Breaking down the College Football Playoffs

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
ECU really did blow it last week. Definitely not prepared to play in that kind of weather. Never really got in a rhythm.

It is cool to see Lincoln Riley incorporating the TE into the Air Raid offense. Adds another mismatch. I guess the silver lining to the loss to Temple is that Riley's stock may have dropped some and we'll keep him for another year or so. Would be good to keep him as they break in a new QB next year.

Riley is a good OC; great with QBs. He did good things while at Tech. Ruff was always beloved as a Red Raider and did help the defense step up a bit.

The TE thing started with Amaro. He was a serious weapon in a spread because the default defenses versus it is a nickel or dime.
DBs have no shot at stopping a big TE who can catch.

Pull for ECU when I can but watched more than I wanted of that mess last week.

I sincerely wish Ruff had gotten the job over Tuberville.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Riley is a good OC; great with QBs. He did good things while at Tech. Ruff was always beloved as a Red Raider and did help the defense step up a bit.

The TE thing started with Amaro. He was a serious weapon in a spread because the default defenses versus it is a nickel or dime.
DBs have no shot at stopping a big TE who can catch.

Pull for ECU when I can but watched more than I wanted of that mess last week.

I sincerely wish Ruff had gotten the job over Tuberville.

I work with a Tech fan who says the same.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I work with a Tech fan who says the same.

I think about 90% of the fan base/alumni feels this way.

Tuberville had the championship and SEC pedigree but that dude was a pure snake oil salesman.
He lobbied hardcore for the gig then hated Lubbock in every way.
What kind of coach leaves in the middle of a recruiting dinner never to return??

I do wish we had his main recruiter back. He was the only reason they won a thing while Pine Box was around.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Ruffin is just a really grounded man. Loves is players and they return the sentiment, but he's also pretty no-nonsense regarding going to class and following the rules.
It's a head-scratcher as to why their on the filed discipline has been poor the last few games. 120 yards in penalties last week? yikes.

Riley is the one that Pirate fans are worried about losing though. He's added a really nice slant to that offense with the run game and the deeper routes.
That place has a great game day atmosphere, btw.

Oh well, not wanting to highjack the thread.

Rogah

Reaction score
I think Alabama is the most overrated team in the nation. Prior to tonight, they have played 2 ranked teams. They lost 1 (Ole MIss) and the 1 they beat (WVA) won't be a ranked team anymore. They're going into halftime tied with LSU and I won't be surprised if they lose.

Auburn, however, has completely surprised me. I had them and Oregon as the 2 best in the nation. I can't believe their loss today.

joseephuss

Reaction score
LSU blew that game. First the stupid unsportsmanlike penalty. That took any real chance they had of scoring a TD instead of a FG away. It was just a dumb penalty right in front of the ref. Then they kick the ball out of bounds giving Bama great field position.

joseephuss

Reaction score
I think Alabama is the most overrated team in the nation. Prior to tonight, they have played 2 ranked teams. They lost 1 (Ole MIss) and the 1 they beat (WVA) won't be a ranked team anymore. They're going into halftime tied with LSU and I won't be surprised if they lose.

Auburn, however, has completely surprised me. I had them and Oregon as the 2 best in the nation. I can't believe their loss today.

Auburn has a very bad defense. It was bound to hurt them again this season.

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score

Roll Tide! Cannot ever cheer against my school but they aren't nearly as good as they have been. They miss McCarron & his leadership I think. I have said all year I will be shocked if in the end they are in the top 4.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
LSU blew that game. First the stupid unsportsmanlike penalty. That took any real chance they had of scoring a TD instead of a FG away. It was just a dumb penalty right in front of the ref. Then they kick the ball out of bounds giving Bama great field position.

Plus they dropped like 5 straight passes in the 4th Q and OT and I am not including tough missed catches just the bonehead wide open drops.

How anyone could watch that game and feel either team was truly 5 is beyond me.
Both teams were physically tough as nails but played scared and not to lose.
ST was average to bad for both sides and neither side had a QB who could complete an accurate pass beyond 15 yards.

Bama is a top 10 team but anyone with them int he top 4 is delusional.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The big game Sat started slowly with blow outs but did ramp up.

