Video: Broaddus believes Earl will be a Cowboy **merged**

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
The crazy thing is mark and lawnation and a couple other cowboys vloggers where sitting on their tour bus pissed off a couple days before the draft because their insider at the cowboys already informed them jerry and co were picking LVE.

Obviously they wernt big fans at first. And then I am looking on this forum at all the clueless dream draft hopes and our fellow fans just had no idea lol.

I'm a fan of LVE.

He took care of our #1 weakness on defense and that's a linebacker that can pass cover.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
the cowboys are not one player away from being a superbowl contender their motto is to build through the draft and they will keep doing that I assume but with free agency I think u need to get a good player or two in free agency I don't think building through the draft you have enough time to build a contender

garyv

Reaction score
I thought they’d get a 3rd as comp if he walks so that’s why they’d only do it for 2nd+

If Earl Thomas leave Seattle I believe they would get a 3rd Comp Pick plus whatever we give a 2nd or a 3rd. They actually
would end up with two nice picks. It really makes sense for Seattle to trade him.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
He predicted we would draft Leighton Vander Esch about a month before anyone else.

Many did. LVE was routinely in the short list of players Dallas was going to draft. As soon as Hitchens signed elsewhere that number went up,

garyv

Reaction score
What makes you think they want him gone? If you have a pro bowl safety at 8 mllion you are very happy.

Because he walks after this season probably to Dallas as a Free Agent trade him now not only a 3rd Round Comp Pick they
get our 2nd or 3rd Rounder depending what we offer. It makes sense for Seattle.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
the cowboys are not one player away from being a superbowl contender their motto is to build through the draft and they will keep doing that I assume but with free agency I think u need to get a good player or two in free agency I don't think building through the draft you have enough time to build a contender

You get as many good players as possible.

The whole player away thing is nonsense. We will never get closer to being "a player away" if we just skip free agency.

2014 and 2016 nobody expected us to be as good as we were including management that decided to not add anything to our defense.

If we get to the post season I want Earl Thomas on our team.

garyv

Reaction score
You get as many good players as possible.

The whole player away thing is nonsense. We will never get closer to being "a player away" if we just skip free agency.

2014 and 2016 nobody expected us to be as good as we were including management that decided to not add anything to our defense.

If we get to the post season I want Earl Thomas on our team.

Might be true but from this Coaching Staff's perspective especially Garrett it is win now so Earl not only helps them make the Playoffs
with Earl they might win 1 Playoff Game. It makes a difference to the Coaches.

Sandyf

Reaction score
To many people getting their hopes up for something that is far from a sure thing. Would Earl helps us, that is a given. Would it make the defense better, yes but how much still depends on the D line and how they perform. You cannot give a QB 6 seconds to find a guy because even 4 Deions in the secondary would fail with that kind of time.

Much depends on what we have to give up for Earl also. I am against anything more than a 3rd round pick. In fact with the way the roster is in Seattle, I could see a late training camp trade that doesn't involve a very high pick at all but maybe players and a late pick.

Frankly, I wouldn't be a surprise to see Dallas extend Lawrence this week and then if (a big IF) we do get Earl in a trade then easier to sign a long term deal but also believe a deal will be worked out with Earl long before a trade goes down and it will be money the Cowboys can live with not a blank check.

NotForLong

Reaction score
I think a 3rd round comp pick is unlikely.

Player contracts that netted a 3rd round comp pick in 2018:
  • All average more than the highest paid NFL Safety.

Only four 3rd round comp picks in 2018:

If the Seahawks keep ET for 2018:
  • They most likely get a 4th round comp pick in the 2020 draft.
  • A 4th round comp pick is basically a 5th round pick.
  • The comp pick comes a year later than a pick acquired in a trade his summer.
  • The Seahawks have been shedding payroll...
  • They'll have to pay ET 8.5M despite wanting to move on from him.
  • ET will be a distraction for the team if he stays without a new contract.

Summary:
The Cowboys 5th round pick in 2019 would be worth more than the likely 4th round comp pick in 2020.

The Cowboys 4th round pick in the 2019 draft would be worth more than the best case 3rd round comp pick in 2020.
How about a 5th and a player like Tapper, Wilson, Frazier or Rod Smith.

I think Jerry smells blood in the water. He's gonna let this play out till the end. Just add up all the factors
1. The Legend of boom is dead,
2. Earl loves the Cowboys actually follows them and he wants to be part of the Renaissance going on in the secondary
3. Richard
4. There's nobody to Riegn Earl in if he becomes disruptive. See above Legion of Boom is Dead

5.Earl could come in after the 3rd preseason game and still led this team. He has effectively run this defense. He would hit the ground running. He would be geeked up playing for his beloved Cowboys. I think the energy he would bring would be infectious, A shot in the arm.

