Signed by Cowboys Boys working deal with DE Benson Mayowa - *Signs Offer Sheet*

coult44

Reaction score
I'll also comment on this.

What would you have done differently?

Jeremy Mincey has more sacks than Chris Long over the last two years, he is not the answer. The answer is also not investing huge money into players that have never even been named a fifth or sixth alternate in a pro bowl. The defensive line is a problem but the most talented player on the market is still there and we see what that got us last season. The free agency pool for quality linemen is average at best, that is why Vernon has more guarantees than Watt.

I keep seeing you say that the guys on the market aren't good. Or average at best. Want to know what's funny? We have 2-3 starters on our defense that would start on a good defense! The rest of them, are average at best. Most of them are worse than average. They aren't going to get any better with this staff either. In fact, when they get here they get worse. Their ceiling go's down. If better guys aren't available on the market, we need to go create our market. Kind of like Arizona did yesterday.

gmoney112

Reaction score
You liked it but you'd rather put a ring on it?

jerry-jones-dance-o.gif

sideon

Reaction score
This is what happens when you let Stephen instead of Jerry handle FA, Stephen is so obsessed with coin saving that he's passing on deals that wouldn't hurt the cap at all:facepalm:

robjay04

Reaction score
I keep seeing you say that the guys on the market aren't good. Or average at best. Want to know what's funny? We have 2-3 starters on our defense that would start on a good defense! The rest of them, are average at best. Most of them are worse than average. They aren't going to get any better with this staff either. In fact, when they get here they get worse. Their ceiling go's down. If better guys aren't available on the market, we need to go create our market. Kind of like Arizona did yesterday.

With this staff? One season doesn't change the fact that Marinelli always gets the most out of his players. No defense would've had a chance last season considering how horrible our offense is.

9of11

Reaction score
Get ready for Johnny Football!!! after signing these type players, why not....

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
I've come to the conclusion we probably aren't going to be a good football team next year. We have one of the worst defensive lines in the NFL. We also have the band back together of Claiborne , scandrick , Carr . We aren't going anywhere.

robjay04

Reaction score
7-8 million isn't "huge" money.

You could have had a guy who was a first team All-Pro a season ago, A 4x pro bowler, and also has two 2nd team All-Pros for 8 mill.

Or a guy who in 2014 was the most productive pass rusher in a per snap basis in the NFL, while being a top 10 edge defender in 2015 for 7 mill

Two viable choices, we didn't bother to look at either.

I am assuming you're talking about the first year salary? I'm not certain the players you are referring to but the team isn't worried about this year, it's the next 3 years when 3 of our guys on rookie contracts are likely making the most at their respective positions.

I just could care less about free agency. I wanted Lamar Miller, wouldn't of minded Weddle but he was too old to get overly excited about. I am glad the team didn't invest huge contracts into players with slightly above average production like our divisional rivals did.

Good teams build their teams through the draft, they may use free agency to add a little depth. We need to draft better to be successful, not invest heavily in players that were not considered good enough to retain by the teams that know them the most.

robjay04

Reaction score
I've come to the conclusion we probably aren't going to be a good football team next year. We have one of the worst defensive lines in the NFL. We also have the band back together of Claiborne , scandrick , Carr . We aren't going anywhere.

Pretty much what I said in 2014 at this time(you probably said the same) NFL is far from predictable especially in this division.

Carson

Reaction score

Pretty much it's Romo and Dez scoring 35+ a game or we stink again

gmoney112

Reaction score
I am assuming you're talking about the first year salary? I'm not certain the players you are referring to but the team isn't worried about this year, it's the next 3 years when 3 of our guys on rookie contracts are likely making the most at their respective positions.

I just could care less about free agency. I wanted Lamar Miller, wouldn't of minded Weddle but he was too old to get overly excited about. I am glad the team didn't invest huge contracts into players with slightly above average production like our divisional rivals did.

Good teams build their teams through the draft, they may use free agency to add a little depth. We need to draft better to be successful, not invest heavily in players that were not considered good enough to retain by the teams that know them the most.

No those were their yearly salaries. One was a 2 year 16 mill deal, the other was a 3 year 21 mill deal. They both could have been off the books by the time we resigned our own, which if the cap keeps going up, wouldn't have been a problem anyways.

Good teams draft well, sure. You have too. But they do more than just use FA "build depth". They use FA to fill holes that they couldn't fill in the draft, because they were drafting BPA and didn't want to force need. You're not going to fill every need every draft if your goal, which it should be, is to take the best player.

And people can mock our division rivals all they want, but the Giants went out and got their guys. Instead we have a 20 mill cap hot for Carr, Church, and Wilcox. Is anyone still laughing?

The Ravens just paid 9 mill this year for Weddle. The Patriots went out and paid Regis a ton the year they won the Super Bowl. They went out last year and got Sheard in FA which allowed them to let Jones go for a 2nd. The Broncos took every good defensive player they could get their hands on to win a Super Bowl, including 10mill for Ware when they already had Miller. The Seahawks signed both Avril, Bennett, and I think Branch/Mebane the year they won the Super bowl. The Packers went out and paid an "old" Julius Peppers who's been a figure piece in that defensive front and who made the play of the game in stripping Murray. The Cardinals are another example.

It's simply too coincidental to fill every need in the draft, if you happened to hit on your needs by drafting BPA then you either hit the jackpot or you adopted a poor drafting philosophy.

Somehow this notion that "good teams don't go crazy in FA" has turned into "good teams never get anyone in FA over vet minimum" which is simply false. The best teams recognize holes and fill them. They don't go crazy but they do get their guys.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Hahahahahaha. It just gets more and more comical!!!

This is our franchise!

Can't do anything but laugh and que the Benny hill music lmao

We wait and wait and wait. This is what we get? Hell just bring back Crawford, Mincey and Hardy and call it a day.

It is journeyman/whatshisname season for Sir Jerry, football guy.