MY top 8 right now:

1. Miss St ---chances of them finishing here is almost nil.
2. FSU ---Winning ugly is better than losing any day.
3. TCU ---have had best days of nay 1 loss team and the 1 loss was a last second road defeat to a top 10 team.
4. Oregon ---Similar to TCU with more off quarters.
5. BAY ---Explosive (but not as consistent as TCU) offensively and have some key defenders to rely on in Hager and Oakman.
6. Bama ---Lucky to have 1 loss and outside toss up games no quality wins.
7. ASU ---Fly around and play hard. Probably short term in this spot.
8. OSU ---Mind-boggling loss to Va Tech makes likely B1G champ hard to take seriously.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
The big game Sat started slowly with blow outs but did ramp up.

MY top 8 right now:

1. Miss St ---chances of them finishing here is almost nil.
2. FSU ---Winning ugly is better than losing any day.
3. TCU ---have had best days of nay 1 loss team and the 1 loss was a last second road defeat to a top 10 team.
4. Oregon ---Similar to TCU with more off quarters.
5. BAY ---Explosive (but not as consistent as TCU) offensively and have some key defenders to rely on in Hager and Oakman.
6. Bama ---Lucky to have 1 loss and outside toss up games no quality wins.
7. ASU ---Fly around and play hard. Probably short term in this spot.
8. OSU ---Mind-boggling loss to Va Tech makes likely B1G champ hard to take seriously.

Who do you predict in the 4-team playoffs?

I think FSU is a shoe-in. They play nobody and will be the #1 overall seed.

I don't see anyone in the SEC finishing undefeated. Miss St plays Bama and Ole Miss, and Bama also plays Auburn. I don't see a 2-loss SEC making it unless they win the SEC. I don't follow the SEC enough to know who's in the East and West. Who would likely play in the title game?

The Big 12 will be interesting. TCU has looked great this year and I think might be the best team in the country. But they lost to Baylor who also has one loss. I know the Big 12 doesn't have a title game so it'll be interesting to see who comes out of there.

Oregon will likely win out up until the Pac 12 title game. Nobody else in the Pac 12 looks any good. Do you think Arizona State could make it if they win out and win the Pac 12?

Last, we're left with the Big Ten. I don't see anyone from there playing in the playoffs. Ohio State had a chance but had a bad loss. I don't see Nebraska making the playoffs even if they won out. Is there a Big Ten title game?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Who do you predict in the 4-team playoffs?

I think FSU is a shoe-in. They play nobody and will be the #1 overall seed.

I don't see anyone in the SEC finishing undefeated. Miss St plays Bama and Ole Miss, and Bama also plays Auburn. I don't see a 2-loss SEC making it unless they win the SEC. I don't follow the SEC enough to know who's in the East and West. Who would likely play in the title game?

The Big 12 will be interesting. TCU has looked great this year and I think might be the best team in the country. But they lost to Baylor who also has one loss. I know the Big 12 doesn't have a title game so it'll be interesting to see who comes out of there.

Oregon will likely win out up until the Pac 12 title game. Nobody else in the Pac 12 looks any good. Do you think Arizona State could make it if they win out and win the Pac 12?

Last, we're left with the Big Ten. I don't see anyone from there playing in the playoffs. Ohio State had a chance but had a bad loss. I don't see Nebraska making the playoffs even if they won out. Is there a Big Ten title game?

My Sun Devils are going to end up just short, but if we beat UofA, we're going to give Oregon a bit of a scare in that Pac 12 game. Should be fun if we get there. Fork 'em Devils.

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
My Sun Devils are going to end up just short, but if we beat UofA, we're going to give Oregon a bit of a scare in that Pac 12 game. Should be fun if we get there. Fork 'em Devils.

It aint a wrap for them yet! any given saturday!

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
I know. Ore St and Wash St left, too. You never know. But U of A is our biggest game left.

Im FSU all the way... but I'm on pins and needles.... any given Saturday.... devils can handle the cats and ducks....
lets see what happens......

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ducks can handle the Sun Devils! Go Ducks!

They should be able to, for sure, with the team they've bought up there. But it ought to be a fun game. Some of our good friends are a Ducks family, though, and the game is up here in Levi Stadium, so we might actually attend this year. Has the making of a fun game.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score

Do you think they would make the playoffs if they won out and won the Pac 12? I don't see why not. They would have earned it. But it seems like they only want to reward Oregon, Stanford or USC in the Pac 12.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Do you think they would make the playoffs if they won out and won the Pac 12? I don't see why not. They would have earned it. But it seems like they only want to reward Oregon, Stanford or USC in the Pac 12.

They've got a lot of ground to make up. But if they somehow manage to beat UofA and beat Oregon between now and then, I agree they'd have earned it at that point, for sure.