Not to mention the influence he would have with the transition to Richards new scheme. He would help instill the culture and mentality Richard is craves.

I think there's A lot of young talent on this team. If any number of rookies are able to show. A veteran could become expendable. A player Seattle could use.

Jerry could wait until deep into preseason and wait and see how our own roster is planning out.

The longer he waits the lower the price.

I don't want to give up 4th rounder the way this team has been drafting of late

NotForLong

Reaction score
its a bad solution to a horrible problem. ET is not going to be long term. We are not 1 or even 2 seasons away from the SB, how do you justify paying him to play a short time and we get nothing out of it? Just selling his jersey?

Fans like this are why JJ is thrilled. Making money with an average product.
Do you believe the Eagles fans thought they were Super Bowl ready last preseason.

In this watered down league any team can come out of nowhere and win A championship

Earl could realistically be that player that pushes over the top. Especially considering the youth movement going on. It would be like the young pups taking a test with the professor in the room giving them all the answers.

Something Woods Heath and Frazier cannot do because they are also learning.

That alone would advance this defense immediately

kskboys

Reaction score
How about a 5th and a player like Tapper, Wilson, Frazier or Rod Smith.

I think Jerry smells blood in the water. He's gonna let this play out till the end. Just add up all the factors
1. The Legend of boom is dead,
2. Earl loves the Cowboys actually follows them and he wants to be part of the Renaissance going on in the secondary
3. Richard
4. There's nobody to Riegn Earl in if he becomes disruptive. See above Legion of Boom is Dead

5.Earl could come in after the 3rd preseason game and still led this team. He has effectively run this defense. He would hit the ground running. He would be geeked up playing for his beloved Cowboys. I think the energy he would bring would be infectious, A shot in the arm.

Not to mention the influence he would have with the transition to Richards new scheme. He would help instill the culture and mentality Richard is craves.

I think there's A lot of young talent on this team. If any number of rookies are able to show. A veteran could become expendable. A player Seattle could use.

Jerry could wait until deep into preseason and wait and see how our own roster is planning out.

The longer he waits the lower the price.

I don't want to give up 4th rounder the way this team has been drafting of late

Let's see, trade value:

Tapper: Zero
Wilson: 7th maybe for a backup
Frazier: 7th to zero
RSmith: 7th maybe for a backup

Why would you think players you don't value have trade value?

NotForLong

Reaction score
May help the secondary and solidify the position of safety but no guarantee he personally changes any games.
Tomorrows not guaranteed. So no one can argue that, your right my friend.

But in no way did you prove he wouldn't change games. When its apparent that he would. Just adding up the factors the impact he would have in this particular secondary can't be denied. If Richard wasn't here. Totally different scenario. Thomas would be just another talented safety who may or may not succeed here.

But can I give a guarantee no I can not

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
I'm a fan of LVE.

He took care of our #1 weakness on defense and that's a linebacker that can pass cover.

Yep that's the first thing I thought about was the pass coverage in the inside.

Nice.

NotForLong

Reaction score
Let's see, trade value:

Tapper: Zero
Wilson: 7th maybe for a backup
Frazier: 7th to zero
RSmith: 7th maybe for a backup

Why would you think players you don't value have trade value?
I said a package of one of those players and a 5th rd pick instead of a 4th. I have a lot of value in those players but I think the competition at those positions could make one of those players expendable

I believe by Sept. Seattle will be begging for a 4th rd pick which I still think is too high. He only wants to come to the Cowboys which drives down Seattle's negotiating.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Because he walks after this season probably to Dallas as a Free Agent trade him now not only a 3rd Round Comp Pick they
get our 2nd or 3rd Rounder depending what we offer. It makes sense for Seattle.

That part makes sense. But if they think they have a shot to win it all, then trading him makes no sense.

Cowboysfan1975

Reaction score
This is the Kind of move the Eagles have been pulling off the last couple of years. We see how that worked out for them. If you see a guy you want, that will add so much to the team, Stop screwing around and go get the guy. We have been doing a great job drafting, but now we need to some FAs that will put us over the top ET is one of those type of guys

Last edited:

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Yeah but this is the NFL....you don't know how many players you are away until the season is over.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
That part makes sense. But if they think they have a shot to win it all, then trading him makes no sense.
Yeah and while Cowboy fans may think the Seahawks have no shot.....every team feels they do. When all records are 0-0 everyone feels they have a shot. Seahawks may feel having him one more year is worth it.