Video: Broaddus believes Earl will be a Cowboy **merged**

Sydla

Reaction score
Not to mention, safeties don't tend to improve in years 9-12 of their careers. His best days are behind him. It'd be silly for Dallas to reward him for them.

I wouldn't need him to improve. If the Cowboys acquired him, he's easily be the best S on the roster and it wouldn't even be close.

All it comes down to is price IMO. If I can get him for a 3rd rounder or lower, it'd be tough to say no.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
We'll throw high draft picks at ol' Roy Williams but choose to be judicial when it comes to Earl friggin Thomas... (*roll eyes*)
Front office is doing things the complete opposite way that they did when they traded for Roy Williams.

That old front office would have traded a second (or better) to Seattle for Thomas and would be sitting here without a young Williams to man the LG position for the next decade or so.

I don’t know about you, but I definitely don’t want that old front office back. Not one bit.

TruBluSince1982

Reaction score
Front office is doing things the complete opposite way that they did when they traded for Roy Williams.

That old front office would have traded a second (or better) to Seattle for Thomas and would be sitting here without a young Williams to man the LG position for the next decade or so.

I don’t know about you, but I definitely don’t want that old front office back. Not one bit.

Believe it or not I actually do want that old front office back. Just one that is better at "talent evaluation".

Being gunshy because things did not work out in the past is not the "right" answer either. The Eagles, Broncos, Rams...etc haven't been exactly sitting on their hands, and they do have something to show for it.

kevm3

Reaction score
On the other hand we have Jeff Heath, Frazier and Xavier Woods manning the back end. I like what I see out of woods, but he's nowhere near Earl. Maybe if we had an Earl back there, we wouldn't have teams slicing through us to close games, which has been a huge problem with this team... the defense melting down at the end of games. Sometimes you have to put up and get that talent.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Believe it or not I actually do want that old front office back. Just one that is better at "talent evaluation".

Being gunshy because things did not work out in the past is not the "right" answer either. The Eagles, Broncos, Rams...etc haven't been exactly sitting on their hands, and they do have something to show for it.
Alrighty then.

TruBluSince1982

Reaction score
As far as LG Williams yeah I hear ya, but you can look at it this way too, we won't need a high pick safety with that pick we lost for a few years.

Still covers a hole

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
As far as LG Williams yeah I hear ya, but you can look at it this way too, we won't need a high pick safety with that pick we lost for a few years.

Still covers a hole
I understand but Thomas wouldn’t be here for the long term. Four years from now Williams could be getting ready to enter his prime and get a big second contract... Thomas will likely be out of the league by then.

Not to mention that Williams will be cheap for the next four years and ET won’t be.

At any rate, Earl is currently on the downside of his career and I don’t like spending draft resources on players like that.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
In other words, it wasn't the "method" that was the problem..
That method is a problem when you’re wanting to build via the draft.

I understand where you’re coming from, but IMO you can have both.

You want good veterans? Acquire them in veteran free agency and lose no draft assets, not in trades where you give up a premium pick like a second round choice... or heaven forbid what they gave up for Roy Williams / Joey Galloway.

Plus, in free agency you can get guys who aren’t on the backend of their careers like Thomas is.

3rd_n_inches

Reaction score
I think they have been looking to make something happen. It’s to quite

TruBluSince1982

Reaction score
I understand but Thomas wouldn’t be here for the long term. Four years from now Williams could be getting ready to enter his prime and get a big second contract... Thomas will likely be out of the league by then.

Not to mention that Williams will be cheap for the next four years and ET won’t be.

At any rate, Earl is currently on the downside of his career and I don’t like spending draft resources on players like that.

Okay you don't like allocating cap dollars to acquire premium talent to fill holes, and I don't like losing for 20+ years.

Earl is a known commodity, a draft pick, even a high one is not.

We haven't had a player of this pedigree back there in over a decade. Time to make a move bust a move while the iron is hot

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Okay you don't like allocating cap dollars to acquire premium talent to fill holes, and I don't like losing for 20+ years

That isn’t what I said. I don’t like spending draft capital on old players.

Cap dollars on a good, relatively young guy is what I’m advocating. Spend away on the right player... just don’t give up premium picks for old guys when you can buy them in free agency.

I might go for Thomas with a third but honestly, I’m not sure I would. It’s just my philosophy.

DiResta

Reaction score
Not to mention, safeties don't tend to improve in years 9-12 of their careers. His best days are behind him. It'd be silly for Dallas to reward him for them.
these all pro safeties watch film on Dallas secondary they are seeing tons of things they do better
Tyrann Mathieu even said as much and he will never be as good as Earl

8304667.png

Earl knows he is better and i have no doubt he would prove it
the problem is the draft pick

Dallas passed on Weddle and it was a mistake
even if ET started to slow down hes teaching and leading the young secondary

Jipper

Reaction score
That isn’t what I said. I don’t like spending draft capital on old players.

Cap dollars on a good, relatively young guy is what I’m advocating. Spend away on the right player... just don’t give up premium picks for old guys when you can buy them in free agency.

I might go for Thomas with a third but honestly, I’m not sure I would. It’s just my philosophy.

Absolutely agree....a conditional 3rd or a 4th and sign me up

RoboQB

Reaction score
Okay you don't like allocating cap dollars to acquire premium talent to fill holes, and I don't like losing for 20+ years.

Earl is a known commodity, a draft pick, even a high one is not.

We haven't had a player of this pedigree back there in over a decade. Time to make a move bust a move while the iron is hot

I just gotta know, *** is up with that avatar?
You call yourself TruBluSince1982 and throw up that crap!?!

You'd get more respect with the Rowdy pic than that, and nobody likes those guys... lol

Reaction score
I wouldn't need him to improve. If the Cowboys acquired him, he's easily be the best S on the roster and it wouldn't even be close.

All it comes down to is price IMO. If I can get him for a 3rd rounder or lower, it'd be tough to say no.

Absolutely,,, it's a position of need and the guy obviously excels in this secondary coach's system. He'd bring vet leadership back there and be like a coach on the field too. No brainer for a third.