Breaking down Center Brock Hoffman and Guard TJ Bass

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
The honest assessment of those three is that they are projects and were drafted/signed where they were because they simply weren't as talented as others. And that considering these factors on top of the fact that they all have limited PT in the NFL, considering them "solutions" along the OL so we can then go out and use our money and draft capital on flashy positions like RBs and WRs and CBs and LBs is a silly way to build this roster.

So if Jerry and his halfwitted son have decided that they didn't need to address OL in FA and can just throw some late round picks at the OL because they have those three, that's a massive risk.
3 SB championship trophies from the 90s totally prove you wrong.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Before Bill Simmons became a household name, he used to have a regular Boston article. Every so often he would write something called "The Patrick Ewing Theory." Basically... it was about how Ewing was the obvious big man superstar of the Knicks and Georgetown, yet when he was out of the game, they actually played better. He would point out another team in his articles that is somehow just playing better with the all-star out.

That's the best way I can explain my optimism for our offensive line. I know what I saw those 2 games that Hoffman and Bass started and it was a different chemistry. Maybe just the gift of youth and less complacency. Two guys that are still fighting for an NFL life. You would think when names like Tyron Smith, Zack Martin are gone, it would be the opposite. But I have hope the Cowboys will not miss a beat, at least on interior line, with these two young guys. Much more worried about the OTs, but think if they stay healthy, these young guys will worse case scenario have same results as last season's starters which wasn't all that great to begin with.
Great point!

Rayman70

Reaction score
Bpa is the way to go. A very good player is going to drop to 24.
a corner is needed too. Id love to take Wiggins or TJ Tampa. We just dont have enough good corners to cover good receivers. Not sure why many are missing this. Corner is a need. Cooper Delean is another guy. He can play safety and corner like he did at Iowa. Hes a ball hawk and playmaker with flex, whch we luv. He can start day 1 and help us. Zimmer kind of guy. Reminds me of a better Harrison Smith in Minny.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Jerry needs his diaper changed. I think its time for his pudding cup too.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Bpa is the way to go. A very good player is going to drop to 24.
So, you would take the truly best player on the board even if it was a quarterback??

I'm just saying best player available also has to match a need therefore you have to have your grades and if the grades are all equal you take your most positional need sometimes there might be 3 players with the same grade... And in that case you would take the player you most need to fill a big hole I mean I get what you're saying about BPA but at some point you can't just take anyone when you're loaded at other positions there are some that would not make sense... Like I know a lot of you don't like the tight end we took him the second round there probably was another position to take there that was better fit for the team but maybe he was graded higher than most of the other people that was on their board at the time we don't know that....

I don't think we need a quarterback or a wide receiver bad enough to take one and maybe even the pass rush here we don't need a pass rusher so yeah I mean it kind of gets grainy and who you should really take you should not reach for need but sometimes you gotta look at the grades and still take need over a position you absolutely have no room for...

blueblood70

Reaction score
Brock Hoffman breakdown

Brock Hoffman and TJ Bass breakdown

There might be hope staying in-house with filling vacant holes on the Cowboys offensive line.

:starspin:

I've been saying this since last year, they literally have been drafting some solid offensive line and undrafted but obviously they brought in talent, you can't have pro bowlers at every position you for sure can't have all pros at every position....

I think not only these two guys but Richards has something as well... We are not desperate to pick an offensive lineman in the first round that's for sure not with all the other holes we have on this team the only offensive player that we truly need to fill a position in this draft is a running back a true stud running back..

Sydla

Reaction score
3 SB championship trophies from the 90s totally prove you wrong.
3 SB championships from another era when there was no cap and you could throw money at problems without worrying about much is a pretty shoddy comparison. I mean using the 3 SB champs angle here, you need a 1st round RB to win SBs. But we know the game has evolved, the cap has changed things, etc.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
3 SB championships from another era when there was no cap and you could throw money at problems without worrying about much is a pretty shoddy comparison. I mean using the 3 SB champs angle here, you need a 1st round RB to win SBs. But we know the game has evolved, the cap has changed things, etc.
Those linemen of the 90s were paid the least on the team. Totally the opposite today.

Another fail.

Dalmations202

Reaction score
So, you would take the truly best player on the board even if it was a quarterback??

<snip>
Just my opinion, But..............
If the best player on my board was a QB, I would run to the podium and not wait on the time limit, nor take any calls.

