Brees willing to take below market contract

blueblood70

Reaction score
You make it sound like you think he got cheated? For a 4th round draft pick on a rookie contract, Dak was paid just what he was supposed to be paid. He wasn't cheated or slighted. Course for a meager million $$ a year he was probably surviving on ramen noodles and bread and water. :(
:hammer::lmao:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
  • DREW BREESQB, NEW ORLEANS SAINTS

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports impending free agent Drew Brees is willing to take a below-market deal with the Saints.
    Brees has already said he is re-signing with the Saints, so it is just a matter of working out the details. Rapsheet expects Brees to settle for somewhere in the neighborhood of what he was making under his recently-expired two-year deal, which was $25 million per season. The Saints always need to get creative with the cap, so this will be a big help as Brees desperately seeks his second Super Bowl title.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
    Mar 12, 2020, 3:54 PM ET
This must be a lie. QBs aren't supposed to give team friendly deals.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Is he marrying Gisele too?

This gives the Saints such an unfair advantage.. These QB's who take team friendly deals just give their team a much better chance at a Superbowl.

To put in perspective, 25 million is more than 99% of the population earn in their LIFETIME. This is what veteran QBs will have to do if they want to play on teams that can compete. The reason is simple. There is one pie and the bigger piece they get, the less there is for others.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
The Saints have paid Drew Brees $231 million.

The Cowboys have paid Dak Prescott $2 million.

You can see why one side might be a little more concerned about money than the other.

kskboys

Reaction score
I get forced-fed a lot of Drew Brees on television and sports talk radio living down here in Saints territory. One perception I have never had, watching or listening to the man speak, is that he was not a knowledgeable person. Just my opinion but I think believing Brees did not foresee his previous negotiated contract having a negative impact on the team's salary cap for player acquisition is a huge stretch of the imagination.

I am in northern Louisiana but I do know that the Saints fanbase were very apprehensive about Brees salary demands at that time. New Orleans/ESPN sports talk host Gus Kattengell of The Sports Hangover is a weekly guest on my area's afternoon radio sports talk show. Kattengell would often talk about the positive and negative aspects of meeting Brees' contract demands. He stated his show received many calls from the Saints faithful about the subject.

Basically, I cannot quantify Brees NOT knowing how his last contract would affect future roster decisions since A) he is (seemingly) smart enough to know better and B) the buzz surrounding him about his salary demands should have been too loud for him to ignore and not contemplate.

Perhaps I am completely wrong but I still feel 99% certain Brees understood his contract demands would likely cost the team key player or players.
Quite possible.

Dak seems unaware of this. Is he that dumb?

kskboys

Reaction score
The Saints have paid Drew Brees $231 million.

The Cowboys have paid Dak Prescott $2 million.

You can see why one side might be a little more concerned about money than the other.
If he's so concerned about money, then why isn't he accepting the more than reasonable deal that's being offered, over 30 mil/season, 105 mil guaranteed. This is enough so he never has to worry about money again. So why doesn't he get rid of his concern?

Adreme

Reaction score
If he's so concerned about money, then why isn't he accepting the more than reasonable deal that's being offered, over 30 mil/season, 105 mil guaranteed. This is enough so he never has to worry about money again. So why doesn't he get rid of his concern?

Because he clearly wants the most he can get which is his right as a player and I would not tell anyone else in any other job that they do not have the right to try and earn as much as they can. It was the motivation of Drew Brees for most of his career, Brady before he married Giselle, and pretty much every other top QB on down to the mid level guys all wanting the most they possibly can.

kskboys

Reaction score
Because he clearly wants the most he can get which is his right as a player and I would not tell anyone else in any other job that they do not have the right to try and earn as much as they can. It was the motivation of Drew Brees for most of his career, Brady before he married Giselle, and pretty much every other top QB on down to the mid level guys all wanting the most they possibly can.
Well, derdeedee. Of course he has the right. The question is, does he have the mental fortitude to realize that 30 mil/season makes him just as rich as 36 mil/season.

