Breaking Eagles down by quarter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smashmouth24

Reaction score
The Eagles defense may be on the decline, but that has nothing to do with the Cowboys simply having a better defense. Classic straw man.

Nors said:
And they were bounced in playoffs yet again - Run right over how ever you want to rationalize that.

I'm not trying to rationalize their defeat. Rather I'm trying to get you to admit that 'stopping the run', something the Eagles have never done well (or been even above average) under Jim Johnson, had nothing to do with how good the Eagles defense has been in the past four seasons. I did point out, however, that in the playoffs the Eagles defense did exactly what they've been doing game in and out for four years, that is limiting points.

So will you continue to put forth the notion that somehow giving up yards to a RB is more important than preventing an entire offense from scoring points?

Smashmouth24

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
That statement sir is conjecture. Nothing more... nothing less. Let's see it in reality.
No its pretty much exactly what the Eagles have at cornerback. You probably think that if what I said is true then the Eagles must be better off, and that must offend you in some way. I believe quite the opposite. Given the focus of their defense to be smart and aggressive in the redzone and not so much everywhere else, the Eagles have likely suffered a net loss at the position. While Lito Sheppard and Sheldon Brown are more capable of physically matching up to the receivers the Eagles will face, they won't be anywhere near as savvy and consistent in the short field as Vincent and Taylor were. They may never be. For the philosophy that the Eagles defense has had for four seasons these two young corners are probably not a good fit right now. They're either going to have to alter their approach, or suffer on the scoreboard.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
For the philosophy that the Eagles defense has had for four seasons these two young corners are probably not a good fit right now. They're either going to have to alter their approach, or suffer on the scoreboard.

And after they alter their approach they will be a bottom of the pack defense.

Smashmouth24

Reaction score
Nors said:
For the philosophy that the Eagles defense has had for four seasons these two young corners are probably not a good fit right now. They're either going to have to alter their approach, or suffer on the scoreboard.

And after they alter their approach they will be a bottom of the pack defense.

Given the lack of knowledge you've demonstrated regarding how the Eagles` defense was ever good in the first place, somehow your prediction isn't carrying the level of profoundness that you might believe it is.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Smashmouth24 said:
Given the lack of knowledge you've demonstrated regarding how the Eagles` defense was ever good in the first place, somehow your prediction isn't carrying the level of profoundness that you might believe it is.

I never said the Eagles defense was not good. In fact 2000-2002 it was Great. I only noted that your Defense was in decline last year, it was. And that that trend will clearly continue this year without the corners and no quality or depth at LB. I PREDICT EAGLES FANS THROWING BATTERIES AT JIM JOHNSON BY 2005! :p

Smashmouth24

Reaction score
Nors said:
I never said the Eagles defense was not good. In fact 2000-2002 it was Great. I only noted that your Defense was in decline last year, it was. And that that trend will clearly continue this year without the corners and no quality or depth at LB. I PREDICT EAGLES FANS THROWING BATTERIES AT JIM JOHNSON BY 2005! :p

To clarify yet another post for you, I said that you didn't understand why it became good in the first place. You don't understand why it was good in 2000, 2001, 2002, or even 2003. You've demonstrated a complete lack of knowledge of the Eagles defense in general. You're successive posts hammering away at the importance of run defense only reinforces the fact that you know so little in this matter. This is to be expected, as for the most part you are not interested in how the Eagles play defense. You've probably derived your opinions from well-known journalists or fellow CowboysZone members, and that's OK. Just don't pretend to truly understand something that you've never watched with the sole purpose of realizing how it all works.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
Field Dressing

1. Field dress the bird immediately. Remove the entrails and avoid breaking the gall bladder sac on the liver--bile destroys meat flavor. The shape of the bird's bill tells you about his diet--broad and flat billed ducks are plant eaters; pointed and serrated bills indicate fish eaters.
  2. Wipe the body cavity with a dry cloth, paper towel or dry grass. Moisture spreads bacteria which causes spoilage.
  3. Cool the bird by allowing air to circulate in the body cavity. Hold the cavity open with a small stick to speed cooling. When the weather isn't cold, bring a cooler in the car to transport birds.
  4. When you get home, finish dressing the birds. A fully dressed bird can be more safely aged by refrigerating at 35ºF for four hours to tenderize and develop flavor. Many experts recommend that birds be plucked rather than skinned, since the skin helps retain flavor and moisture during cooking. However, many hunters do skin birds because it is easier than plucking. Use bacon strips to add moisture during cooking. Dry pluck. If you don't remove all pin feathers and down, use a paraffin treatment. For four ducks or pheasants, place two cakes of paraffin in 4 quarts of water, bring to a boil and dip birds in, one at a time. Cool the bird to harden the paraffin and scrape off wax, down and pin fathers with a small, dull knife

BillsFan

Bledsoe for MVP
Reaction score
Well maybe Smashmouth has made a few good points.

