Video: Broaddus believes Earl will be a Cowboy **merged**

sideon

Reaction score
I want lie our cap looks solid and to land the top Safety in the NFL i will be happy with Earl Thomas and don't mind giving a 2nd Rounder because I think the pick will be a low 2nd Rounder. I think Earl might even give us,a hometown discount. I like the fact he's a Cowboy lover and would play his heart out for the Boyz.
:laugh::lmao2::lmao:

Hardline

Reaction score
Another Earl Thomas thread
homer-simpson_00366207.gif

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
I firmly believe the hold up on this deal has nothing to do with the trade. It has much more to do with what the Cowboys would have to pay ET. Not sure they're willing to shell out the long term contract and big up front money for a safety who won't be worth that anymore when he's 35.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
I thought they’d get a 3rd as comp if he walks so that’s why they’d only do it for 2nd+

Earl likely wouldnt be amongst the top 6 in free agency by AAV if signed. So they dont automatically get a late 3rd comp, its unlikely even that they would.

gmoney112

Reaction score
Thomas isn't coming here for less than top 10 S money.

Hes arguably the best FS in the game, I wouldn't expect him to take anything less.

Plenty of cap moving forward, All Pros who are one of the very best at their position is a good way to use space, especially when it wont prevent you from signing your own.

Only thing that concerns me is the pick. If it comes down to a 3rd then it's a no brainer.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
I just read a Rotoworld blurb, and it got me thinking.

-Seattle has apparently made zero progress in extending ET. They don't want to pay him.

-No one in the league was interested in meeting Seattle's asking price for a trade.

-Thomas wanting to play for the Cowboys is about the worst kept secret in pro football.

So Seattle wants him gone, and they're going to lower their asking price to do it. They will still have to be compensated for the "1 year rental" on Thomas they'd be losing, but I wonder if that price could be talked down closer to a 3rd or 4th now rather than the 1st or 2nd they were wanting earlier. And Thomas's desire to play for Dallas will help push away other teams from poking around and driving the trade price upward.

Thoughts?

To come from Seattle hasnt reached a deal with him to saying they dont want to pay him and in the end to state they want him gone is something you have to explain to me once more. You really lost me somewhere in your argumentation chain.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
usa_today_9614342.0.jpg

What do you think ET would actually amount to?

The BTB mailbag is an interesting one, and we always encourage you to send over thoughts you might have (email right here). Our latest question comes to us from Matt in New Jersey.

Playoffs not withstanding, let’s just say the addition of Earl Thomas automatically gives Dallas two extra wins this season. Would you pull the trigger on the trade?

This is a fascinating way to look at the ever-changing and always interesting (in wild ways) Earl Thomas situation with the Cowboys. When his name comes up we imagine him reuniting with Kris Richard and helping mold the other Dallas DBs, but what would his presence literally amount to?

Two wins feels fair. When you look back at last season for example, Thomas likely makes the difference in the losses to the Green Bay Packers and the Los Angeles Rams. Had the Cowboys won two more games they’d have finished 11-5, gotten the second wildcard spot, and traveled to LA to take on the Rams in the wildcard round.

When opening odds to make the playoffs came out this week the Cowboys were given the 16th-best at +145. Most people feel that Dallas is an eight to nine win team already. If Thomas truly did make a difference of two games, you have to pull that trigger.

https://cowboyszone.com/threads/btb...ence-would-earl-thomas-make-in-dallas.408592/

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Earl likely wouldnt be amongst the top 6 in free agency by AAV if signed. So they dont automatically get a late 3rd comp, its unlikely even that they would.
No offense, brother, but you’re out of your mind if you don’t think ET is comanding “top-6” S money by AAV, especially if he hits FA and not part of a sign-and-trade (which happen never in the NFL). He will ask for the brinks truck when he hits FA and some team will give it to him.

He’s looking for his final payday, and unless he falls off a cliff, will get something close to Eric Berry money

T-RO

Reaction score
it should be a 3rd next year and a 4th the following year. getting the 3rd from the cowboys would be a higher pick than the 3rd comp and additional 4th should seal the deal.

This is exactly what I proposed last week in a different thread.

Hawks might not be able to do better than that, given the salary (only one expensive year remaining).

And I still argue that you can make this trade w/out giving him a longterm contract.

For a 1-yr rental I don’t pay any more than a 3 and a 4...and I might not pay even that.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
If Seattle makes Earl available via trade then expect teams within our own division to make offers just to increase what we would have to give up to get Earl.

And risk having the Seahawks accept their offer? :huh:

Contrary to what some here think, the other NFC East teams aren't shaking in their boots over the prospect of Dallas getting Earl Thomas.

T-RO

Reaction score
No offense, brother, but you’re out of your mind if you don’t think ET is comanding “top-6” S money by AAV, especially if he hits FA and not part of a sign-and-trade (which happen never in the NFL). He will ask for the brinks truck when he hits FA and some team will give it to him.

He’s looking for his final payday, and unless he falls off a cliff, will get something close to Eric Berry money

He’ll only get big AAV if he does 2 or 3 year contract...which he and his agent won’t do. It’s a new analytics world and teams aren’t going to give a 30-year old safety a massive long term contract.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
He’ll only get big AAV if he does 2 or 3 year contract...which he and his agent won’t do. It’s a new analytics world and teams aren’t going to give a 30-year old safety a massive long term contract.
We shall see. I think if he hits open market, some team like CLE (if Peppers flames out) or a MIA will back up the truck for him. Teams at the cap floor love signing players such as ET to long contracts.

I do agree that analytics is taking hold of the sports world, re:mega contracts for older stars, but we haven’t seen much evidence in football. I’m talking players of the ET ilk etc

Last edited:

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Not saying the OP is one of those people, but we have fans who act like we're Earl Thomas away from winning the SB while we have no idea what our passing game is even going to look like with all of the new faces.