Brees willing to take below market contract

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
you have no clue what you’re talking about. Show me where Dak made 40M in endorsements last year?
The figure I saw was 7M per year, don't know how long the contracts are for. The total has been projected between 40-50M.

garyo1954

Reaction score

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Yeah, that's BS. There is finger pointing everyday, in every Dak thread.
Mighty defensive here, ABQ. I'll try one more time to be respectful to you and then I will begin treating you with the same disrespect if that's how you want to communicate.

We weren't talking about every Dak thread. I specifically mentioned Dak has only received $4 million over 4 years and you specifically said it seemed there was finger pointing at the team because Dak only made $4 millioin.

I'm not going to vouch for anyone else, I will only stand by my comments. I'm not pointing fingers at the Cowboys for Dak not being able to get paid any more for his first 4 years. It still doesn't change the fact Dak received peanuts, particularly considering how well he performed. I'm not going to fault him for trying to maximize his earning potential whether I want him to get paid, whether I agree he should be paid, or whether I think he is good enough to get paid the type of money he is looking for. I'm not going to worry about him taking a team friendly deal. I may change how critical I am of his play when he starts making the big bucks but I certainly think he's earned the right to make as much as he thinks he can.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, that's BS. There is finger pointing everyday, in every Dak thread.

I hear market value all the time. Well, truth is that you don't know what his market is. The term "Market Value" means what somebody is willing to pay or what a given product would fetch. Since that has yet to be tested, you don't know what Dak's value is on the open market. It's not a given fact that he is worth any stated amount of money until somebody pays for him. Reportedly, the Cowboys have offered him a deal that would pay him at or among the top player in the game. If he doesn't want that deal, then nobody should fault the team for sticking to their guns and using the tools at their disposal to either reach a deal or get him traded.
What's the "market value" on Purell these days?

One thing some do not consider is market value in the NFL is all supply and demand. Byron Jones is going to be a beneficiary of market value because of the lack of supply. What realistic options do the Cowboys have if they want to try and win now?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
$10M difference per year is an advantage. But $10 only buys so much. Proper overall cap management is far more important.

I’m a little bit less concerned about $35m per year on Dak than I am about $20m per year on a marginally performing Tank. Or giving Witten money last year that he just wasn’t worth.
Crawford’s excessive cap hit fits in there too.

I realize not every contract has to be a great one, but a few really bad contracts really starts putting your team in a bind. Dez’ contract was a really bad contract too. You just have to be smart about not over paying too many people.

Was not in favor of Tank's deal. Having said that, it's done. Witten was a bargain last year, with what he got paid IMO. Crawford was missed last year, we needed that guy. In general, I agree. Some guys you pay whatever for because they effect your business to that extent. Some guys are really good but they aren't guys you can't live without. You have to do what's in the best interests of your business.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What's being missed: Brees hasn't forgotten that the last time he held out for a huge contract, it led to 3 consecutive seasons of 7-9. Suddenly, that extra OL that was needed when someone went down wasn't there. Those FA's needed to shore up weaknesses were unaffordable. And the D was terrible and desperately needed upgrading, and there were no funds.

Snowball effect. And, BTW, Brees was still throwing for 5,000 yards. Brees threw for 5,208 in 2016 as the Saints went 7-9. MUST HAVE D.
I get forced-fed a lot of Drew Brees on television and sports talk radio living down here in Saints territory. One perception I have never had, watching or listening to the man speak, is that he was not a knowledgeable person. Just my opinion but I think believing Brees did not foresee his previous negotiated contract having a negative impact on the team's salary cap for player acquisition is a huge stretch of the imagination.

I am in northern Louisiana but I do know that the Saints fanbase were very apprehensive about Brees salary demands at that time. New Orleans/ESPN sports talk host Gus Kattengell of The Sports Hangover is a weekly guest on my area's afternoon radio sports talk show. Kattengell would often talk about the positive and negative aspects of meeting Brees' contract demands. He stated his show received many calls from the Saints faithful about the subject.

Basically, I cannot quantify Brees NOT knowing how his last contract would affect future roster decisions since A) he is (seemingly) smart enough to know better and B) the buzz surrounding him about his salary demands should have been too loud for him to ignore and not contemplate.

Perhaps I am completely wrong but I still feel 99% certain Brees understood his contract demands would likely cost the team key player or players.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

One thing some do not consider is market value in the NFL is all supply and demand. Byron Jones is going to be a beneficiary of market value because of the lack of supply. What realistic options do the Cowboys have if they want to try and win now?

First you must determine if you even can win now, assuming you make any given move. We are not a championship team now, IMO. Our Defense just isn't good enough but having said this, the other question you have to ask is, does it have to be Purell? Can you just use Chlorine Bleach or Quaternary Ammonia or maybe Concentrated Iodine?

This is potentially the best market for QBs I've seen in over 20 years, longer really. If you are going to make a move at QB, this is shaping up to be one of the most opportune times to do it IMO.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Of course he knew lol
I know right? Sure, comprehension levels differ from person-to-person but I doubt there are very many NFL players who do not know contract expenditures impact their particular team's salary cap. The subject is, literally, talked about on television, radio and social media ALL the time.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Mighty defensive here, ABQ. I'll try one more time to be respectful to you and then I will begin treating you with the same disrespect if that's how you want to communicate.