I thought it was foolish statement to say that Jimmy Johnson's defense is not geared to stop the run BUT numbers don't lie. If you look from week 10 on the Eagles were getting pounded on the ground every week but they still do not give up that many points. Even in the championship game they only gave up 14 points, it's the offense that let them down. They scored only a field goal.

Packers 14 Points scored
Giants 10
Saints 20
Panth 16
Dallas 10
Miami 27
49ers 31
Skins 7
Packers 17
Panther 14

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
BillsFan said:
Well maybe Smashmouth has made a few good points.

I thought it was foolish statement to say that Jimmy Johnson's defense is not geared to stop the run BUT numbers don't lie. If you look from week 10 on the Eagles were getting pounded on the ground every week but they still do not give up that many points. Even in the championship game they only gave up 14 points, it's the offense that let them down. They scored only a field goal.

Packers 14 Points scored
Giants 10
Saints 20
Panth 16
Dallas 10
Miami 27
49ers 31
Skins 7
Packers 17
Panther 14

tHE pANTHERS JAMMED IT RIGHT DOWN THEIR THROATS. sO DID THE pACKERS! sorry bout caps

What was TOP in campionship loss. Yes the offense was MIA too

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Carolina by a tad won TOP

Tale of that win,

Carolina only attempted 14 passes, Eaglets threw 4 picks.
Carolina controlled game with running attack.

14-9-0 36-17-4

BillsFan

Bledsoe for MVP
Reaction score
The point is Nors they still only gave up 14 points. If McNabb and his receivers played well, the game would have been much closer.

It does say something for the Eagles defense that they gave up 170 yards rushing and STILL only managed to give up 14 points in that game.

AJM1613

Reaction score
TheSkaven said:
Look, I'm a Cowboys fan but I'd also like to think that I am a fan of the league and know the players. I live outside of Philadelphia so I've seen quite a bit of Dawkins. He's a great safety. The guy gets migraine headaches everytime he lays a hit on someone and he plays anyway, you have to respect someone like that.

But he's not better than Roy Williams, and after reading your response I think it's relatively clear that you haven't watched the Cowboys play all that much.

You're right, stats don't matter so let's put those aside. Roy is the better playmaker, and if we broke down plays made over the past several years, Roy Williams would clearly be better. Dawkins is a big hitter but he doesn't make plays like Roy does. Sorry AJM it's just true.

Over the past two years, Roy Williams' bone crushing hits have changed games. He knocked Amani Toomer out of the game last year, and he layed a hit on Emmitt Smith that put him out for 6 weeks. He took out Kurt Warner last year. The body count goes on and on..

Dawkins hasn't done that. Dawkins is a big hitter and an excellent safety. But he's not better than Roy.. :)
I watched the Cowboys play every game the last two seasons, unless the Eagles were playing at the same time.

Williams: Toomer
Dawkins: Hillard, Owens

Williams: Smith
Dawkins: R. Williams

Williams: Warner
Dawkins: Vick

What were you saying? Dawkins hurt all four of these players, just to prove your point wrong.

I watched Williams play, how would I know of all these missed tackles and all these times that he got burnt? He isn't that fast, and he isn't a strong tackler. Dawkins does everything well.

Dawkins isn't a playmaker? He won us the Green Bay game (play off one) and the Miami one (got the game winning interception, robed the WR of the ball). He also had a TD reception, fumble recovery, interception and a sack in one game versus the Texans. We won that game because of him.

AJM1613

Reaction score
BillsFan said:
The point is Nors they still only gave up 14 points. If McNabb and his receivers played well, the game would have been much closer.

It does say something for the Eagles defense that they gave up 170 yards rushing and STILL only managed to give up 14 points in that game.
McNabb was playing great up until he got hurt...what could have been...

AJM1613

Reaction score
Nors said:
The defense was only in decline last year because we lost so many players. Any time you lose 9 (5 starters) defensive players in one year, you can't expect to have more than the 7th ranked defense. That is amazing.

Everyone in Philly loves Johnson, more than Reid, so that will never happen.

