Breaking down Center Brock Hoffman and Guard TJ Bass

blueblood70

Reaction score
In my opinion the bpa at 24 will not be a qb. I suspect that it will be an olineman, wr, dtackle, or edge.
Correct most people here there are three centers that are probably first round grades but if a guy like sweat is there or someone on equal level it knows tackle I know nobody wants to do that but you might have to do that because if one of these other centers drop into the second round then you have to go up and get that one later and get the bigger position of need I mean I realize people want BPA they throw that word around but if all things being equal you gotta take your need first..

That's why if I'm the GM picking there's no way I'm taking the wide receiver or the edge if they are the highest rated you gotta go with the very next closest highest rated of need you just can't take something you truly don't need in a year where everything is hinging on getting to an NFC championship game or this whole thing can be blown up you can't play around with players of the future or the best player available you have to literally fill those holes not reaching but again something close so if the best is a wide receiver but the grades pretty close to say a guy like sweat then you gotta take the nose tackle/DT...or the LB not sure the LB crop but a MLB would be great...

Dalmations202

Reaction score
Except for one of the facts is if you're looking for a better quarterback than Prescott,

95 quarterbacks were taken since 2016 you know when we drafted Prescott and only one of them has won a Super Bowl... Let that sink in, 95 quarterbacks and only one drafted quarterback has won a SB and that would be Patrick Mahomes...

So if it's going further in the playoffs like getting to a Super Bowl and or winning a Super Bowl it might take more than one attempt at getting a quarterback at 24 too increase our odds at getting to where we wanna go...

at this point Prescott is the person that would give us those odds, regardless of what this fan base thinks of him but I get your point but we actually don't need a quarterback and that would be a monumental waste in order to play chicken with your quarterback and waste an opportunity to find a day one starter... They actually did that last year with the draft and they can't afford to do it this year they look for role players and future players to develop we have to find two or three day one starters in this draft and then fill it the rest of the team in with the free agent pool that's left we cannot afford to take a quarterback at 24 in my opinion..

look around the league, great quarterbacks are hard to find and most of them are not making the Super bowl just like Prescott and many of them are overpaid as well many of them have giant contracts as well..

so that was my point you take a guy that we don't need at this point because you said it we have trey or we can go get a veteran like other teams have to bridge the gap like Flacco you can find a guy like him you go get brissett if in fact we lose Prescott there will be options because the odds of getting our new starter that first try or astronomical almost non-existent....
I was going to express my thoughts on America's Cowboy reply, but this one is a much better discussion.

You may be 100% correct, or you might not be correct on Dak. How do you know, if you don't bring in guys for competition?

Here is what you do know. Dak is a GOOD Qb. I hope no one denies that. But add to that, in 8 years Dak has not been able to get Dallas past the round of 8 in the playoffs.
So your reply is but it is a Team game, Dak is not the one to blame. My reply to that is OK, it is a team game with a salary cap.

If Dak wants to lead the Dallas Cowboys to the Superbowl, then take a lower salary with incentives for WINNING.
From the team standpoint, Why wouldn't Dallas add competition to the position. Jerry Jones was an absolute marketing genius to make Dak the face of the franchise, but is now the IDIOT because now he doesn't have the cap space to upgrade the team around him properly. He over valued Daks ability, and the team is paying the price.

Dak has been paid as the best, but never been the best. He has never won when there were 8 teams left. 8 out of 32 Teams. If he has gotten to the point of the top 1/4 of the league - he doesn't win.

For all the stating that he is so GREAT........all I called for was COMPETITION, and trying to upgrade any/all positions so my 30 year old kids could actually see a winning team instead of the failures we have presently.

You may be correct that 95 QB aren't better than him. You may be correct that Dak would beat out any and all comers. I would love to see Dak win. I just hate to see him fight to be paid as the best, when he hasn't played as the best. Forget the beauty pageant awards where you get the trophy because your buddies or the media voted for you. Forget the charisma, marketing and modeling, because that don't impress me at all.

Show me and I will back Dak, like I back Roger Staubach (Greatest player in NFL history), and Troy Aikmen, and a host of others.

Until I see Dallas playing like a championship team - then Dallas should be playing the UPGRADE game, and not the marketing one.