And Brady took less before Gisele. You should've fact checked that to avoid posting incorrect stuff!!!!

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
You make it sound like you think he got cheated? For a 4th round draft pick on a rookie contract, Dak was paid just what he was supposed to be paid. He wasn't cheated or slighted. Course for a meager million $$ a year he was probably surviving on ramen noodles and bread and water. :(
I don’t feel he was cheated. It is a simple fact. He has been the best value in the NFL for the past 4 years since he significantly outperformed his rookie contract. I would not expect that player to then look to take a team friendly deal at the first opportunity he has to actually get paid what he thinks he is worth. Not sure why this is an issue. Whether you want him to get paid or not, surely you can see it isn’t irrational for him to play a little hard ball, especially when some of his teammates have been rewarded for doing the same thing.

Adreme

Reaction score
Well, derdeedee. Of course he has the right. The question is, does he have the mental fortitude to realize that 30 mil/season makes him just as rich as 36 mil/season.

And Brady took less before Gisele. You should've fact checked that to avoid posting incorrect stuff!!!!

No he did not. He did not take the highest paid contract in his first extension because at the time there were still question marks about him and experts were asking was he just along for the ride. It was not until after that contract, and when he got a certain elite WR, that people stopped asking if he was that good but by then he had married into someone making double his money

Also last I checked 30 million is in fact 6 million less than 36 million so you are not just as rich. As much as you are worth does not mean "20% less than what I am worth because its close enough," its means it is fine for him to want to every penny.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Quite possible.

Dak seems unaware of this. Is he that dumb?
Prescott's level of concern MAY NOT BE equal to that held by others who are not him. It may be cliché to say but Prescott is negotiating a contract that will benefit him best. How others (not named Jerry and Stephen Jones) feel about his personal goals in the negotiations is not his concern.

I am certain Prescott has already discerned how he will adjust to future roster acquisition and/or retention directly impacted by his salary demands. His stance comes across as cold to outside observers but the NFL is a business that makes billions from playing a game--not the other way around.

CowboysLegends2

Reaction score
It's too bad our genius GM and his adopted idiot son/coach didn't take advantage when we had the unfair advantage with Dak's rookie contract. With that being said I wish Dak would follow Brees and Brady's lead by being a team player with the cap. He'll take a little less to hopefully win a little more, or win it all. And leave a legacy behind.
Don’t forget the endorsement and merch money he gets by winning more.

It is frustrating that a QB who is one year removed from forcing his team to give up a first round pick for a receiver to save a disastrous 3-5 first half of the season. This is after he already had the best RB and what many consider the best O-Line. Knowing he can’t carry an offense with all that unless he has a top of the league receiver should make him a little more humble.

The contract offered is a top QB in the league level contract and he can make up the difference with the outside opportunities afforded when a Cowboys QB is part of a winning franchise.

plymkr

Reaction score
Don’t forget the endorsement and merch money he gets by winning more.

It is frustrating that a QB who is one year removed from forcing his team to give up a first round pick for a receiver to save a disastrous 3-5 first half of the season. This is after he already had the best RB and what many consider the best O-Line. Knowing he can’t carry an offense with all that unless he has a top of the league receiver should make him a little more humble.

The contract offered is a top QB in the league level contract and he can make up the difference with the outside opportunities afforded when a Cowboys QB is part of a winning franchise.
I agree with everything you said.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
This must be a lie. QBs aren't supposed to give team friendly deals.

Brees has been paid $244 million during his career. He's the 3rd highest paid player in NFL history. NOW he's being "team friendly" after almost 20 years.

Not remotely the same as the Dak situation.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Brees has been paid $244 million during his career. He's the 3rd highest paid player in NFL history. NOW he's being "team friendly" after almost 20 years.

Not remotely the same as the Dak situation.
They're both being paid multiple times more than I'd make in 5 lifetimes. Dak's already made more as a rookie than I will in my life. Sorry, but if you want to make comparisons, it should be phrased as "who's greedier", not "who deserves more".

Buzzbait

Reaction score

Exactly!