Signed by Cowboys Brice Butler officially back

Sydla

Reaction score
Butler when Gordon could of been had for a fifth?????, I would rather have taken a chance on him who wants to play in Dallas than someone who didn't speak highly of his time here. And upside of Gordon is good but he does have his baggage.

The upside of Gordon dwarfs "good". He's a true #1 type WR in this league. The baggage is an issue but for a 5th?

No brainer.

mardwin

Reaction score
The problem is Butler is a JAG and likely isn't going to yield any real positive results either.

I do chuckle though at people talking about late round picks like they are pure gold. No offense, but it's insane to argue that a 5th rounder is more valuable in building a roster than flipping it for a guy who is an elite WR if he can stay on the field (and if he couldn't, you'd get a 7th rounder back from Cleveland).

There was little to no risk in Gordon. Butler is just another in a long line of cheap, bargain bin moves that more often than not, fizzle out for this franchise.

You need a QB to throw him the ball to be effective. Dak is not going to maximize Gordon's potential, just like he didn't maximize Dez.

A 5th round can turn into something else if you have the right trade package in place, again giving away your late picks leave you with a lot of undrafted free agents like the current Seahawks.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Only issue I have with Butler was his inability to stay on the field.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Then why let him walk in the offseason when you were building a "dak friendly" offense?
Prob cause we realize that isn’t working like we thought it would. I’d say Dez might even be back on the table .

I at least respect them for admitting they might have made a mistake.

Sydla

Reaction score
You need a QB to throw him the ball to be effective. Dak is not going to maximize Gordon's potential, just like he didn't maximize Dez.

A 5th round can turn into something else if you have the right trade package in place, again giving away your late picks leave you with a lot of undrafted free agents like the current Seahawks.

But a guy like Gordon could have helped a QB like Dak.

I mean Gordon put up big numbers when he played with the slop at QB that the Browns were continually running out there. And for the criticism Dak gets, he's a better QB than the slop Gordon played with at times.

In 2013, Gordon had 1600 yards and 9 TDs and had Jason Campbell, Brian Hoyer and Brandon Weeden throwing him passes.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The upside of Gordon dwarfs "good". He's a true #1 type WR in this league. The baggage is an issue but for a 5th?

No brainer.

The league just sits back and plucks talent off of the Browns for peanuts. Like pulling fruit off of a tree.

But yeah, the receiver-starved Cowboys say "no thanks!"

Just like their former infatuation Paxton Lynch. He works out for virtually every team other than the Cowboys while we sit around with Rush and Mike White, praying nothing ever happens to our starter (who's struggling himself).

For a 9-7 team in 2017, there's an awful lot of misplaced contentment around here.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Don't get why people are upset about this. Depending who they release, of course.
fans are just whiny.
they brought him back because dak trusts him.
it's a non-story really.

dal thought they'd get a comp pick for him but he had no value league wide so they simply brought him back.
there are a lot of nfl vet wrs on the market but this is a guy dak knows.

as to his complaints, who cares. dal has demoted both guys... dez was released ans twill is getting 5 snaps a game.
so apparently the front office believed what he was saying.

familiarity with dak is key.

mardwin

Reaction score
But a guy like Gordon could have helped a QB like Dak.

I mean Gordon put up big numbers when he played with the slop at QB that the Browns were continually running out there. And for the criticism Dak gets, he's a better QB than the slop Gordon played with at times.

In 2013, Gordon had 1600 yards and 9 TDs and had Jason Campbell, Brian Hoyer and Brandon Weeden throwing him passes.

Gordon did play with bad QBs but most of them weren't afraid to let the ball lose beyond 15 yards, that's his trait a guy that can go deep and Dak is not that type of QB. You can give Dak Jerry Rice and Michael Irvin and both of them would look ordinary. Remember that Dak's #1 attribute as a QB is that he doesn't turn the ball over because he doesn't take any risks.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
fans are just whiny.
they brought him back because dak trusts him.
it's a non-story really.

dal thought they'd get a comp pick for him but he had no value league wide so they simply brought him back.
there are a lot of nfl vet wrs on the market but this is a guy dak knows.

as to his complaints, who cares. dal has demoted both guys... dez was released ans twill is getting 5 snaps a game.
so apparently the front office believed what he was saying.

familiarity with dak is key.

And if we brought in Gordon, they'd be whining about why we were getting a player who was one step away from a lifetime ban