And one more thing. Dak was a 4th round pick, Brock Purdy a 7th round, Tom Brady a 6th round, Roger Staubach a 10th rounder ---- all of them had competition to get there, why shouldn't Dallas draft some - I don't care which round ? ?

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
He along with a group of fans in our fan base do believe that somehow it would be very easy to upgrade from Prescott which they think that you could just reach into the draft or go out and get anybody to be better than Prescott second team all pro second MVP boating ranked top three last year has no losing seasons and yet they think that we could just play chicken with him and go draft another guy or bring someone else in or the best ones on here they think Cooper rush with the right team around him can be better than Prescott in the playoffs...

The only true upgrade from Prescott in my opinion would be Patrick mahomes everything else is debatable.. Because we're just talking about playoff success and Super Bowls and then you got to factor in age and where your players are at right now there's only one player that's truly better than Prescott which makes him truly better than the rest of the leagues quarterbacks... And then you look at other people's lists they think Josh Allen is better Lamar Jackson a few other players maybe a healthy Joe Burrows but where's all the proof none of them are winning Super Bowls there's only one player in the 95 players drafted since 2016 at quarterback that's 1A Super Bowl and that would be Patrick mahomes so if that's the measuring stick then there isn't even a quarterback available that we know for a fact in the draft or even in a trade that's going to be an upgrade so somebody's gotta stop throwing the word around upgrade because that what does that really mean??​
Dak detractors have turned into a bunch of whiny spoiled fans gone crazy. They don't even make sense.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Apparently there's three centers in this draft that are worth taking probably in the first round we might get lucky and find one in the second round I mean the guy you mentioned his name's being thrown all around but the guy from West Virginia I believe I can't remember his name off hand and then there's another guy they were just talking about looking at the combine numbers he's supposed to be either a good guard or a center is supposed to be gone in the first round as well so you don't have to be locked on to one guy...

hers the list graded inn this draft. Frazier is equal to JPJ in manys options and Bartons a G who can play center and supposed to be the best athlete of all of them. So those three can all go in the first round but if any one of those three falls to the second round the Cowboys have to go get them but going desperate because JPJ is there what if the best linebacker in the draft is there or even sweat the defensive tackle nose tackle from Texas might be hard to pass up on those guys because they're bigger needs... That is what this post was about to remind you that Hoffman can probably play center this year at a very good level...

• Graham Barton, Duke.
  • Jackson Powers-Johnson, Oregon.
  • Zach Frazier, West Virginia.
  • Sedrick Van Pran, Georgia.
  • Tanor Bortolini, Wisconsin.
  • Graham Barton, Duke. - 2nd TM All American, 2 x 1st TM All-ACC
  • Jackson Powers-Johnson, Oregon. - Rimington Trophy, Unanimous All American, 1st TM All-PAC 12
  • Zach Frazier, West Virginia. - 1st TM All-Big 12
  • Sedrick Van Pran, Georgia. - 1st TM ALL-SEC, Jacobs Blocking Trophy
  • Tanor Bortolini, Wisconsin. - 3rd TM All-Big Ten
Good list.

Jackson is the best in the list. Same honors as TBiadasz.

Mr_437

Reaction score
I like the security of Bass n Hoff as backup IOL. Cowboys lost 2 starting OL, so they should bring in two from the draft or FA.

I do believe starting one of these guys is ok to still have a decent OL.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I like the security of Bass n Hoff as backup IOL. Cowboys lost 2 starting OL, so they should bring in two from the draft or FA.

I do believe starting one of these guys is ok to still have a decent OL.
Bass and Richards seems to be the best of the lot.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Apparently there's three centers in this draft that are worth taking probably in the first round we might get lucky and find one in the second round I mean the guy you mentioned his name's being thrown all around but the guy from West Virginia I believe I can't remember his name off hand and then there's another guy they were just talking about looking at the combine numbers he's supposed to be either a good guard or a center is supposed to be gone in the first round as well so you don't have to be locked on to one guy...

hers the list graded inn this draft. Frazier is equal to JPJ in manys options and Bartons a G who can play center and supposed to be the best athlete of all of them. So those three can all go in the first round but if any one of those three falls to the second round the Cowboys have to go get them but going desperate because JPJ is there what if the best linebacker in the draft is there or even sweat the defensive tackle nose tackle from Texas might be hard to pass up on those guys because they're bigger needs... That is what this post was about to remind you that Hoffman can probably play center this year at a very good level...

