Breaking Eagles down by quarter

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJM1613

Reaction score
blindzebra said:
They got a lot of picks early, and got toasted late, if your secondary is good you don't overpay for Winfield in free agency. Their D is the main reason they have not been a challenger since the year they choked against Atlanta.

I was at the game in Arizona last year, my brother is a Viking fan that came for a visit, we were in the endzone where McCowen shreaded that secondary and knocked them out of the playoffs.
With Vincent, Taylor, Dawkins, Thomas, Grasmanis, Burgess, Green, and McDougle all hurt, the defenses were a lot closer than you think. Also, I thought I should bring this up:

Randy Moss>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>James Thrash

blindzebra

Reaction score
AJM1613 said:
With Vincent, Taylor, Dawkins, Thomas, Grasmanis, Burgess, Green, and McDougle all hurt, the defenses were a lot closer than you think. Also, I thought I should bring this up:

Randy Moss>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>James Thrash

***, does Moss and Thrash have to do with the Vikings defense? :rolleyes:

Captain Hoagie

Reaction score
This is the dumbest set of quotes I have ever seen so let me try to elaborate...

The Eagles D is bad? So they only have the best safety tandem in the league (shut up Roy Williams is inferior to Dawkins and Woodson is inferior to Lewis so get over it) two young talented corners who played 9 games together and well.... went 9-0 and shut down some very good WR's. They also have the best pass rushing DT in Corey Simon and Jevon Kearse who is a perrenial pro-bowl LDE. Not to mention Darwin Walker. Also the injuries have been a problem due to the lack of depth and play making ability on the outside rush. They signed Dhani Jones who is one of the more athletic LB's in the division. Also Simoneau gained 11 lbs to shut down the run. Now you were saying? Oh yeah Eagles= 4th youngest team in the NFL.

If anyone has defensive problems it's the cowboys. Undersize, and lack of playmaking ability.

AJM1613

Reaction score
Captain Hoagie said:
The Eagles D is bad? So they only have the best safety tandem in the league (shut up Roy Williams is inferior to Dawkins and Woodson is inferior to Lewis so get over it) two young talented corners who played 9 games together and well.... went 9-0 and shut down some very good WR's. They also have the best pass rushing DT in Corey Simon and Jevon Kearse who is a perrenial pro-bowl LDE. Not to mention Darwin Walker. Also the injuries have been a problem due to the lack of depth and play making ability on the outside rush. They signed Dhani Jones who is one of the more athletic LB's in the division. Also Simoneau gained 11 lbs to shut down the run. Now you were saying? Oh yeah Eagles= 4th youngest team in the NFL.

If anyone has defensive problems it's the cowboys. Undersize, and lack of playmaking ability.
This Nors guy is a homer, can't you tell. True, we do have some question marks (#2 Cornerback, Nate Wayne), but so does every team. The Cowboy's have Pete Hunter and who ever they plan on playing defensive tackle.

We wern't 9-0, we were 2-0 with them starting together.

Don't forget it is only June 1st, and there may be an addition to this defense soon (McKenzie, Gilden, Trotter ect...).

It is great how we are the 4th youngest team in the league and so good. It is remarkable that Reid can do this. If he can get another Super Bowl ring then who knows...

Bizwah

Reaction score
AJM1613 said:
This Nors guy is a homer, can't you tell. True, we do have some question marks (#2 Cornerback, Nate Wayne), but so does every team. The Cowboy's have Pete Hunter and who ever they plan on playing defensive tackle.

We wern't 9-0, we were 2-0 with them starting together.

Don't forget it is only June 1st, and there may be an addition to this defense soon (McKenzie, Gilden, Trotter ect...).

It is great how we are the 4th youngest team in the league and so good. It is remarkable that Reid can do this. If he can get another Super Bowl ring then who knows...

Pete Hunter is our only question mark on defense.

DT isn't a question mark.......we have every player back from last year's squad that was NUMBER ONE in the NFL. Glover the Pro-Bowler returns. Blade played well, Carson is coming back from injury, and we have Brooks backing them up. He looked good towards the end of the year.