Draft a QB in 1st and since Dak has not been re-signed yet, he has real competition. TLance does as well.
You then have options, and Dak's leverage is removed. If Dak want to QB the Cowboys, PROVE IT and sign a team friendly deal.
If Dak wants to be complacent and only wants the $$$$, play him with the 2nd team a while while watching TLance and train the draft pick up. Then if you make the correct choice of TLance or 1st pick, bench Dak or make him #3.
IF BPA is QB......get your QB and force competition. STOP playing games with ANY position. Football is an UPGRADE game, and JJones plays it like a marketing one. Jerry won the marketing game, just not the competitive one on the field.

PS: Dak loses millions if Dallas wins without him and he was benched. Jerry gets to say he finally saw the light and he was right to not sign him. Teams just got limited because they saw what happened with Wilson in Denver. Money gets freed up because QB on initial contract. The only downside is for Dak -- as long as they WIN.

Drafting a QB in round one might be the BEST Idea Dallas has had in YEARS......as long as the QB they draft is BPA and becomes a franchise QB.

rambo2

Reaction score

I'm just saying best player available also has to match a need therefore you have to have your grades and if the grades are all equal you take your most positional need sometimes there might be 3 players with the same grade... And in that case you would take the player you most need to fill a big hole I mean I get what you're saying about BPA but at some point you can't just take anyone when you're loaded at other positions there are some that would not make sense... Like I know a lot of you don't like the tight end we took him the second round there probably was another position to take there that was better fit for the team but maybe he was graded higher than most of the other people that was on their board at the time we don't know that....

I don't think we need a quarterback or a wide receiver bad enough to take one and maybe even the pass rush here we don't need a pass rusher so yeah I mean it kind of gets grainy and who you should really take you should not reach for need but sometimes you gotta look at the grades and still take need over a position you absolutely have no room for...
In my opinion the bpa at 24 will not be a qb. I suspect that it will be an olineman, wr, dtackle, or edge.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
If the best player on my board was a QB, I would run to the podium and not wait on the time limit, nor take any calls.

Draft a QB in 1st and since Dak has not been re-signed yet, he has real competition. TLance does as well.
You then have options, and Dak's leverage is removed. If Dak want to QB the Cowboys, PROVE IT and sign a team friendly deal.
If Dak wants to be complacent and only wants the $$$$, play him with the 2nd team a while while watching TLance and train the draft pick up. Then if you make the correct choice of TLance or 1st pick, bench Dak or make him #3.
IF BPA is QB......get your QB and force competition. STOP playing games with ANY position. Football is an UPGRADE game, and JJones plays it like a marketing one. Jerry won the marketing game, just not the competitive one on the field.

PS: Dak loses millions if Dallas wins without him and he was benched. Jerry gets to say he finally saw the light and he was right to not sign him. Teams just got limited because they saw what happened with Wilson in Denver. Money gets freed up because QB on initial contract. The only downside is for Dak -- as long as they WIN.

Drafting a QB in round one might be the BEST Idea Dallas has had in YEARS......as long as the QB they draft is BPA and becomes a franchise QB.
"Football is an UPGRADE game"

Dak just had one of his best career seasons while voted "All Pro", but "Football is an UPGRADE game"???

This sounds more about personal choice and feelings than it does about football.

HappyOnions

Datwin
Reaction score
Id still take Jackson Powers Johnson if available... A day one starter and someone that should be with us for 10+ years.

Whomever the next QB is, they would benefit heavily from having a great center helping diagnose defenses at the line.

blueblood70

Reaction score

Except for one of the facts is if you're looking for a better quarterback than Prescott,

95 quarterbacks were taken since 2016 you know when we drafted Prescott and only one of them has won a Super Bowl... Let that sink in, 95 quarterbacks and only one drafted quarterback has won a SB and that would be Patrick Mahomes...