• Graham Barton, Duke.
  • Jackson Powers-Johnson, Oregon.
  • Zach Frazier, West Virginia.
  • Sedrick Van Pran, Georgia.
  • Tanor Bortolini, Wisconsin.
There are a few good Centers who could be had in the middle rounds.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
  • Jackson Powers-Johnson, Oregon. - Rimington Trophy, Unanimous All American, 1st TM All-PAC 12
  • Zach Frazier, West Virginia. - 1st TM All-Big 12
  • Sedrick Van Pran, Georgia. - 1st TM ALL-SEC, Jacobs Blocking Trophy
  • Tanor Bortolini, Wisconsin. - 3rd TM All-Big Ten
Good list.

Jackson is the best in the list. Same honors as TBiadasz.
Funny you mention Rimington Trophy honors by JPJ being the same as Biadasz.

Check out Tyler Biadasz's Wisconsin college stats when it comes to sacks allowed, pressures allowed and hurries allowed.

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/tyler-biadasz/41178/draft-profile

Meanwhile, Miami Hurricanes Matt Lee had better stats numbers playing both in the ACC and AAC even though he was added as a Rimington Trophy preseason watch list nominee, 2nd team All ACC and ended up with better stats...

https://miamihurricanes.com/roster/matt-lee/

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/matt-lee/98544/draft-profile

Matt Lee could be had in the middle rounds.

75boyz

Reaction score
LOL. Here we go. The age old tradition of seeing the Cowboys do nothing in FA and then turning to what we already have on the roster and convincing ourselves the answers to our issues might already be here.

It rivals the UDFA hype in August when a couple UDFAs have a great fall camp or a preseason game.
Totally agree with you on this for most of the time but last year was an outlier in terms of drafted guys vs. UDFA rookie impacts.

UDFAs Bass and Aubry were by far our best 2 rookies while all the draftees sucked/were injured or little to no impact.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
well yeah that list i put up there is the top five graded centers in this draft..
Understood, but Center can be addressed during the middle rounds.

Like you said, what if the best LB or DT are sitting there to be taken? Or even the best RB? Cowboys would be foolish not to take one of those bests because the drop-off is much bigger at those positions after you get out of the first 2 rounds.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Funny you mention Rimington Trophy honors by JPJ being the same as Biadasz.

Check out Tyler Biadasz's Wisconsin college stats when it comes to sacks allowed, pressures allowed and hurries allowed.

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/tyler-biadasz/41178/draft-profile

Meanwhile, Miami Hurricanes Matt Lee had better stats numbers playing both in the ACC and AAC even though he was added as a Rimington Trophy preseason watch list nominee, 2nd team All ACC and ended up with better stats...

https://miamihurricanes.com/roster/matt-lee/

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/matt-lee/98544/draft-profile

Matt Lee could be had in the middle rounds.
Solid player.

Good research man.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I was disappointed they played Edoga over Richards because I really wanted to see Asim is real game action. We got to see Bass be solid, and maybe we'd had a better picture if AS got the same opportunity instead of a journeyman.
Asim Richards

3rd team All-ACC

Strengths​

* Three-year starter. * Well-developed lower half. * Understands where to target hand placement. * Carves out space with drive-blocking power. * Climbs his combo blocks with adequate timing. * Fires heavy hands into pass rusher. * Makes proper adjustments against twisting fronts. * Play strength benefits him in scramble situations in protection.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
TJ Bass

2x 1st Team All-PAC12

Strengths​

* Good thickness throughout his frame. * Experience at left tackle should help his pass pro at guard. * Keeps hands cocked and ready in his pass sets. * Makes his first contact count on combo blocks. * Climbs to second level with adequate timing and angles. * Uses inside hands and accelerating feet to create movement. * Stays after his work and finishes with some grit.

Texas_Pete

Reaction score
Brock working out with Zach Martin:

He's likely our starting center and the Cowboys will draft Tyron Smith's replacement at 24.

1942willys

Reaction score
if the boys are going with him, pray for a lightning strike like Steele. Because that is what it would be for him to be better than Biadasz