Video: Break down of the 2 point conversion by Cris Carter and Mangini

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak needed to roll to the left as soon as he saw the safety uncovered. It would have given him a few more seconds.
The blitzed had a full head of stem coming before Dak could have taken his first step. Starting from a standstill Dak wouldn’t have had a chance, especially going to his left where he would have needed a few steps to get in position to throw.

Cmac

Reaction score
If Lincoln Riley's is the next savior.....do you think Kellen Moore is holding the play sheet, other than to hand over to Lincoln?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
point it out at the line...
Do we know he didn’t. I couldn’t hear what he was yelling, could you? But for that matter, ocassionally a blitz is just timed perfectly. Let’s not act as even the best of the best QBs have never got caught in a blitz. It’s all dependent on how well the blockers pick it up.

Reactions: CWR

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
A QB can often tell a blitz is coming, but his expectation would be for someone to pick up the blitzed or at least slow him down.

Yes but as you can see he neither tries to get rid of it quickly or runs for it. But we can all see #22 moving to blitz, but Martin does not pick this guy up and Dak just didn't look ready to do anything at all with the ball. It's like he didn't see it coming at all he was all focused on witten.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm always fascinated by guys who see football but have no idea what they're watching, or are so driven by an agenda that they just come off that way.
What did I say that was incorrect. You didn’t put any actual content in your post so I can’t respond to whatever is in your mind.

khiladi

Reaction score
Do we know he didn’t. I couldn’t hear what he was yelling, could you? But for that matter, ocassionally a blitz is just timed perfectly. Let’s not act as even the best of the best QBs have never got caught in a blitz. It’s all dependent on how well the blockers pick it up.

a spread should make it easier to decipher.. there is no reason to assume he did based on what followed.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
It was a bad throw, like three feet behind Witten. He had enough time to put it where Witten turned.

That being said, I don’t get why people are harping in the spread, when the previous play to score the TD was a QB run. They probably tried catching them off guard with the spread. Maybe a QB draw.
I don't get it either.

I'm not seeing the huge problem with the play call many others are. The blitz meant the middle was going to be vacated except for the safety. Having your HOF TE posting up right in front of the QB with only the safety to worry about doesn't really seem all that bad to me. It absolutely has to be a quick, accurate throw to work though. Never going to get three seconds plus to run that one. It's the kind of 'hot route' play you call against that defense.

SWHawk

Reaction score
Why was Zeke motioned out? Dak needs to be able to recognize the blitz.....
If Dak recognized the blitz, why didn't he bring Zeke back as protection? The play design was to throw to Witten as he was the target, not Zeke. It appears Dak didn't recognize the blitz and that's concerning...especially in his fourth year.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes but as you can see he neither tries to get rid of it quickly or runs for it. But we can all see #22 moving to blitz, but Martin does not pick this guy up and Dak just didn't look ready to do anything at all with the ball. It's like he didn't see it coming at all he was all focused on witten.
He released the ball before he could even come set after his drop back. You have to remember that a QB doesn't get to see replays and slow motion. For him it just starts as a mass of huge bodies and he is looking for the receiver and then one guy comes through like a slingshot.

This really isn't the first time this has ever happened to a QB, even the best QBs of all time have had this happen.

khiladi

Reaction score
I don't get it either.

I'm not seeing the huge problem with the play call many others are. The blitz meant the middle was going to be vacated except for the safety. Having your HOF TE posting up right in front of the QB with only the safety to worry about doesn't really seem all that bad to me. It absolutely has to be a quick, accurate throw to work though. Never going to get three seconds plus to run that one. It's the kind of 'hot route' play you call against that defense.

We spread a lot with Dak on this situations. I don’t remember it much with Garrett. Looking at college clips, it looks like Miss. State ran spread formations a lot down close with Dak.

We often ran the back shoulder fade with Romo.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
a spread should make it easier to decipher.. there is no reason to assume he did based on what followed.
TEven if he didn't (and we don't know that he didn't) the LB was stationary behind the LOS, so he could have blitzed, stayed close to play the run, or dropped back in coverage. There really isn't any sure fire way to tell unless he starts the blitz too early.

Zman5

Reaction score
We spread a lot with Dak on this situations. I don’t remember it much with Garrett. Looking at college clips, it looks like Miss. State ran spread formations a lot down close with Dak.

We often ran the back shoulder fade with Romo.

Before Dez became the TD monster, Garrett used to do this all the time. Many used to scream not to go empty spread so often near the endzone.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Mangini and Cris Carter breaks down the 2point conversion play. I know Moore called this play and will get the blame but this play has been staple of JG's offense. A play where all the receiver run a curl route to a same depth. 322 all curl.

Typically we run this play a lot on 3rd and long where all the receiver runs near the stick and gets tackled short of the 1st down marker. One of the worst plays we've ran/run in JG era.

Honestly the biggest thing I see here is pass interference, Why did Garrett hold the flag - there was absolutely no reason not to challenge that!

khiladi

Reaction score
Before Dez became the TD monster, Garrett used to do this all the time. Many used to scream not to go empty spread so often near the endzone.

I only remember a lot of spread on hurry-up, when we had to abandon Garrett’s trash play calling. We were like bottom of the league in first half scoring.

romonumberone

Reaction score
Dak motioned Zeke out of the backfield. If he had let Zeke stay. Zeke would have blocked the free man. It happens.

The play call was giving the Jets what they wanted. They wanted to have Dak try & beat them. The Wr's down near the goal line have very little room to work with and get open. Pinpoint precision passing is not yet Dak's strength. Dak's good passes are generally broken plays and when he just lets the ball rip.

The one thing Dak is a stud at is running the ball and having tacklers get dragged for 3-4 yards. I would have called a running play for Dak and told Dak to get in at all costs.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
Honestly the biggest thing I see here is pass interference, Why did Garrett hold the flag - there was absolutely no reason not to challenge that!

Except for that he couldn't challenge it by rule, under 2 min. If you are talking about the 2pt conversion play.

Zman5

Reaction score
I only remember a lot of spread on hurry-up, when we had to abandon Garrett’s trash play calling. We were like bottom of the league in first half scoring.

We used to do this all the time near the endzone. And people had same complaints back then. Why are we telling the defense we are passing?
Funny thing is Romo haters used to blame Romo claiming he audible out of the supposed run play JG called. Now Dak haters are blaming him for not audibling to a run.

Two different QBs, same play ,same HC, and same crappy result. You do the math who is making these decisions.

khiladi

Reaction score
We used to do this all the time near the endzone. And people had same complaints back then. Why are we telling the defense we are passing?
Funny thing is Romo haters used to blame Romo claiming he audible out of the supposed run play JG called. Now Dak haters are blaming him for not audibling to a run.

Two different QBs, same play ,same HC, and same crappy result. You do the math who is making these decisions.

well, we didn’t have a run game then. We do now..

Zman5

Reaction score
well, we didn’t have a run game then. We do now..

Still not a good reason to go empty within few yards of the goal line. That makes it too easy for the opposing defense.