Breaking Eagles down by quarter

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJM1613

Reaction score
Truthfully I think McNabb is the third best QB in the league. Stats and championships don't show it but I think that he will win the championship within the next 2 years and put up great numbers.

McNabb is only 27 remember, and hasn't reached his full potential, but I can definitly see why you rank him the way you do. Hopefully that will change.

AJM1613

Reaction score
I can see why you would rank Brady up there ahead of McNabb so I will give you that. I can see why you would rank Favre ahead of McNabb, so I will give you that. Still that leaves McNabb as the 5th best QB. Who else do you think is better?

blindzebra

Reaction score
AJM1613 said:
I can see why you would rank Brady up there ahead of McNabb so I will give you that. I can see why you would rank Favre ahead of McNabb, so I will give you that. Still that leaves McNabb as the 5th best QB. Who else do you think is better?

1. Culpepper

2. Manning

3. Brady

4. McNair

5. Hasselbeck

6. Green

7. Favre

8. McNabb

9. Johnson

10. Pennington

Leftwich and Vick may bump him down the list, I'm interested in what Harrington is going to do this year with Rodgers, Williams and Jones.

AJM1613

Reaction score
blindzebra said:
1. Culpepper

2. Manning

3. Brady

4. McNair

5. Hasselbeck

6. Green

7. Favre

8. McNabb

9. Johnson

10. Pennington

Leftwich and Vick may bump him down the list, I'm interested in what Harrington is going to do this year with Rodgers, Williams and Jones.
Harrington? Harrington had the worst quarterback stats in the NFL last year and you are saying he might bump McNabb down, but McNabb has a proven offense? I can't see how you can put Culpepper infront of Manning and McNair, Moss accounted for 46% of his offense last year! Moss is great and made Culpepper great. I also don't see how you can put Green in front of Favre, Green is in one of the greatest offensive systems ever.

blindzebra

Reaction score
AJM1613 said:
Harrington? Harrington had the worst quarterback stats in the NFL last year and you are saying he might bump McNabb down, but McNabb has a proven offense? I can't see how you can put Culpepper infront of Manning and McNair, Moss accounted for 46% of his offense last year! Moss is great and made Culpepper great. I also don't see how you can put Green in front of Favre, Green is in one of the greatest offensive systems ever.

I said, I'm interested in what Harrington can do, read it again.

How did Moss account for 46% of their offense without someone throwing him the ball?

Culpepper has Manning-like passing stats and better running stats than McNabb, he is the QB that you hope McNabb becomes.

AJM1613

Reaction score
blindzebra said:
I said, I'm interested in what Harrington can do, read it again.

How did Moss account for 46% of their offense without someone throwing him the ball?

Culpepper has Manning-like passing stats and better running stats than McNabb, he is the QB that you hope McNabb becomes.
Owens is no where near the reciever that Moss is. Believe me, I like Culpepper a lot, I have been routing for the Vikings ever since Cunningham was there. I watch their games a lot. McNabb is a lot better runner than Culpepper and doesn't throw nearly as many interceptions.

I'm not badmouthing Culpepper, I really like him, but he isn't the best QB in the league, Manning and McNair are both better.

blindzebra

Reaction score
AJM1613 said:
Owens is no where near the reciever that Moss is. Believe me, I like Culpepper a lot, I have been routing for the Vikings ever since Cunningham was there. I watch their games a lot. McNabb is a lot better runner than Culpepper and doesn't throw nearly as many interceptions.

I'm not badmouthing Culpepper, I really like him, but he isn't the best QB in the league, Manning and McNair are both better.

The only knock you can have on Culpepper is turnovers, but that does not change the fact that he is the best passing/running QB in the league, until Vick shows he can pass, anyway.

AJM, you are making homer statements again, Culpepper has more yards and TDs rushing than McNabb, don't make me get stat happy on you. :D

AJM1613

Reaction score
blindzebra said:
The only knock you can have on Culpepper is turnovers, but that does not change the fact that he is the best passing/running QB in the league, until Vick shows he can pass, anyway.

AJM, you are making homer statements again, Culpepper has more yards and TDs rushing than McNabb, don't make me get stat happy on you. :D
I'm not talking about McNabb, I am talking about McNair, Manning against Culpepper.

blindzebra

Reaction score
AJM1613 said:
I'm not talking about McNabb, I am talking about McNair, Manning against Culpepper.

Back up a post you said, "McNabb is a better runner than Culpepper."

The top four are all close. Culpepper is the best all around, Manning the best passer, McNair is the toughest, and Brady has something they don't Championships.

Those are the only QBs I see as elite, the next 5-6 are either former elite guys like Favre or up and coming guys like Hasselbeck and Vick.

AJM1613

Reaction score
blindzebra said:

The top four are all close. Culpepper is the best all around, Manning the best passer, McNair is the toughest, and Brady has something they don't Championships.

Those are the only QBs I see as elite, the next 5-6 are either former elite guys like Favre or up and coming guys like Hasselbeck and Vick.
Hasselbeck is up and coming? They guy is 28.

Let me ask you a question. How does the best quarterback in the NFL get benched for Todd Bouman? Over those games Bouman had a quarterback rating of 98.3. Is Todd Bouman the best quarterback in the NFL???

AJM1613

Reaction score
blindzebra said:

McNabb has a higher ypa. :D

blindzebra

Reaction score
AJM1613 said:
Hasselbeck is up and coming? They guy is 28.

