Signed by Cowboys Boys working deal with DE Benson Mayowa - *Signs Offer Sheet*

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Pretty simple.

I would have put a full court press on obtaining a pass rusher after the first initial wave of FA.

I love the Thornton signing, but in retrospect, I would have thrown it at others knowing how grave it is now.

There are a myriad of other options we could have pursued.

I am not going to indulge you by listing them. It is pretty easy to see how the market played out in free agency once the big fish were snapped up. Take a look for yourself.

But before you do, understand that I would not be nearly as pathetically cheap as this team has been.

21 million over 3 years was very very reasonable for Ayers, a guy that was considered a fit for Marinelli's scheme 2 years ago.

He can also be off the books by the time you extened Martin

robjay04

Reaction score
The answer is we have to start drafting better and we won't have this type of crisis seemingly every offseason. It's the whiffs on Ben Gardner, Ryan Russell and even Randy Gregory (so far) that lead to this.

When you basically forfeit 90% of your picks after the 2nd round every year you can not field a deep roster.

I completely agree. We have hit on essentially two defensive linemen that I can think of since Anthony Spencer(I could be forgetting someone) and that is Crawford and Lawrence. That is our problem, not being reluctant to chase average players on free agency.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The answer is we have to start drafting better and we won't have this type of crisis seemingly every offseason. It's the whiffs on Ben Gardner, Ryan Russell and even Randy Gregory (so far) that lead to this.

When you basically forfeit 90% of your picks after the 2nd round every year you can not field a deep roster.

Ben Gardner was a 6th or 7th round pick lol. He was never going to be anything. Ryan Russel and Gregory are one year pros. Far too early to tell on them.

robjay04

Reaction score
Ben Gardner was a 6th or 7th round pick lol. He was never going to be anything. Ryan Russel and Gregory are one year pros. Far too early to tell on them.

But what about the lack of quality defensive linemen in the draft in the last 7 years?

Since Parcells, I can name on one hand the number of linemen that we have gotten somewhat excited about A draft pick dl on this roster..

lostar2009

Reaction score
Man talking about bargain hunting.... This team is at the flea market, lol.

boysfanindc

Reaction score
By Clarence E. Hill Jr.

The Dallas Cowboys didn’t get a chance even to talk to defensive end Chris Long, who canceled a scheduled visit to the team’s Valley Ranch headquarters this week after signing a one-year deal with the New England Patriots.

But that hasn’t stopped the Cowboys from attempting to address their biggest need in free agency. A source confirmed the team plans on bringing in former Oakland Raiders defensive end Benson Mayowa for a physical Thursday in hopes of signing him to a contract.

The 6-foot-3, 252-pound Mayowa has just two sacks and three career starts in 30 games in the NFL over three seasons.

But the team is hoping the best football lies ahead for the 24-year old, who went undrafted out of the University of Idaho in 2013 before signing a free-agent contract with the Seattle Seahawks. He was waived in camp before the 2014 season and was picked up on waivers by Oakland, where he spent the past two seasons.

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/sports...orner-blog/article66557947.html#storylink=cpy

gmoney112

Reaction score
I'll also comment on this.

What would you have done differently?

Jeremy Mincey has more sacks than Chris Long over the last two years, he is not the answer. The answer is also not investing huge money into players that have never even been named a fifth or sixth alternate in a pro bowl. The defensive line is a problem but the most talented player on the market is still there and we see what that got us last season. The free agency pool for quality linemen is average at best, that is why Vernon has more guarantees than Watt.

7-8 million isn't "huge" money.

You could have had a guy who was a first team All-Pro a season ago, A 4x pro bowler, and also has two 2nd team All-Pros for 8 mill.

Or a guy who in 2014 was the most productive pass rusher in a per snap basis in the NFL, while being a top 10 edge defender in 2015 for 7 mill

Two viable choices, we didn't bother to look at either.

Last edited:

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
But what about the lack of quality defensive linemen in the draft in the last 7 years?

Since Parcells, I can name on one hand the number of linemen that we have gotten somewhat excited about A draft pick dl on this roster..

How many times have they even attempted to draft defensive end? Maybe the problem is lack of attempting to draft them.

Last year they drafted Gregory and Russell......far too early to tell what they are. The year before that they drafted Demarcus Lawrence. The year before that they didn't even draft any defensive linemen. The year before that they drafted Tyrone Crawford. Then you have to go all the way back to the terrible 2009 draft to see us draft any defensive linemen and it was a 4th round pick in Brandon Williams. And before that it was Anthony Spencer and Jason Hatcher.

Their success rate when they actually do draft defensive linemen is rather good. They just don't do it. Why that is I don't know. I'm sure its a factor of things. For one they were in the 3-4 for so long and they were set at OLB with Ware and Spencer. Once those guys were let go there should've been guys already in place but there wasn't. In part because we had so many other holes and we were trying to appease them like offensive line. Our defensive line took a hit to improve our offensive line.

So its not that they can't find them. Its that they haven't even drafted them. And when they have you can only point to one bust in Brandon Williams but even when we drafted him they said he was a special teams guy.....

LucaBrasi

Sleeps with the fishes
Reaction score

I'd give this more than 1 like if I could.