Video: Broaddus believes Earl will be a Cowboy **merged**

gjkoeppen

Reaction score

I didn't have to listen to the whole thing to hear a glaring error in his thinking. The Cowboys CAN NOT work out some kind of new deal with Thomas. He's UNDER CONTRACT. That would be tampering. The ONLY way that could happen is if seattle out and out releases him and we all know that isn't going to happen.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Sorry misquoted a friend told me that's why Seattle is wanting our 2nd Round Pick because they will get a 3rd Round comp pick so if we don't up it to a 2nd they will just use him this year let him walk after the season and take their 3rd. I thought he was saying they get both....my bad.

Your friend is wrong. There are many parts to deciding comp picks. Right now nobody can say with ANY certainty what or if seattle would get a comp pick if after the 2018 season if Thomas walks away unless he sits out for the entire season which means 2018 wasn't an accrued season and he would still be under contract for 2019 . If Thomas signs a contract for X amount with another team and seattle signs some free agent at any position for that X amount, there is a good chance that seattle won't get a comp pick for Thomas or at best might be a 6 or 7 round pick depending on other free agents seattle may sign. Just because a big name signs with another team doesn't guarantee a comp pick if the team the player left signs a lot of players after he leaves.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
I didn't have to listen to the whole thing to hear a glaring error in his thinking. The Cowboys CAN NOT work out some kind of new deal with Thomas. He's UNDER CONTRACT. That would be tampering. The ONLY way that could happen is if seattle out and out releases him and we all know that isn't going to happen.
The other way is if Seattle has granted Thomas permission to talk to other teams.

pacy

82 WITTEN 82
Reaction score

You can't talk to the player but what about his agent?

Falco78

Reaction score
I'd love to get him but not at 13+ mil a year if he'd be willing to do a 3 year deal in the 10 range than I'd be all for it!

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Sorry misquoted a friend told me that's why Seattle is wanting our 2nd Round Pick because they will get a 3rd Round comp pick so if we don't up it to a 2nd they will just use him this year let him walk after the season and take their 3rd. I thought he was saying they get both....my bad.
It's all good. We all have had misquotes before

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
After all the speculation, I am at a point where I hope we don't trade for ET. With the constant media barrage, this just feels like a desparation move to sign an aging, past-his-prime vet.

With all the emphasis on building through the draft, signing ET just seems counter to that strategy. Besides, if Dak returns to pre-2017 form and keeps the opposing offense off the field, then ET is a bit superfluous.

Reaction score
After all the speculation, I am at a point where I hope we don't trade for ET. With the constant media barrage, this just feels like a desparation move to sign an aging, past-his-prime vet.

With all the emphasis on building through the draft, signing ET just seems counter to that strategy. Besides, if Dak returns to pre-2017 form and keeps the opposing offense off the field, then ET is a bit superfluous.

I get where you're coming from, you don't want to count on signing older vet FAs who might not be as good as they once were. But if we could get ET on a 3 or 4 year @ 10 mil APY deal it would be a no brainer. He's 29, he still has some good years left, and he's a better safety still than we've had since Darren Woodson. We haven't had a playmaker at the S position in so long I think a lot of fans have forgotten what they can do for your defense.

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
My own sources are telling me that Earl will agree to half of a pay cut and that Seattle will accept a 6th next year and a 7th the year after.

Not sure, seems a bit much imo

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
My own sources are telling me that Earl will agree to half of a pay cut and that Seattle will accept a 6th next year and a 7th the year after.

Source "The Liquor Store Guy" :lmao2:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

What's half of a pay cut?

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
No matter what anyone says, Bryan Broaddus isn't the one calling the shots with respect to making deals. That function is solely the responsibilities of the Dallas and Seattle FOs. Thus far, we've seen nothing but rejection of our offers to attain ET. Does Seattle really want to divest itself of his services? The only football people who know that likely reside in Seattle. This thing has no clear cut destiny nor answers as yet. Personally, I can wait -- no problem. Those in the Cowboys' FO aren't willing to be taken for more than they feel it's worth. I'm fine with that.

Last edited:

glimmerman

Reaction score
Tomorrows not guaranteed. So no one can argue that, your right my friend.

But in no way did you prove he wouldn't change games. When its apparent that he would. Just adding up the factors the impact he would have in this particular secondary can't be denied. If Richard wasn't here. Totally different scenario. Thomas would be just another talented safety who may or may not succeed here.

But can I give a guarantee no I can not
In terms that it would cause opposing OC and QB to change how they attack our secondary then yes it would change the game. Nobody would want to throw over where he was. Or at least it wouldn’t be their first choice. And like any other good secondary player they will want to know where he was on the field. So in that way I agree.