Breaking down the College Football Playoffs

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
The Pac12 is a very deep conference and a 1 loss champion gets in the playoffs regardless who it is.

Rogah

Reaction score
My fear is Alabama beats Miss. St. then they each win out and everyone's SEC bias puts them both in the playoffs with 1-loss. I really don't want the SEC to have 2 teams in the playoffs, that would be B.S. 1 power-5 conference is already guaranteed being left out in the cold is bad enough.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
My fear is Alabama beats Miss. St. then they each win out and everyone's SEC bias puts them both in the playoffs with 1-loss. I really don't want the SEC to have 2 teams in the playoffs, that would be B.S. 1 power-5 conference is already guaranteed being left out in the cold is bad enough.

I agree. That's why I want to see an 8 team playoffs.

1. The five Power 5 champions (bring back the Big 12 Championship

2. The top ranked non Power 5 team

3. Two wild cards (probably the remaining two top ranked teams)

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Who do you predict in the 4-team playoffs?

I think FSU is a shoe-in. They play nobody and will be the #1 overall seed.

I don't see anyone in the SEC finishing undefeated. Miss St plays Bama and Ole Miss, and Bama also plays Auburn. I don't see a 2-loss SEC making it unless they win the SEC. I don't follow the SEC enough to know who's in the East and West. Who would likely play in the title game?

The Big 12 will be interesting. TCU has looked great this year and I think might be the best team in the country. But they lost to Baylor who also has one loss. I know the Big 12 doesn't have a title game so it'll be interesting to see who comes out of there.

Oregon will likely win out up until the Pac 12 title game. Nobody else in the Pac 12 looks any good. Do you think Arizona State could make it if they win out and win the Pac 12?

Last, we're left with the Big Ten. I don't see anyone from there playing in the playoffs. Ohio State had a chance but had a bad loss. I don't see Nebraska making the playoffs even if they won out. Is there a Big Ten title game?

those types pf predictions are insanely hard to pull off.
still so much football left to be played.

I think if I had to be nailed down I'd go:

1. FSU --hard one here because 1 loss and I think they are out altogether.
2. Oregon
3. TCU
4. Miss St

This means FSU does win out to be the lone unbeaten p5.
Oregon also wins out and sits on one loss.
TCU same. Miss St loses to Bama but wins everything else and the SEC overall. Bama loses to Auburn, allowing Miss St the title.
Baylor and the B1G winner finish 5th and 6th. No idea who will win the B1G. Looks like OSU this week but it's still wide open.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The Pac12 is a very deep conference and a 1 loss champion gets in the playoffs regardless who it is.

I think this is correct but it could test just how much the committee does weigh conf championships.

The Big 12 could have co-champs with 1 loss. TCU and BAY and both would probably be ranked above any Pac 12 winner not named Oregon.

But the reality is any P5 team with 1 or fewer losses has a good chance to make the playoffs.
Only the ACC this year would likely miss with a 1 loss champ.

If TCU, Baylor, FSU, Miss St, Bama all finish with 1 or fewer losses then it will be really tough for a P12 winner like ASU or B1G winner like OSU.

But again the games will sort most of this out.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
FSU is not a shoe in at all,they have to beat Miami and Florida first.

Florida and Miami have both woken up from a dead slumber but neither is a top 20 challenge.
The rivalry factor is the biggest thing with either match up.

Should make for good football viewing!

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I agree. That's why I want to see an 8 team playoffs.

1. The five Power 5 champions (bring back the Big 12 Championship

2. The top ranked non Power 5 team

3. Two wild cards (probably the remaining two top ranked teams)

I'd like to see teams capped at 11 regular season games and then a 12 game tourney.
Really reward the top 4 seeds with a BYE and make seeding matter.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
I agree they should expand the number of teams in the playoffs. Their logic for not doing it flies in the face of reality when you factor in the other college sports that have much larger playoff system in place.

Boom

Just Dez It
Reaction score
B1sUbhbCYAA7uva.png

Miss State beat LSU #8, Texas A&M #6 and AUB #2 in a 3 week span.

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
I agree they should expand the number of teams in the playoffs. Their logic for not doing it flies in the face of reality when you factor in the other college sports that have much larger playoff system in place.
I think they will... this is just the beginning...
I wouldn't be surprised if we see 6 teams in the next 5 years or so (two with a buy), than it will expand from there..... they have to figure out the student/athlete part according to them (even though its winter break) Aka... they have to figure out the money!

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I think they will... this is just the beginning...
I wouldn't be surprised if we see 6 teams in the next 5 years or so (two with a buy), than it will expand from there..... they have to figure out the student/athlete part according to them (even though its winter break) Aka... they have to figure out the money!

Naw they have to figure out a way past really old men.

The Money has never been a question. There is more money than anyone could possibly spend to be had from an expanded playoff.
The CFBP games will pay out more than entire MAJOR conferences did not long ago.

FSU getting in makes more money than they did the previous 5 years of the ACC combined(before last year).

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
A couple of big shake ups tonight. Great to see the committee value playing tough teams.

joseephuss

Reaction score
1. Mississippi St.6. Arizona St.
2. Oregon7. Baylor
3. Florida St.8. Ohio St.
4. TCU9. Auburn
5. Alabama10. Ole Miss

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
school_logo_large.png
Mississippi State 9-0