We weren't talking about every Dak thread. I specifically mentioned Dak has only received $4 million over 4 years and you specifically said it seemed there was finger pointing at the team because Dak only made $4 millioin.

I'm not going to vouch for anyone else, I will only stand by my comments. I'm not pointing fingers at the Cowboys for Dak not being able to get paid any more for his first 4 years. It still doesn't change the fact Dak received peanuts, particularly considering how well he performed. I'm not going to fault him for trying to maximize his earning potential whether I want him to get paid, whether I agree he should be paid, or whether I think he is good enough to get paid the type of money he is looking for. I'm not going to worry about him taking a team friendly deal. I may change how critical I am of his play when he starts making the big bucks but I certainly think he's earned the right to make as much as he thinks he can.

Not at all. I'm just stating facts, regardless of how inconvenient they may be. Dak got what he chose. As I said earlier, he could have been paid more, in advance, had he elected to. He didn't, that's his choice. He can choose to try and get more money from another team but in order to do that, there are things he gives up. The term, "Team Friendly" is convenient. To my knowledge, the offer on the table right now is not team friendly. Team Friendly would be 27 to 30 for 5 years. That kind of deal is not on the table.

I agree that he has earned the right to make as much as he can. That can be said about anybody but the reality is that you accept the consequences of such actions. Dak is worth what the team will pay him. They can block any trade and control Dak's career for the next two years, should they decide to do that. That's the truth of it, as I see it.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I know right? Sure, comprehension levels differ from person-to-person but I doubt there are very many NFL players who do not know contract expenditures impact their particular team's salary cap. The subject is, literally, talked about on television, radio and social media ALL the time.
I don't think they all pay attention, specifically, to cap ramifications, but they're all aware of the logic that if they get paid, someone else doesn't.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Not at all. I'm just stating facts, regardless of how inconvenient they may be. Dak got what he chose. As I said earlier, he could have been paid more, in advance, had he elected to. He didn't, that's his choice. He can choose to try and get more money from another team but in order to do that, there are things he gives up. The term, "Team Friendly" is convenient. To my knowledge, the offer on the table right now is not team friendly. Team Friendly would be 27 to 30 for 5 years. That kind of deal is not on the table.

I agree that he has earned the right to make as much as he can. That can be said about anybody but the reality is that you accept the consequences of such actions. Dak is worth what the team will pay him. They can block any trade and control Dak's career for the next two years, should they decide to do that. That's the truth of it, as I see it.
And do you think I'm just making stuff up? I'm just stating facts too along with opinions, just like you are.

Oh, and for the record, I don't disagree with your logic either. I understand there are two sides to this and neither are right or wrong, just preference.

Last edited:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Exactly. A lot of fans prefer to ignore the truth that market value in the NFL works the same way as market value in real estate, or commodities, or hand sanitizer or any other "market". It is, as you said, supply and demand. Instead they often look at salaries as a position ranking, and I think some look at the NFL as a recreational activity, like it was for them as kids, and therefore they close their eyes to the business aspects.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I don't think we really know what the offer on the table is. There are rumors, as their have been for a year, so I don't take those as reliable. And even if the yearly average is accurate, do we know the guaranteed amount and number of years involved?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I don't think we really know what the offer on the table is. There are rumors, as their have been for a year, so I don't take those as reliable. And even if the yearly average is accurate, do we know the guaranteed amount and number of years involved?

We don't either way so the reverse is also applicable. It could be even better then reported, we don't know.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
And do you think I'm just making stuff up? I'm just stating facts too along with opinions, just like you are.

Oh, and for the record, I don't disagree with your logic either. I understand there are two sides to this and neither are right or wrong, just preference.

What facts are you stating? We don't know the details so any conversation had around this issue, in terms of specific details, are hearsay. This is why I always try to preface by saying "according to reports", or some such.

There is what Dak and his agent want and there is what the team is willing to pay. That's really all we know.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We don't either way so the reverse is also applicable. It could be even better then reported, we don't know.
That's true. That's why I'm not getting upset with either side - we don't know who, if anyone is the culprit. I do, however, find it interesting that they can't seem to figure out how to make it work. I'm not remotely prone to conspiracy theories, but I half wonder if Jerry planned to drag this out to keep the Cowboys in the news through the offseason. I suspect Jerry is of the mindset that there is no such thing as bad publicity.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
What facts are you stating? We don't know the details so any conversation had around this issue, in terms of specific details, are hearsay. This is why I always try to preface by saying "according to reports", or some such.

There is what Dak and his agent want and there is what the team is willing to pay. That's really all we know.
Is it or is it not a fact he's made $4 million over 4 years? $4,028,392 to be exact.

Is it or is it not a fact that it's the most he could have made for the first 4 years of play, even if he signed a deal early that would have given him an advance on the agreed upon extension?

Those are facts. I haven't just pulled anything out of my butt. And I haven't even gotten into rumors. Not even really sure why you took issue with my comment in the first place. Frankly, I'm still baffled by this conversation.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Drew Brees was contemplating retirement and had to decide whether he wanted to continue to play. He’s been piling up cash for 19 NFL seasons he could care less about money at this stage in his career. Most QBs that are past 40 are willing to take a below market contract to keep playing but most fans here want Dak to take a below market contract on his first extension.