BTW, I love Captain Hoagie's debating style......."Dawkins and Lewis are better than Roy and Woodson, so get over it!"

That's like saying, "we're the best because I said so!"

I hope he's got more on the ball than that.

AJM1613

Reaction score
Bizwah said:

DT isn't a question mark.......we have every player back from last year's squad that was NUMBER ONE in the NFL. Glover the Pro-Bowler returns. Blade played well, Carson is coming back from injury, and we have Brooks backing them up. He looked good towards the end of the year.

BTW, I love Captain Hoagie's debating style......."Dawkins and Lewis are better than Roy and Woodson, so get over it!"

Of course I wasn't talking about Glover. I could say the same thing about Wayne as you did about Blade, he was on the team the year before.

No it's like saying:
Dawkins and Lewis are the best. Get over it!

They are the best because Woodson said so... ;)

Bizwah

Reaction score
AJM1613 said:
Of course I wasn't talking about Glover. I could say the same thing about Wayne as you did about Blade, he was on the team the year before.

No it's like saying:
Dawkins and Lewis are the best. Get over it!

They are the best because Woodson said so... ;)

My point is that Blade played well, and that we return all of the DTs of the number one defense in the league. This isn't a question mark....it can be improved as can all our positions. But DT is covered.

His conditioning was that of a rookie. If he improves his conditioning, then he should be a force. That is the only question mark at DT, not if he can play.

Hunter is the only question mark, but he's a huge question mark. We don't know how good he'll play.

I like your safety tandem. At this point, they may be better than ours. I think Roy is right up there with Dawkins. I think Dawkins is a good player...maybe the best safety in the NFL, but Roy is hot on his heels. This may be the year that Roy passes him. Woody and Lewis are close too. But the pattern shows that Woody will take another step back and Lewis will take another forward, pushing Lewis past Woody.

Right now, I'd say that your safeties are better playmakers, but ours are definitely more intimidating. I wouldn't trade our pair for yours, but I'm sure you wouldn't trade your pair for ours.

AJM1613

Reaction score
Bizwah said:
My point is that Blade played well, and that we return all of the DTs of the number one defense in the league. This isn't a question mark....it can be improved as can all our positions. But DT is covered.

His conditioning was that of a rookie. If he improves his conditioning, then he should be a force. That is the only question mark at DT, not if he can play.
Why didn't he play his first two seasons? And why does he only have 16 tackles last year? Was he your starter last year? I never heard of him until this offseason, so I don't know much about him.

I like your safety tandem. At this point, they may be better than ours. I think Roy is right up there with Dawkins. I think Dawkins is a good player...maybe the best safety in the NFL, but Roy is hot on his heels. This may be the year that Roy passes him. Woody and Lewis are close too. But the pattern shows that Woody will take another step back and Lewis will take another forward, pushing Lewis past Woody.

Right now, I'd say that your safeties are better playmakers, but ours are definitely more intimidating. I wouldn't trade our pair for yours, but I'm sure you wouldn't trade your pair for ours.
Thats fair, but I don't see Williams passing Dawkins until his play starts declining. Remember that Dawkins is only 30 (I know it isn't young, but he is still in his prime) and I think that we can expect another 3-5 years of great football (his contract is up at the end of the 2006 season).

I do think that Williams has room for improvement. I think that if he works on his tackling then that will greatly improve his game.

Captain Hoagie

Reaction score
I love how you discuss my debating style in the trash talk forum..... it's trash talk not debating. I would probably be more corgel to the other side had it been in the discussion page.

AJM1613

Reaction score
Captain Hoagie said:
I love how you discuss my debating style in the trash talk forum..... it's trash talk not debating. I would probably be more corgel to the other side had it been in the discussion page.
Who are you talking to? The Mods???

Captain Hoagie

Reaction score
AJM1613 said:
Who are you talking to? The Mods???

