Breaking down the College Football Playoffs

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
What you are pointing out is why they aren't really the best team in the country and I agree.
I think they'll be better next year.
But this year was rather a rebuilding year.

The schedule wasn't tough. OSU is gonna be a 6-8th place Big 12 team.
Not sure any ACC team outside FSU will end the year ranked top 20.
We've seen them all struggle.
Louisville may well lose 5 games this year. It is a down year for them.

FSU getting wins and finding a way is nice but they are loaded with 5 star talent playing teams without that luxury.

Right now I'd pit 1 FSU vs #4 TCU in the CFB Playoff semi. And I'd suggest TCU is the favorite.

fortunately the field is the determing factor... we will see what happens.. they're not as good as last year... but again, on the field...

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
Oregon should be in the top 4. If they win out they should be in the playoffs.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Go Pirates.

ARRRGGGHHH

I'd just be thrilled if they end up in the top 20

ECU? My nephew was at FB @ ECU when Chris Johnson and Dwayne Harris were there. Although he followed Skip Holtz to South Florida when he went there.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Going to be a great week of games!!!
Got top 25 match uops ALL day long!
The BCS playoff picture will be far more clear next week.
Any team below that loses is likely done but any team in the teens that loses is surely done.

Noon: 12 Baylor versus 15 OU
2:30 9 ASU vs 10 Notre Dame
7:30 6 TCU vs 7 KSU
8:00 5 BAMA vs 16 LSU
8:00 8 MichSt vs 14 OSU
10:00 4 ORE 17 UTAH

Rogah

Reaction score
I cannot believe the idiots (I'm looking at you John Saunders) who thought that instituting a playoff would devalue the regular season. If we were still under the BCS, then there would be 1 game this weekend with potential national championship implications. Under the new system, we get 6. In the "old days", even a contest like #6 TCU versus #7 K-State would have nothing but conference implications.

Note: When I say "games with national championship implications" I am not including the lopsided contests that the top teams are facing. I suppose if MSU, FSU or Auburn lose that would have national championship implications, but I just don't see a chance in heck that happens.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I cannot believe the idiots (I'm looking at you John Saunders) who thought that instituting a playoff would devalue the regular season. If we were still under the BCS, then there would be 1 game this weekend with potential national championship implications. Under the new system, we get 6. In the "old days", even a contest like #6 TCU versus #7 K-State would have nothing but conference implications.

Note: When I say "games with national championship implications" I am not including the lopsided contests that the top teams are facing. I suppose if MSU, FSU or Auburn lose that would have national championship implications, but I just don't see a chance in heck that happens.

It is phenomenal. 8-16 teams will be even better.

The argument was always bad and tied to March Madness but that is a collegiate sport no one would watch without the tourney.

I can't get enough college football this year.

If there was no CFP I'd be bored to tears awaiting a NC between FSU and the SEC Champ exactly like last year. BOOORRRIIINNNGGGGGG!

Rogah

Reaction score
they probably will... SEC feast on their own.....
Well they sure as heck don't take any chances with tough out-of-conference games.

UT-Martin @ Mississippi State
Presbyterian @ Ole Miss
W. Carolina @ Alabama
Samford @ Auburn

Sure looks like a tough November for the non-conference SEC schedule... :rolleyes:

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
Well they sure as heck don't take any chances with tough out-of-conference games.

Presbyterian @ Ole Miss
W. Carolina @ Alabama
Samford @ Auburn

Sure looks like a tough November for the non-conference SEC schedule... :rolleyes:

agreed.

joseephuss

Reaction score
1. Mississippi St.6. TCU
2. Florida St.7. Kansas St.
3. Auburn8. Michigan St.
4. Oregon9. Arizona St.
5. Alabama10. Notre Dame

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score

Presbyterian @ Ole Miss
W. Carolina @ Alabama
Samford @ Auburn

Yup. In fairness to the Miss schools they usually win 2-3 conf games a year so they need to fatten up on terribads to be bowl eligible yearly.
But Bama/Auburn paying no names to show up and take a 50 point beating is simply embarrassing.
Major SEC teams seem to have 1 real out of conference game, a strong conf schedule but also littered with at least two fairly bad SEC teams and then complete drivel to finish it up.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
B1sUbhbCYAA7uva.png

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
point spreads on the big games.
--meant to denote favorites not promote any gambling....

Noon: 12 Baylor versus 15 OU (-5)
2:30 9 ASU (-1) vs 10 Notre Dame
7:30 6 TCU (-6) vs 7 KSU
8:00 5 BAMA (-6) vs 16 LSU
8:00 8 MichSt (-1.5) vs 14 OSU
10:00 4 ORE (-8) vs 17 UTAH

Should be lots of close games between big time teams.

I am surprised OU is favored by 5. I'd have thought that more a 2 point spread.
Likewise TCU and KST. Would have thought a 3 point spread for home team. Vegas is saying TCU is as good as Auburn.

DFWJC

Reaction score
ECU? My nephew was at FB @ ECU when Chris Johnson and Dwayne Harris were there. Although he followed Skip Holtz to South Florida when he went there.

Yeah.
They blew it badly in a driving rain storm last week at Temple--who is only 5-3 and had no quality wins before then (unless you want to call blowing out Vanderbilt by 30 as "quality"...I don't).

ECU does run it a lot but mostly they're a passing team. So the cold rainy day caused issues..especially since they lost 5 fumbles...lol.
They lost a game where they had 4x the yards of the other team. Just a perfect storm debacle.
So now they're out of the top 25 (were as high as 16th) and will not be going to one of the better bowls. They were in the drivers seat to be the lone "Non Power conference" school to get in the top 6 bowls.

Their schedule going forward won't allow them much upside.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Yeah.
They blew it badly in a driving rain storm last week at Temple--who is only 5-3 and had no quality wins before then (unless you want to call blowing out Vanderbilt by 30 as "quality"...I don't).

ECU does run it a lot but mostly they're a passing team. So the cold rainy day caused issues..especially since they lost 5 fumbles...lol.
They lost a game where they had 4x the yards of the other team. Just a perfect storm debacle.
So now they're out of the top 25 (were as high as 16th) and will not be going to one of the better bowls. They were in the drivers seat to be the lone "Non Power conference" school to get in the top 6 bowls.

Which is why my nephew left. They were a heavy running team when he was there. Skip left and they brought in Ruffin McNeill with a much more pass oriented offense. Since my nephew was mainly a run blocker, he followed Skip to South Florida.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Which is why my nephew left. They were a heavy running team when he was there. Skip left and they brought in Ruffin McNeill with a much more pass oriented offense. Since my nephew was mainly a run blocker, he followed Skip to South Florida.

True. I don't think they use the FB very much. You're nephew made the right call, probably.
Skip should not have left ECU for USF though.
The "greener pastures" was a short term thing. Now he's at La Tech.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
True. I don't think they use the FB very much. You're nephew made the right call, probably.
Skip should not have left ECU for USF though.
The "greener pastures" was a short term thing. Now he's at La Tech.

I said FB, but he was actually a TE, but played FB sometimes.

My Nephew already graduated. Believe it or not, he signed on with the stinking Commanders as an undrafted FA. He didn't end up making the team though.

Bill Wooten

Reaction score
Yeah.

ECU really did blow it last week. Definitely not prepared to play in that kind of weather. Never really got in a rhythm.

It is cool to see Lincoln Riley incorporating the TE into the Air Raid offense. Adds another mismatch. I guess the silver lining to the loss to Temple is that Riley's stock may have dropped some and we'll keep him for another year or so. Would be good to keep him as they break in a new QB next year.