Brees willing to take below market contract

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Is he marrying Gisele too?

This gives the Saints such an unfair advantage.. These QB's who take team friendly deals just give their team a much better chance at a Superbowl.

If Brees, played for $200 million or $2 dollars, it wouldn't matter. The Saints aren't good enough to win the championship.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Brees wasn’t about to try and handicap the Saints by asking for a ton of money just so he could play one more season. He’s only coming back to try and win one more Super Bowl.

conner01

Reaction score
Why compare a 40-something QB that has already earned his fortune's situation to Dak's, who is looking for his first big contract ever?

Sign Brady or Brees and the Cowboys may win for a year or two, then it's back trying to separate the Patrick Mahomes and Deshaun Watsons of the draft from the Paxton Lynchs and Josh Rosens. No thank you.

Pay Dak and get it over with, Cowboys.
237 million he’s made so far in his career
Lots of below market contracts lol

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
That's true. That's why I'm not getting upset with either side - we don't know who, if anyone is the culprit. I do, however, find it interesting that they can't seem to figure out how to make it work. I'm not remotely prone to conspiracy theories, but I half wonder if Jerry planned to drag this out to keep the Cowboys in the news through the offseason. I suspect Jerry is of the mindset that there is no such thing as bad publicity.

It's a negotiation so there really is no wrong side to me. I don't think Jerry is dragging it out, per say. I just think that the CBA is close and until that's actually done, nothing is really going to happen. They are just at that point IMO. No, I think Jerry would like to get this out of the way because the sooner he gets Dak figured out, the sooner and the better he can work on all the rest. You definitely want your QB sito settled before the draft right? Either way, I'm fairly certain that the hold up is over the duration of contract itself. Jerry wants 5 years and Dak wants three. Jerry insists on 5 so Dak says, OK, then we want 40 per. I think that's the entire thing myself.

JMO

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Is it or is it not a fact he's made $4 million over 4 years? $4,028,392 to be exact.

Is it or is it not a fact that it's the most he could have made for the first 4 years of play, even if he signed a deal early that would have given him an advance on the agreed upon extension?

Those are facts. I haven't just pulled anything out of my butt. And I haven't even gotten into rumors. Not even really sure why you took issue with my comment in the first place. Frankly, I'm still baffled by this conversation.

Do you have a point here? If you do, get to it. None of this is relevant.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
3shpsz.jpg
https://imgflip.com/memegenerator

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Brees does well.... not bad for the all time yardage leader in NFL history and a top 3-4 QB for the past 13 years or so, and someone who has a Lombardi... but he isnt making as much as Dak, who cant hold a candle to what Brees has accomplished.

bro did you read the article? It says his endorsements plus his insurance policy if he had a career ending injury equals to $50M. The biggest part of that is the insurance policy and obviously that doesn’t apply since Dak isn’t hurt. Dak made NOWHERE near $50M in endorsements man.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
It's a negotiation so there really is no wrong side to me. I don't think Jerry is dragging it out, per say. I just think that the CBA is close and until that's actually done, nothing is really going to happen. They are just at that point IMO. No, I think Jerry would like to get this out of the way because the sooner he gets Dak figured out, the sooner and the better he can work on all the rest. You definitely want your QB sito settled before the draft right? Either way, I'm fairly certain that the hold up is over the duration of contract itself. Jerry wants 5 years and Dak wants three. Jerry insists on 5 so Dak says, OK, then we want 40 per. I think that's the entire thing myself.

JMO
Negotiation expert in the house. Doesn't have a clue what's going on but has a ton of empty space in between the ears to have random thoughts bounce around in there, then puke them on the board.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Negotiation expert in the house. Doesn't have a clue what's going on but has a ton of empty space in between the ears to have random thoughts bounce around in there, then puke them on the board.

Yawn....... at what point do you get to the "Wall" part you claimed? Get to serious discussion and clean this BS up or move on. I don't have time or inclination to waste on this little 14 year old chicken fight process you are trying to drag this thread down.

Stop the personal attacks and discuss the issue seriously or move on. Simple as that.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
bro did you read the article? It says his endorsements plus his insurance policy if he had a career ending injury equals to $50M. The biggest part of that is the insurance policy and obviously that doesn’t apply since Dak isn’t hurt. Dak made NOWHERE near $50M in endorsements man.

Not sure specifically what article is being referred to here but if it's the Fox Sports report, I do recall reading that. It's a combination of both endorsements and insurance. It doesn't give numbers, as I recall but it does say that it's both. Good call.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Yawn....... at what point do you get to the "Wall" part you claimed? Get to serious discussion and clean this BS up or move on. I don't have time or inclination to waste on this little 14 year old chicken fight process you are trying to drag this thread down.

Stop the personal attacks and discuss the issue seriously or move on. Simple as that.
We get it. You want everyone to agree with you. Well, come up with better opinions.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
It's interesting, I was just talking about Brees earlier today and the hold out deal in 2012 or whatever year it was. So, does this now reset the market for QBs or will people say that Brees is not one of the top QBs in the league?

I don't know. I know this though, you are right. This absolutely gives the Saints a clear advantage in the league. That's a really big deal right there.
brees is 40. he got another couple of years. he wants rings, not more money. his best chance to get ring is in NO and he is trying to help them so they can sign players to win one. in 18 years in the league he has made his money....

Scotman

Reaction score
I wouldn't voluntarily take 25-30% less pay than my market value. Would you?
If that were the only number in the calculation, I would completely agree that he shouldn't. But I honestly don't think it is. I think a decidedly team-friendly deal, one well below market value, drastically increases his marketability. I think he will make less in the long run.

I'm not the best person to ask because I realize I'm probably an outlier when it comes to this decision. I turned down several raises and opportunities so that my school district could afford to keep me. The last two years before I retired I turned down a long-term contract and any raises so that I could give several long-term employees substantial raises. When I retired I was still in the bottom third of superintendent salaries in Texas despite 12 years as a super and a superintendent of the year award. Money is important and I was still well compensated, but I valued other things more.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
  • DREW BREESQB, NEW ORLEANS SAINTS

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports impending free agent Drew Brees is willing to take a below-market deal with the Saints.
    Brees has already said he is re-signing with the Saints, so it is just a matter of working out the details. Rapsheet expects Brees to settle for somewhere in the neighborhood of what he was making under his recently-expired two-year deal, which was $25 million per season. The Saints always need to get creative with the cap, so this will be a big help as Brees desperately seeks his second Super Bowl title.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
    Mar 12, 2020, 3:54 PM ET
WHAT????? NOBODY, but NOBODY would ever take less than all they could get!!!!
At LEAST market value!!
Isn't that what guys have been saying on the forum for weeks now?
So don't even THINK Dak should give the Cowboys a break! :laugh::laugh:

Buzzbait

Reaction score
I wonder if he would take below market value if he got paid $4 million total for the last 4 years?

You make it sound like you think he got cheated? For a 4th round draft pick on a rookie contract, Dak was paid just what he was supposed to be paid. He wasn't cheated or slighted. Course for a meager million $$ a year he was probably surviving on ramen noodles and bread and water. :(

blueblood70

Reaction score
Back Up QBs can make a ton of money in this league floating from one team to the next, they will always be in high demand.
good for dak but im not paying a future backup more then hes been offered..I rather say goodbye and start over then pay dak his demands..