No the person who said

Originally Posted by Bizwah said:

[/QOUTE]

Bizwah

Reaction score
AJM1613 said:
Why didn't he play his first two seasons? And why does he only have 16 tackles last year? Was he your starter last year? I never heard of him until this offseason, so I don't know much about him.

He wasn't committed. He got hurt in the first minicamp his rookie year and missed the whole season. In his second season he had very poor conditioning (over 340), and was cut. He was immediately picked up by the Texans, who kept him on all year but cut him.

We picked him up.......he became Parcells pet project. He got his weight down to about 315.....

Listen......DT isn't a question mark mainly due to the fact that this is the same group as last year. This is all I'm trying to say. They were obviously good enough of a group last year.

Thats fair, but I don't see Williams passing Dawkins until his play starts declining. Remember that Dawkins is only 30 (I know it isn't young, but he is still in his prime) and I think that we can expect another 3-5 years of great football (his contract is up at the end of the 2006 season).

I do think that Williams has room for improvement. I think that if he works on his tackling then that will greatly improve his game.

Fair enough.......that's your opinion.

I disagree.....I think he'll soon pass Dawkins. Dawkins is a good safety, one of the best, but I think he's at his peak. Williams made the Pro-Bowl in his second year. I think it's only a matter of time, possibly this year.

Bizwah

Reaction score
Captain Hoagie said:

Exactly chum........

It's a trash-talk forum......that's what I was doing.

Gotta hand it to these Eagle fans......they sure are a quick bunch.

Captain Hoagie

Reaction score
Bizwah said:
Exactly chum........

It's a trash-talk forum......that's what I was doing.

Gotta hand it to these Eagle fans......they sure are a quick bunch.

Do you root for teams that don't win all the time? Or are you a yankees, cowboys, and lakers "fan"? As you well know the cowboys baught their 5 rings. And Cowboy fans are the dumbest fans in the league.

AJM1613

Reaction score
Bizwah said:
He wasn't committed. He got hurt in the first minicamp his rookie year and missed the whole season. In his second season he had very poor conditioning (over 340), and was cut. He was immediately picked up by the Texans, who kept him on all year but cut him.

We picked him up.......he became Parcells pet project. He got his weight down to about 315.....

Listen......DT isn't a question mark mainly due to the fact that this is the same group as last year. This is all I'm trying to say. They were obviously good enough of a group last year.
To have a journeyman player like this to fill in your defensive tackle spot has to be considered a question mark. I think that you will agree with me that your defense wasn't the best in the league, and it did have holes, the same holes that you have this year.

I think another question mark that you have is Wiley. He was good a few years ago but there is no telling how he will come along, and I don't think it is an injury problem.
Fair enough.......that's your opinion.

I disagree.....I think he'll soon pass Dawkins. Dawkins is a good safety, one of the best, but I think he's at his peak. Williams made the Pro-Bowl in his second year. I think it's only a matter of time, possibly this year.
Williams is a good player, but personally I don't see him as a complete safety yet. He isn't fast for a safety and he misses arm tackles, Dawkins is fast and never misses tackles. He needs to improve these two areas of his game to be considered the best and I don't think he can.

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
AJM1613 said:
To have a journeyman player like this to fill in your defensive tackle spot has to be considered a question mark. I think that you will agree with me that your defense wasn't the best in the league, and it did have holes, the same holes that you have this year.

I think another question mark that you have is Wiley. He was good a few years ago but there is no telling how he will come along, and I don't think it is an injury problem.

Williams is a good player, but personally I don't see him as a complete safety yet. He isn't fast for a safety and he misses arm tackles, Dawkins is fast and never misses tackles. He needs to improve these two areas of his game to be considered the best and I don't think he can.

I want to weigh in on this because I find myself having to agree with an Eagles fan here and it may not happen again. At this point I think Dawkins is better and better by a good bit because of Roy's situation. He is playing out of position. Roy is a natural SS and he is playing FS due to Woodson. Also, with another year with Zimmer and the coaching of Parcells I think the areas where he is week will improve. A player normally hits their NFL peak in about their 3rd or 4th year and Roy is coming into that now. I do feel he will by pass Dawkins at some point providing he can get moved to his natural position of SS within a year or 2.

