Video: Breaking down our offense

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
No need for a new thread when this article ties right into the all 22.

Dak Prescott’s failures are a symptom of an overall failing offense

Dak Prescott is failing but so is everything around him including teammates and coaches.
By Michael Sisemore@MrSisemore Sep 26, 2018, 1:45pm CDT

The Cowboys colossal failure in Seattle this past week didn’t help quarterback Dak Prescott. For the fifth game in a row, and ninth in his last eleven games, Prescott failed to reach 200 passing yards, a universally doable task for all NFL quarterbacks these days. The loss that dropped the team to 1-2 also did no favors for a coaching staff that has come under fire.

While both the quarterback and coaching have been critiqued and blamed, it’s only part of the problem. It’s peculiar that more people aren’t talking about how wildly inconsistent the rest of the offense has been in the past three weeks but now is a good time for a reminder.

Suspect Protection
There is no denying that Prescott has been at fault for a few of the hits he’s taken, he even admitted that much after the Seattle game. There was a popular stat being used to discredit theories about poor line play on Monday. It was determined that the Cowboys quarterback has the third-highest amount of time to throw at 2.99 seconds. Though that may be true, there was also a noticeable coincidence with that stat and another too:

Quarterback Throw Time (Rank) Sacks (Rank)
Josh Allen 3.30 (1) 11 (5-T)
Deshaun Watson 3.29 (2) 10 (7-T)
Dak Prescott 2.99 (3) 11 (5-T)
Tyrod Taylor 2.87 (8-T) 13 (3)
Aaron Rodgers 2.87 (8-T) 10 (7-T)

Five of the Top-10 quarterbacks with the most time to throw are also in the Top-10 of most sacked quarterbacks on the season. Of those five, Deshaun Watson and Tyrod Taylor are the only two with clear WR1’s in reputation and stats. No other quarterback even has a receiver in the Top-30. Last week’s opposing QB Russell Wilson, the most-sacked QB in the league, ranks 13th with 2.78 seconds to throw. Wilson’s tight ends had to chip DeMarcus Lawrence all game long to avoid another six-sack nightmare.

More at the link:
https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...s-are-a-symptom-of-an-overall-failing-offense

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I can't stand Linehan. My writing partner is a Lion's fan and he just snickers every time he remembers Linehan is our OC. I can't even argue with him.
Garrett can get lost in a corn maze and never make it out alive, for all I care. Go get eaten by a scarecrow, or something. Let the crows pick your bones.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I can't stand Linehan. My writing partner is a Lion's fan and he just snickers every time he remembers Linehan is our OC. I can't even argue with him.
Garrett can get lost in a corn maze and never make it out alive, for all I care. Go get eaten by a scarecrow, or something. Let the crows pick your bones.
Outside of Dallas right now the only people that hate Linehan more than Lions fans are Rams fans. They hate Linehan like they hate Jeff Fisher.

408Cowboy

Reaction score
I raised my doubts about Dak since the end of the 2016 season back in the old Boys forums....the wonder season some here still cling to with a passion anyway ...the verbal abuse and ridicule I received and also being booted by KSKBOYS( Moderator and huge Dak lover ) for asking one question.....Are we sure Dak is the "One".....Well listen Bud you wanna fire and blame Garrett and the rest of the coaches you keep at it......in the end its about talent and no Coach not even Lombardi or Landry can make Dak Prescott a good or quality QB......please enough here with you Dak lovers ....how the heck you call yourselves Cowboy fans supporting a STINKY QB who is hurting our team till this day amazes me........

P.S. Garrett should be fired as he's had enough years to produce a winner and failed.
While your at it and getting to the root of the Problem who's gonna fire Jerry....and the Jones clan...hence our dilemma....GL to you and to our Cowboys....
You trolled every thread with Dak hate in CAPS!!!!!

Just about like you do here.

Everybody is aware of Dak's shortcomings at this point or at least should be. Personally I would like to see what he could do with quality coaches that scheme to players strengths.

Now back to the topic you should watch the videos. There's way more wrong than Dak right now.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Agreed: #Facts

@PAPPYDOG : We know buddy. We know. Not even disagreeing with you, but are you like this with your family? Repeat yourself over and over? It's pretty funny, on the outside looking in.
I'm sure it's tortuous, on the inside looking out.

clff15701

Reaction score
Face it guys Romo used to check out of those plays and save the day. Romo would see that Seattle was blitzing and dump it off. Dak runs the play and we have everyone running vertical with a blitz on. On the handoff Romo would have changed the blocking or changed the play.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agreed: #Facts

@PAPPYDOG : We know buddy. We know. Not even disagreeing with you, but are you like this with your family? Repeat yourself over and over? It's pretty funny, on the outside looking in.
I'm sure it's tortuous, on the inside looking out.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
A few things I dont get about this offense

- We are built around the run, why so much shotgun?
- Play action from shotgun isn't nearly as effective as under center
- We run a TON of come back routes on the outside, where are the double moves and go routes?
- They see a lot of single safety high, where are the shots down the field as mentioned above
- Where are the designed roll outs to help protect a struggling offensive line?
- Why isn't Dak throwing to the WRs on the outside, they appear to be open quite a bit on those comeback routes on the videos I have
- How about using Austin on some crossing routes where he can use his speed and run after catch ability

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Yep, definitely need to switch Cowboy games to Comedy Central.
I have zero expectations this weekend. Just going to hangout as usual with a good friend and enjoy some good food. I don't expect a win.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Face it guys Romo used to check out of those plays and save the day. Romo would see that Seattle was blitzing and dump it off. Dak runs the play and we have everyone running vertical with a blitz on. On the handoff Romo would have changed the blocking or changed the play.

I think people have short memories.

A lot of these same issues came into play when Romo was here as well, he was just so good he was able to over come some of them.

Even with Romo, they struggled with blitzes, especially from Philly and they rarely if ever took deep shots down the sidelines.

WarDaddy

kidcrook
Reaction score

People tend to forget that Romo sat for 3 years before playing and then took another few years to grow into the great QB he was at retirement. He had more innate passing ability than Dak from the start but was also much less discriminate with his decision making. He threw a LOT of picks and made a ton of bad decisions early on. He made a ton a good plays, too. Game management was an issue. His situational stuff was horrible at times. Cost a lot of games but also won a lot.

I think Dak’s cautious approach and game manager approach will lead to a good amount of wins while he grows. He needs help LIKE ALL YOUNG QBs with play calling and identifying defenses. Linehan is doing him few favors right now with these BS play designs. People are laughing at the Cowboys right now.

Let’s hope we’re not 1-7 before Jerry makes necessary changes...