Sheppard and Ware will prove to be just as good as Vincent and Taylor were last year, because of the system. Brown will be a better nickleback than Harris was. Vincent was always a good player, but Taylor was overrated. Taylor was, in his prime, one of the best cover corners in the league. The problem with Taylor is that he can't tackle and he isn't that fast, so he gets beat. Ware WILL be a better player than he was, but he won't start this year.

Simoneau was extremely underrated last year, he was the defensive player of the month in November, and was on his way to be a probowler until Thomas went down.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

Philadelphia Eagles: The Eagles have fired four members of their personnel department, including college scouting director Marc Ross.

The major shakeup came just days after the 2004 draft and, while there had been rumors the Eagles might make some changes, the ouster of Ross, the league's youngest college director (31), came as a surprise.

In addition to Ross, the team dismissed regional scout Dave Boller and area scouts Jim Monos and Richard Shelton.

Personnel director Tom Heckert, who also fired one scout after last year's draft, is expected to move quickly to fill the vacancies.

Draft pick to have sinus surgery: Offensive lineman Shawn Andrews, the first-round pick of the Eagles in last weekend's draft, will undergo surgery next Friday to correct a serious sinus condition. The procedure will remove polyps from the sinuses of the former Arkansas star.

Andrews cited the polyps late last year as the reason he left the Razorbacks prior to their Independence Bowl game. There have been plenty of skeptics who suggested publicly and privately that Andrews was just using the condition as an excuse to rationalize his weight gain. Just a few months ago, Andrews weighed more than 400 pounds, but is now in the 345-pound range.

Just after the draft, Andrews met with Eagles team physicians who agreed that surgery was needed to correct what can be a dangerous condition. Andrews' agent, Rich Moran, said that the Philadelphia medical staff apprised him that one side of his client's sinus was completely blocked by the polyps.

Repairing the condition should help improve Andrews' stamina.

I feel for ya Eagles fans - I was there early 80'S When we lost 3 straight NFC Championship games. And we then slowly imploded. There are stunning analogies there.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Eagles fire longtime spokesman Howard

Ron Howard, one of the most senior members of the Eagles' organization, has been fired by Mark Donovan, the team's senior vice president of business operations. Howard, director of marketing and communications, had been with the Eagles since 1984 when he joined the team as a member of the public relations staff. He later became the head of the public relations department and remained in that position until the 2000 season when he was replaced by Derek Boyko.

A team source said Donovan, who joined the team last May, is in the process of hiring a replacement for Howard, who was the primary spokesman for all charitable and stadium-related events.

Howard did not return a phone call yesterday.

This is worst than survivor!

AJM1613

Reaction score
Nors said:
Eagles fire longtime spokesman Howard

Ron Howard, one of the most senior members of the Eagles' organization, has been fired by Mark Donovan, the team's senior vice president of business operations. Howard, director of marketing and communications, had been with the Eagles since 1984 when he joined the team as a member of the public relations staff. He later became the head of the public relations department and remained in that position until the 2000 season when he was replaced by Derek Boyko.

A team source said Donovan, who joined the team last May, is in the process of hiring a replacement for Howard, who was the primary spokesman for all charitable and stadium-related events.

Howard did not return a phone call yesterday.

This is worst than survivor!
The four that were fired (college scouts) were hired last year so, did they implode last year too? I don't really know about Howard, there must have been some reason.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
AJM1613 said:
The four that were fired (college scouts) were hired last year so, did they implode last year too? I don't really know about Howard, there must have been some reason.

That Kurt Russell movie where they are trapped in an antarctic type place and one of them is an alien! Paranoia is in the Eagle organization. :eek:

AJM1613

Reaction score
Nors said:
tHE pANTHERS JAMMED IT RIGHT DOWN THEIR THROATS. sO DID THE pACKERS! sorry bout caps

What was TOP in campionship loss. Yes the offense was MIA too
Durring those games they did run the ball well, but we won one, and lost the other because of the offense. Durring the Green Bay game, McNabb had a great game and we won, during the Carolina game McNabb was injured and he didn't play well after that injury. That is the reason why we lost.

Bizwah

Reaction score
AJM1613 said:
Durring those games they did run the ball well, but we won one, and lost the other because of the offense. Durring the Green Bay game, McNabb had a great game and we won, during the Carolina game McNabb was injured and he didn't play well after that injury. That is the reason why we lost.

Has there ever been a game you lost where McNabb hasn't been injured?

This lame excuse has run its course.

Status
Not open for further replies.