Captain Hoagie

Reaction score
cajuncowboy said:
I want to weigh in on this because I find myself having to agree with an Eagles fan here and it may not happen again. At this point I think Dawkins is better and better by a good bit because of Roy's situation. He is playing out of position. Roy is a natural SS and he is playing FS due to Woodson. Also, with another year with Zimmer and the coaching of Parcells I think the areas where he is week will improve. A player normally hits their NFL peak in about their 3rd or 4th year and Roy is coming into that now. I do feel he will by pass Dawkins at some point providing he can get moved to his natural position of SS within a year or 2.

Roy has a lot of talent. I think he should stay at FS and even though he is a natural SS he could use his talent more to a SS. I don't know if he'll pass Dawkins. But he is certainly the right candidate.

Bizwah

Reaction score
Captain Hoagie said:
Do you root for teams that don't win all the time? Or are you a yankees, cowboys, and lakers "fan"? As you well know the cowboys baught their 5 rings. And Cowboy fans are the dumbest fans in the league.

What about you?

How far back does your fanship go?

As for me.........I attended my first Cowboy game in 1982 versus the Buffalo Bills on a Monday night. I was eight years old. Since that moment I've been a Cowboy fan.

I was in the Danny White Camp in the White/Hogeboom QB controversy. I was sickened the day we traded for Herschel Walker because Tony Dorsett was my favorite player.

I've rooted for them when Steve Pelluer was the QB. That alone should convince anybody of being a "real" fan.

I remember seeing the "Yo Babe" and "Up Against the Walls" signs in the endzones. I remember us drafting Michael Irvin, Troy Aikman, and Emmitt Smith.

Plus......I've been a regular poster for about five years on Cowboy boards (since I first connected to the internet). Yes, I guess I'm a "Bandwagon" fan since I rooted for a team that finished 5-11 for three straight years.

I don't follow any other sports teams. So no, I don't like the Yankees (my wife is a Cardinal fan though), and I don't like the Lakers (the NBA is a joke).

Nice try....but you'll have to do better than name-calling if you want to "trash talk".

Although, most Philly fans sure know "trash" when they see it. All they have to do is look around the Linc.

Bizwah

Reaction score
AJM1613 said:

No........I don't.....as a matter of fact, if you go to the main board, I'll have a post ready on our defense.

DT wasn't a hole last year. Blade was a starting DT on the number one defense in the NFL.....so how is he a "hole"?

You have a point here.....but his production last year was DOUBLE what we got from Ekuban (as far as sacks are concerned). So actually, he's an upgrade.

Still a question mark, although he's an improvement over what we had.

Williams is a good player, but personally I don't see him as a complete safety yet.

I agree here.........but he's going to get better.....scary.

He isn't fast for a safety and he misses arm tackles, Dawkins is fast and never misses tackles.

I don't know what Roy Williams you've been watching. Misses arm tackles? I have every Cowboy game on tape for the last two years.....I can say the number of tackles he's missed can be counted on one hand.

Let me tell you a story. Two years ago, we're playing the Rams at St. Louis. Marshall Faulk is thrown a middle screen on a play where Roy happens to be blitzing.....Roy has overrun the play and is BEHIND Faulk. Anyway, Faulk starts running forward, but Roy grabs out with ONE hand, and grabs Faulk by the back of his collar.

I remember thinking....."Faulk should easily break that"....but Roy, stops Faulk DEAD in his tracks, and flips him to the ground.......again, WITH ONE HAND.

Now, you may be basing your view of Roy off one or two games.....but as I said, I have every NFL game Roy has ever played on tape, and can count the number of tackles (tackles period) on one hand.

And forgive me.......but Dawkins has never missed a tackle?

He needs to improve these two areas of his game to be considered the best and I don't think he can.

What, can players not improve?

Not fast?

He ran a 4.53 at the combine.....in one try...with no sprint training. Sean Taylor ran the same time in Miami. He's supposed to be a fast safety.

Status
Not open for further replies.