News: BR: Don't Be Surprised If Dak Prescott and the Dallas Cowboys Part Ways

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Starting to think that dallas will let dak walk. Rams are already ready to move on from goff even though his 4y/134m extension is about to start due to his mediocrity and their cap situation. Philly trying to resurrect wentz with reich lite due that contract and their cap situation. Detroit moving on from stafford. hard to see dallas meeting dak’s price, and tagging again for 37.7m kills their cap for 2021. unless dak moves much more than jerry, it’s over. Jerry and Stephen seem unwilling to meet Dak’s market demands even though they met Lawrence’s, Jaylon’s, and Cooper’s, and then went above market for Zeke.

Dak holds all the cards, so he has no reason to budge.

1) Dak is not in the driver's seat when it comes to passing a physical before FA begins or the draft begins. If he isn't able to pass a physical before those two key events, he loses a ton of leverage.
2) Dak is not in the driver's seat if the cap is around $180M which insiders rumor it to be.
3) Dak is not in the driver's seat when it comes to what other teams think of him vs the other QBs on the market with much lower prices.

Market value will not be kind to Dak if he cannot pass a physical and cannot run and pass before the draft. After the draft, Dak has little leverage as teams are not willing nor have the cap space to pay a QB $35M/yr with $100M guaranteed.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Don't Be Surprised If Dak Prescott and the Dallas Cowboys Part Ways

hi-res-b304ee83552dc81b39428db613247df2_crop_exact.jpg

Speculation regarding the 2021 NFL quarterback carousel has focused mainly on Deshaun Watson, Matthew Stafford , Jimmy Garoppolo and even Aaron Rodgers , but all of those guys remain under contract...

Read Full Story

I think it's rubbish. We can keep Dak and still build a defence. How? Draft well on defence. Drafting is the best way to build the team. If we had money for Zeke and Jaylon Smith, who aren't living up to their contracts, we can certainly afford Dak who HAS put the work in to improve every year, and we SHOULD keep him. Especially with the fact we need defence in the worst way.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Whatever, I’ll take the BYU qb if it comes to this. Dak will be fine as will the Boys.

I don't think Wilson will be available number 1. And number 2, I'm not taking him over Surtain who could create a monster CB combo with Diggs.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Cannot see that happening, but as always I post articles I find whether I agree with them or not.

Codwally Nine and a big shout!

I regret I canna find a BIGGER LIKE BUTTON!!!!!
Thanks, matey ... I mean dear leader.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Starting to think that dallas will let dak walk. Rams are already ready to move on from goff even though his 4y/134m extension is about to start due to his mediocrity and their cap situation. Philly trying to resurrect wentz with reich lite due that contract and their cap situation. Detroit moving on from stafford. hard to see dallas meeting dak’s price, and tagging again for 37.7m kills their cap for 2021. unless dak moves much more than jerry, it’s over. Jerry and Stephen seem unwilling to meet Dak’s market demands even though they met Lawrence’s, Jaylon’s, and Cooper’s, and then went above market for Zeke.

Dak holds all the cards, so he has no reason to budge.
You know what is funny Goff is certainly on the same level as Dak and is a better pocket passer. His contract is not to bad and he is younger then Dak. 33 million for Goff or 40 for Dak. I know what my answer would be. You probably could get him for a 3rd round pick too.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Very solid article. I completely agree that the least likely option is a franchise tag that will hamstring the team financially and force them to re-work many contracts just to get under the cap. Then we would not be left with any money to improve the defense. On paper, given the free agent losses, we could enter the 2021 season with an even less promising defense.

Jerry has until March 17th to sign Dak or move on. So, there is no room for either side to play hardball. With a healthy crop of available QBs this offseason and the #10 pick, Jerry could easily decide to move on.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m gonna take an unpopular opinion across these boards and blame this situation on the Joneses. I know this place worships and praises those guys but this contract issue is 100% their fault.
:laugh:

bigE79

Reaction score
It shouldn’t. No repeat winners in the East and forever. Only missed out by a game and had about 50 injuries lol
Everyone has injuries,that's a tired excuse...not being an *** but if I'm not mistaken,did we not lose to a JV eagles team in 19 that had more injured than we had this year,and that game was for the division and the whole team choked...that team was pathetic and embarrassing,and they picked up right where they left of this year... coaching changed,but these gutless players remain.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Letting him walk for the price he wants is too smart of a move for the Jones’s.

They will sign us up for mediocrity and this fan base will applaud them while it’s happening.

“Letting him walk” with nothing to show for it. Is not smart. Not at all.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
“Letting him walk” with nothing to show for it. Is not smart. Not at all.

Get a 3rd round comp pick for him if he leaves. Assuming he signs a gargantuan contract.

Do you think anyone is offering anything for a QB who might not be able to pass a physical and wants $100M guaranteed and a 4-year contract at $35-40M/year?

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I don't really care anymore to be honest. Just get it the F over with and do whatever the hell you're going to do. Don't drag this crap out until July like last year. Either fish or cut bait. If Dak won't budge off the short term deal let him walk. If you're going to suck you may as well keep the 40 million a year and go back to the drawing board. And on a short term deal with a 40 million dollar a year cap hit you're all but guaranteeing your team will suck because everybody else on the team will be Dollar Tree players. No thanks. Tag him to make sure you get something in return if another team takes him but under no circumstances should this team sign any contract that does not place the 2021 cap hit any higher than 25 million. Period.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
I don't think Wilson will be available number 1. And number 2, I'm not taking him over Surtain who could create a monster CB combo with Diggs.
IMO, Surtain doesn't have enough twist in his hips. Meaning he's not a good athlete. He has more than likely benefited from playing on a defense that has a lot of NFL type talent on it.

As I look at the highlights, I began to like Jaycee Horn a lot better. Just my opinion, though.