBLE deal? People laughed about Irving and he turned out to be a player. I suspect he's a rotational guy here for a looksee but who knows. Right guy right time right coaching right scheme and you never know.