News: Broaddus on short-term deal for Dak Prescott: 'I think there's something to it'

Sydla

Reaction score
Im not cap expert by any means.

Would that allow us to lower his cap hit? Or would we be stuck with the 38 million hit

Stuck. But they are stuck with a nearly 38 million cap hit anyway with the tag.

Creeper

Reaction score
A 3 year deal could be advantageous to Dallas if they have any doubts about Dak being the franchise QB. Maybe they do. But what does Dak want for 3 years? If he wants $40 million then he is nuts. No one is going to pay him that much on a 3 year deal. Even $35 million a year for 3 years is too much for Dak. If he really wants a 3 years deal he has to come down on the money. If not then I would have to believe he is not really interested in making a deal at all.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
hes starting to look like a bobble head doll....I wonder if he realizes how much this fan base would embrace him if he did a 5 year 35 million dollar deal.

yea there are still going to be people that see that as overpayment but I’d say the majority would feel good with him around that price point.

man I hope jerry doesn’t cave and give him a stupid 40m plus contract
I would forgive his weak play for a deal like that, but will never happen.

Dak_Attack_09

Reaction score
According to this board, nobody has a clue..

Which makes complete sense..bc Jerry and Co are totally known for running a tight ship.

Makes total sense.

I know, Dak is getting tagged and there will be 4+ restructures to existing contracts.

—27 million in free cap space
—40 million additional cap space after restructure

-Amari Cooper
-Zeke Elliot
-Tyrone Smith
- Demarcus Lawerence

thechosen1n2

Reaction score
Would be completely dumb to give him 40+

Maybe 25-28.

He has to understand he needs elite help. Not just good WR's and a good Oline, he's he's type of QB that you need at least 2 number 1s at Wide out, and at least 4 all pro o linemen, with an elite RB.

Silly talk. Dak has performed the past 2 years with the line mediocre, and Zeke hasnt been elite the past 2 years....So if hes the reason for the defense, fumbles, and missed field goals, then youre right.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
What if there's no team willing to pay him just shy of Mahomes money? Then what? That's the only problem I see with tag and trade.
Then maybe Dak finally recognizes that his association with France needs to end, maybe he hires Tad.

csirl

Reaction score
Honestly, depending on the numbers, I'd be OK with a two year deal. 2 years, $76 million, all guaranteed. $38 million a year.

Its not going to be anything near the tag value. No point in doing the deal unless its significantly cheaper.

Watch for language along the lines of ".......could be worth up to.........if targets met.. "

The reality is it will be very heavily incentivised and the incentives will never be met. Will probably have a void for year 2 if a certain number of games/snaps is not achieved.

This will be a face saver for Dak, who will claim to be the highest paid QB (but in reality will have very modest guarantees). JJ can avoid a fuss. So no losers........except the Cowboys, who remain held back for another year.

Shane612

Reaction score
Nah. Let him go.
I've lost interest in this contract talk a couple of months ago.
Dak should have signed the contract offered to him last year, and now, Joneses are indecisive, and Dak is asking MaHomes' money. So, one of them has to go. And Jerry/Stephan isn't going anywhere. So, bye Dak. Good luck in your next endeavor.

Dre11

Reaction score
Nah. Let him go.
I've lost interest in this contract talk a couple of months ago.
Dak should have signed the contract offered to him last year, and now, Joneses are indecisive, and Dak is asking MaHomes' money. So, one of them has to go. And Jerry/Stephan isn't going anywhere. So, bye Dak. Good luck in your next endeavor.

He never asked for Mahomes money and nobody has ever said he did..smh

Flamma

Reaction score
Then maybe Dak finally recognizes that his association with France needs to end, maybe he hires Tad.

No. The best case scenario is either signing Dak long term or letting him walk. Tag and trade has risk unless Dak himself is willing to entertain that option. Dak playing on the tag for one more year with no possibility of being competitive would just be flat out stupid.

Steve007

Reaction score
if they tag dak there will be no free agency only the draft it will hamstring the team and will lead to another 8 and 8 or 7 and 9 type season and if i am dak i am not stepping on the field without a long term deal
They were 8-8 in 2019. If they sign Dak the Cowboys will be 8-8 if they are lucky 10-6. If Dak is tagged he will sign.

JBS

Reaction score
Dude. What is the purpose to have a QB play on your team for one year at 37.7 million? That's what doesn't make any sense.

Yeah, let's roll out Andy dalton again..good plan

DandyDon52

Reaction score
no cuts,

that ridiculously ignorant, you trade him and get high draft pics after he signs the tag,..cutting him is what he wants, you own his rights you let him finally sign the tag and trade his to the worst team for the best packages..after he signs the tag he no longer controls where he goes..so if he pulls this last minute stunt to upset our ability to get his replacement ie plan in this off season FA and Draft, you also play dirty and send him somewhere he wont like..
Well that is the ideal way to get rid of him but it isnt that easy to trade dak, and no team will want him!
Would you want the cowboys to trade 2 firsts for a qb that wants 40+mil a year and a 3 year deal??
I dont think any team is that stupid, but there might be one.
Cowboys may have asked around and got no takers already.

Plus if you tag dak he may wait till june to sign, which further complicates things. He could also refuse to play or sign any trade deal lol,. so
then it would still be ongoing with training camp a month away.
cowboys should be focusing on the draft right now and know if they are going to draft a qb or not.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Well that is the ideal way to get rid of him but it isnt that easy to trade dak, and no team will want him!
Would you want the cowboys to trade 2 firsts for a qb that wants 40+mil a year and a 3 year deal??
I dont think any team is that stupid, but there might be one.
Cowboys may have asked around and got no takers already.

Plus if you tag dak he may wait till june to sign, which further complicates things. He could also refuse to play or sign any trade deal lol,. so
then it would still be ongoing with training camp a month away.
cowboys should be focusing on the draft right now and know if they are going to draft a qb or not.
says you until we actually attempt it so theres that..lets find out before you say NO ONE!

DandyDon52

Reaction score
says you until we actually attempt it so theres that..lets find out before you say NO ONE!
yeah says me lol
first thing is jerry has to tag dak, no telling if or when that happens.
as each day goes by teams will be less interested in dak.

MoistMayonnaise

Devil's Advocate
Reaction score
no-sir-i-dont-like-it.jpg

khiladi

Reaction score
But then Dallas has a 1 year rental for 38 million. That doesn't make sense.

It makes sense for a year got not completely changing the offense and keeping them “competitive”, per the Jones, considering the way this offense is structured, while selling seats in a year surrounded by the economic instability as a result of COVID. The salary cap is going to be less this year than last season.

it also makes sense because Dak’s leg is broken and he isn’t going to be ready until late. You don’t pay a guy multi-millions of dollars for multiple years in such a situation. Is there any precedent for that at all even?