Let me ask you a question. How does the best quarterback in the NFL get benched for Todd Bouman? Over those games Bouman had a quarterback rating of 98.3. Is Todd Bouman the best quarterback in the NFL???

He did not get benched he broke bones in his back.

Of course that's nothing like Feely going 5-1 when McNabb went down. ;)

Hasselbeck has 3 years in as a starter, so yes he is up and coming.

kmd24

Reaction score
AJM1613 said:
I was comparing McNabb to the best, that is why I compared the stats. All I was saying that I would rather have a guy who throws 9 interceptions and 57% a season than a guy who throws 18 and 63% completion rate.

No, you were trying to justify McNabb's low completion percentage by suggesting that he throws the ball away more than Manning. You tried to suggest that Manning's high completion percentage is related to his higher interception total.

I also checked your stats and realized that you were getting McNabb's 10 interceptions by dividing his total interceptions (49) by his number of years in the league. If you want to accurately compare their interceptions, you should adjust for their number of games started. Manning has started all 96 games of his six-year career. McNabb has started 64, so his interception total is equivalent to 12 per year.

Or, on the basis of attempts, McNabb has a 2.3% interception percentage, while Manning has a 3.2% interception for his career. Note that Manning's interception percentage is heavily weighted by his rookie season, in which he threw 28 interceptions. By comparison, he threw only 10 last year.

Basically, McNabb, despite running the ball more than most quarterbacks, taking more sacks than most quarterbacks, and throwing more passes to running backs, has a mediocre completion percentage. The stats bear out what most are able to conclude by visual inspection: McNabb is a relatively inaccurate passer. It has nothing to do with throwing the ball away.

BTW, I would rather have the QB with the career 88 passer rating than the one with the career 79 passer rating.

Also, Westbrook lines up at WR some times, you have to factor that in too.

Can you provide any data on how many passes Westbrook caught from the wide receiver position? Even an estimate on the percentage of passes he caught from WR? I'd think 25% would be a generous estimate.

If he caught 25% of his passes from the WR position, then about 33% of Philly's completions went to backs. Still much higher than Indy's 20%.

Your obvious attempts to skew stats to the favor of McNabb undermine any credibility you have. Just accept the fact that McNabb is a mediocre passer, and you'll have a much happier existence on these boards.

IMO, McNabb brings a lot more to the position than his passing ability, which is what makes him *the* playmaker on the Eagles offense. Just don't sell us a line of BS about what a great passer he is.

AJM1613

Reaction score
Chad Lewis
James Thrash
Charles Johnson
Todd Pinkston
Jeff Thomason
Duce Staley
Torrence Small
Luther Broughton
Antonio Freeman
Cecil Martin
Darnell Autrey
Mike Bartrum
Na Brown
Dameane Douglas
Dorsey Levens
Brian Mitchell
Brian Westbrook
Freddie Mitchell
*sigh*

AJM1613

Reaction score
blindzebra said:
He did not get benched he broke bones in his back.

Of course that's nothing like Feely going 5-1 when McNabb went down. ;)

Hasselbeck has 3 years in as a starter, so yes he is up and coming.
AJ Feeley threw 55.8 percent, 6 TDs and 5 Int in 5 games. QB rating: 75.4

Not quite the 98.3 you were hoping for.

Feeley was worth a second rounder, Bouman is a journeyman and a career backup. :rolleyes:

blindzebra

Reaction score
AJM1613 said:
AJ Feeley threw 55.8 percent, 6 TDs and 5 Int in 5 games. QB rating: 75.4

Not quite the 98.3 you were hoping for.

Feeley was worth a second rounder, Bouman is a journeyman and a career backup. :rolleyes:

Feely went 5-1

Bouman lost 4 of the 5 games he played in getting that 98 QB rating. ;)

AJM1613

Reaction score
blindzebra said:
Feely went 5-1

Bouman lost 4 of the 5 games he played in getting that 98 QB rating. ;)
Culpepper's winning percentage isn't actually as good as McNabb's...not really close.

blindzebra

Reaction score
AJM1613 said:
Culpepper's winning percentage isn't actually as good as McNabb's...not really close.

DEFENSE, McNabb has always had a good defense, while the Vikings D has sucked.

McNabb faces the same problem Carter faces, although Donovan is clearly better, both teams have been carried by the defense.

AJM1613

Reaction score
blindzebra said:
DEFENSE, McNabb has always had a good defense, while the Vikings D has sucked.

McNabb faces the same problem Carter faces, although Donovan is clearly better, both teams have been carried by the defense.
I seriously think that McNabb caried us last year, not the defense. In 2002 when McNabb went down the defense was still great, and clearly carried Feeley. I am still amazed we got a 2nd for him.

The Vikings defense was good last year, one of the best (healthy) secondaries in the league (I think they were ranked 2nd).

blindzebra

Reaction score
AJM1613 said:
I seriously think that McNabb caried us last year, not the defense. In 2002 when McNabb went down the defense was still great, and clearly carried Feeley. I am still amazed we got a 2nd for him.

The Vikings defense was good last year, one of the best (healthy) secondaries in the league (I think they were ranked 2nd).

They got a lot of picks early, and got toasted late, if your secondary is good you don't overpay for Winfield in free agency. Their D is the main reason they have not been a challenger since the year they choked against Atlanta.

I was at the game in Arizona last year, my brother is a Viking fan that came for a visit, we were in the endzone where McCowen shreaded that secondary and knocked them out of the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.