So if it's going further in the playoffs like getting to a Super Bowl and or winning a Super Bowl it might take more than one attempt at getting a quarterback at 24 too increase our odds at getting to where we wanna go...

at this point Prescott is the person that would give us those odds, regardless of what this fan base thinks of him but I get your point but we actually don't need a quarterback and that would be a monumental waste in order to play chicken with your quarterback and waste an opportunity to find a day one starter... They actually did that last year with the draft and they can't afford to do it this year they look for role players and future players to develop we have to find two or three day one starters in this draft and then fill it the rest of the team in with the free agent pool that's left we cannot afford to take a quarterback at 24 in my opinion..

look around the league, great quarterbacks are hard to find and most of them are not making the Super bowl just like Prescott and many of them are overpaid as well many of them have giant contracts as well..

so that was my point you take a guy that we don't need at this point because you said it we have trey or we can go get a veteran like other teams have to bridge the gap like Flacco you can find a guy like him you go get brissett if in fact we lose Prescott there will be options because the odds of getting our new starter that first try or astronomical almost non-existent....

blueblood70

Reaction score
"Football is an UPGRADE game"

Dak just had one of his best career seasons while voted "All Pro", but "Football is an UPGRADE game"???

This sounds more about personal choice and feelings than it does about football.
He along with a group of fans in our fan base do believe that somehow it would be very easy to upgrade from Prescott which they think that you could just reach into the draft or go out and get anybody to be better than Prescott second team all pro second MVP boating ranked top three last year has no losing seasons and yet they think that we could just play chicken with him and go draft another guy or bring someone else in or the best ones on here they think Cooper rush with the right team around him can be better than Prescott in the playoffs...

The only true upgrade from Prescott in my opinion would be Patrick mahomes everything else is debatable.. Because we're just talking about playoff success and Super Bowls and then you got to factor in age and where your players are at right now there's only one player that's truly better than Prescott which makes him truly better than the rest of the leagues quarterbacks... And then you look at other people's lists they think Josh Allen is better Lamar Jackson a few other players maybe a healthy Joe Burrows but where's all the proof none of them are winning Super Bowls there's only one player in the 95 players drafted since 2016 at quarterback that's 1A Super Bowl and that would be Patrick mahomes so if that's the measuring stick then there isn't even a quarterback available that we know for a fact in the draft or even in a trade that's going to be an upgrade so somebody's gotta stop throwing the word around upgrade because that what does that really mean??​

blueblood70

Reaction score
Id still take Jackson Powers Johnson if available... A day one starter and someone that should be with us for 10+ years.

Whomever the next QB is, they would benefit heavily from having a great center helping diagnose defenses at the line.
Apparently there's three centers in this draft that are worth taking probably in the first round we might get lucky and find one in the second round I mean the guy you mentioned his name's being thrown all around but the guy from West Virginia I believe I can't remember his name off hand and then there's another guy they were just talking about looking at the combine numbers he's supposed to be either a good guard or a center is supposed to be gone in the first round as well so you don't have to be locked on to one guy...

hers the list graded inn this draft. Frazier is equal to JPJ in manys options and Bartons a G who can play center and supposed to be the best athlete of all of them. So those three can all go in the first round but if any one of those three falls to the second round the Cowboys have to go get them but going desperate because JPJ is there what if the best linebacker in the draft is there or even sweat the defensive tackle nose tackle from Texas might be hard to pass up on those guys because they're bigger needs... That is what this post was about to remind you that Hoffman can probably play center this year at a very good level...

• Graham Barton, Duke.
  • Jackson Powers-Johnson, Oregon.
  • Zach Frazier, West Virginia.
  • Sedrick Van Pran, Georgia.
  • Tanor Bortolini, Wisconsin.

1942willys

Reaction score
He along with a group of fans in our fan base do believe that somehow it would be very easy to upgrade from Prescott which they think that you could just reach into the draft or go out and get anybody to be better than Prescott second team all pro second MVP boating ranked top three last year has no losing seasons and yet they think that we could just play chicken with him and go draft another guy or bring someone else in or the best ones on here they think Cooper rush with the right team around him can be better than Prescott in the playoffs...

The only true upgrade from Prescott in my opinion would be Patrick mahomes everything else is debatable.. Because we're just talking about playoff success and Super Bowls and then you got to factor in age and where your players are at right now there's only one player that's truly better than Prescott which makes him truly better than the rest of the leagues quarterbacks... And then you look at other people's lists they think Josh Allen is better Lamar Jackson a few other players maybe a healthy Joe Burrows but where's all the proof none of them are winning Super Bowls there's only one player in the 95 players drafted since 2016 at quarterback that's 1A Super Bowl and that would be Patrick mahomes so if that's the measuring stick then there isn't even a quarterback available that we know for a fact in the draft or even in a trade that's going to be an upgrade so somebody's gotta stop throwing the word around upgrade because that what does that really mean??​
I am so afraid of failure I will never try is the motto here