News: Brice Butler to Dallas

esloan

Reaction score
I find it hard to believe he couldn't come in here and produce as soon as Sunday. The guy's a pro's pro. He can learn the offense on the fly.

He. Can. Not. Run. Any. More.

Seriously, what does it take to make you realize this?

He is football smart. He is savvy. He is a veteran. And none of that matters if he does not have the physical tools to get open any more.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
im not even going to defend the points that would take al day to even bring into the pre points that one should even think this was built on the fact thsi guy is going to stick when you put a clause in it of "6 weeks and he has to land on teh roster or no deal" with the knowledge the Raiders dont care SINCE they were about to waive him.

What you smoking tonight? Pass it around.

Deep_South

Reaction score
who would be scouring for the Raiders throw aways? is the mega talent they toss be afforded by another team? i think we could have hedged our bets he would be free

Don't be silly. The Cowboys' brain-trust targeted this guy and wanted first look. There were lots of options, and they negotiated a free trial to see what he's got.

Shotgun Dave

Reaction score
Interesting to me that we traded for Butler...and not Andre Holmes, who is also third string for the Raiders and who was on our roster a couple of years ago. I thought Holmes had something...tall, fast, and physical...and when we released him I recall he was a pretty good deep threat for them. Wondering how he and Butler compare, and why we didn't bring Holmes back. Anybody have any feedback on that?

Kaiser

Reaction score
I think it would be the funniest thing in the history of this forum is Butler contributes, Dallas has the last pick of the draft and the Raiders have the first pick. If we only move one spot in this trade its going to be hilarious.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Not sure, but it's probably a good move. Find the most incompetent coaching staff (i.e. Jack Del Rio and Co.) and try to poach a player from them, they are the most likely to miss on a real prospect.

What I like about this and the Michael trade..

is that we are getting guys who both played alot in the pre-season and produced.

That should be helpful to have them ready to contribute quickly with less worry of injures from not having played much.

Can't wait to see them both play.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Interesting to me that we traded for Butler...and not Andre Holmes, who is also third string for the Raiders and who was on our roster a couple of years ago. I thought Holmes had something...tall, fast, and physical...and when we released him I recall he was a pretty good deep threat for them. Wondering how he and Butler compare, and why we didn't bring Holmes back. Anybody have any feedback on that?

Well for one thing Holmes doesn't have that sub 4.4 speed. He is tall and lanky and can out jump most defenders though. I also read an article that Butler is familiar with the X position - the position that Bryant plays. Thus Butler can fit right in almost immediately since he's familiar with that position. I also believe he has more of an upside than Holmes does. Just needs proper coaching to be more consistent.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
I think you have watched too much Dez and Johnson. I don't think "timid" is the word you're looking for either.

But yeah, at this point, we are looking at a poor man's Dez Bryant.

Are you my mother? I said timid because i meant timid. Any receiver that big should not be so easy to take down, Dez Bryant is a whole different level.

Butler only wishes he is a poor man's Dez Bryant. At this point I'm praying that Butler can be a poor man's Alvin Harper.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
I'm not sure how many fans realize Romo is elite...

Shhh ... When [Unknown Player X] has a big game Sunday, it'll be a mere coincidence and luck that [Unknown Player X] just happened to develop at the right time.

guag

Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix 01
Reaction score
Ahh, Jerry just pulling draft picks out of his arse. Me likes his way of dealing. Three other NFL teams has our 2016 7th pick. Who cares, live for the moment Jerry.

Exactly. YOLO. lol.

guag

Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix 01
Reaction score
Wondering how he and Butler compare, and why we didn't bring Holmes back. Anybody have any feedback on that?

It's probably precisely because we've seen Holmes firsthand previously that we weren't interested in another go around... we knew exactly what we'd get with him, and it wasn't going to be good enough.

coult44

Reaction score
Yeah but Robinson had Dez and a younger Witten garnering all the attention. This is my point. We have to get through these next 8 games or so without any alpha threat on offense. Our RBs are pitiful and there isn't a WR that threatens anyone. Bring Laurent Robinson into that mix and let me see him put up 11 touchdowns again. It's not happening.

Tell me all the playmakers the Pats had last year? Ohhhh, but Brady? I'm not comparing Romo's career to Brady's. But if Tony plays like he did last week, and the defense plays like they did, and we cut the turnovers out, why can't we go with Tony and a bunch of no name guys. Seems like we scored pretty easy without Dez last week. The way you're talking we should just give up now....

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Man. Reggie Wayne is an empty sack. He'd do nothing here, and we aren't building the roster by adding past-their-prime players who no long have it athletically and who give up in camp when things stop being 'fun.'

Brice Butler is what he is. He's a WR4/WR5 candidate who's young and who has physical ability. And there's nothing wrong with that. It's what we do these days. We bring in talented young players and try to coach them up. If they can keep pace, they move up the roster and earn snaps. If they do not, they're usually not here very long.

I like that we went a got a guy when we thought we needed a guy. We've seen first hand what can happen to a defense if the offense has time and a QB who can find the open man. If Butler can be where he's supposed to be and catch it, we'll make use of him. If not, it'll be somebody else. But worrying about players like AJ Jenkins or Reggie Wayne is kind of silly. We already know Jenkins can't play. And Wayne is so done we didn't even care to bring him in to poke him and see if he moves. Better to bring in a young guy and to keep churning if he can't play.

coult44

Reaction score
I think some of y'all should just jump ship now. Dez is gone, season is over . gOOooooooooooooooo please.

There is only one player on this team that would flip our season upside down if he went down. I hate to hurt your feelings, IT AINT 88. And I'm his biggest fan. Dez will be back in time to help us get to, and win SB 50. In the meantime, prepare to watch just how special Tony Romo is. We are getting ready to start the season 6-2. Romo will lead us, and he will make you believers. He will make guys like TWILL and Cole look like Pro Bowlers. Jason Witten looked better than every tight end not named Gronk. Our RB's had over 200 yards from scrimmage.. That's more than enough. Our defense gave up hardly anything. They are young, well coached and hungry. Be happy, your team has the 2015 NFL MVP leading it right now, and he's healthy....Either get with who we have to be now, or go watch DM in Philly. He needs the love.