Broaddus:Quinn eyeing Molden

Gaede

Reaction score
No good. Why draft a conversion project at 44 when you can draft Holland who actually plays the position
I'd say these two are similar players, actually. Competitive, ballhawks, who mostly play slot CB. Holland has size and speed over Molden.

I'd prefer Holland to Molden, but both are quality football players who turn the ball over.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
What can you tell us about the actual player on the field..anybody can find his pro day info
SUMMARY: A two-year starter at Washington, Molden played a nickel role in head coach Jimmy Lake’s five-man starting secondary, lining up primarily vs. the slot receiver while also seeing reps as a single-high safety. He was part of a secondary in 2018 with three future draft picks (Byron Murphy, Taylor Rapp, Jordan Miller) before announcing himself as a legitimate NFL prospect as a junior in 2019, leading the team in tackles, passes defended and interceptions. With his reactive athleticism, Molden quickly processes pass/run and stays coordinated in zone and man coverage to make plays on the ball. While scrappy and smart, you wish he were longer and faster to provide the versatility to play outside. Overall, Molden’s lack of ideal size, length and twitch will be a disadvantage at times vs. NFL skill players, but his instincts, competitive nature and read/react skills are tailor-made for a starting nickel role who shouldn’t leave the field (defense or special teams). GRADE: 2nd Round (No. 45 overall) 7.
I think you're right .......

9. JOSEPH OSSAI, TEXAS
PFF BIG BOARD RANK: 60
Ossai only started playing on the line of scrimmage full-time this past season. He’s a bursty, undersized edge who’s still only scratching the surface after earning an 81.1 run-defense grade and 80.5 pass-rushing grade last season.
Think he could play both as a DE or a strong-side LB. More of a high-motor developmental pass rusher.

Gaede

Reaction score
I don't get this board. Year after year we complain that the team prefers Sparq guys to football players. And then a guy like Molden comes along, who is undoubtedly the latter, and we turn our noses up at him

stilltheguru

Reaction score
This is from Dane Brugler:

SUMMARY: A two-year starter at Washington, Molden played a nickel role in head coach Jimmy Lake’s five-man starting secondary, lining up primarily vs. the slot receiver while also seeing reps as a single-high safety. He was part of a secondary in 2018 with three future draft picks (Byron Murphy, Taylor Rapp, Jordan Miller) before announcing himself as a legitimate NFL prospect as a junior in 2019, leading the team in tackles, passes defended and interceptions. With his reactive athleticism, Molden quickly processes pass/run and stays coordinated in zone and man coverage to make plays on the ball. While scrappy and smart, you wish he were longer and faster to provide the versatility to play outside. Overall, Molden’s lack of ideal size, length and twitch will be a disadvantage at times vs. NFL skill players, but his instincts, competitive nature and read/react skills are tailor-made for a starting nickel role who shouldn’t leave the field (defense or special teams). GRADE: 2nd Round (No. 45 overall)
Seeing reps isnt saying he did it enough to matter. Washington games are on youtube as are his game cutups. You tell me how much single high you see.

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
In the 2nd round. Said both coaches and scouts are in. Says Quinn would move him to safety just like he moved Kazee from CB to safety after he was drafted. Other targets at 44 Holland, Ossai, Bolton.

note:draft101 is live right now on 105.3 the fan. Some good nuggets.
Bugger me sideways, take a damn free safety

visionary

Reaction score
I don't get this board. Year after year we complain that the team prefers Sparq guys to football players. And then a guy like Molden comes along, who is undoubtedly the latter, and we turn our noses up at him

yes you clearly don’t get it

there is a difference between saying

you shouldn’t just take better Sparq players who haven’t produced over players who have actually produced at the position

and saying

you should not take a player to change his position when he has actual physical deficiencies over another player who has actually produced at that position and does not have the same physical deficiencies , esp with a premium draft pick

if you can’t see that obvious difference then, yes, you don’t get it

Gaede

Reaction score
yes you clearly don’t get it

there is a difference between saying

you shouldn’t just take better Sparq players who haven’t produced over players who have actually produced at the position

and saying

you should not take a player to change his position when he has actual physical deficiencies over another player who has actually produced at that position and does not have the same physical deficiencies , esp with a premium draft pick

if you can’t see that obvious difference then, yes, you don’t get it

Most 'experts' have been projecting Molden to safety. This isn't some newfangled, out of left field idea. Dudes either a slot CB or a safety. Two months ago before this all started, ppl were raving about Molden, saying he'd go late first. But a ball hawk, hard hitting football player is out fashion right now I guess.

The only legit safety prospect in this draft is Moehrig and we likely won't have a shot at him. What else are we supposed to do? Take players we don't like because they have the position next to their name?

Carson

Reaction score
It’s pretty simple actually.

Molden is more of the same. Tweener type, is best in the slot (already have Brown and Lewis) and has limited snaps at single high.

Don’t get it wrong, I like Molden as a player. But he’s more of the same. Instead of getting a true free safety we get the guy who may not be best suited to play FS

Aven8

Reaction score

Because these position switches have burned us in the past so many times. Byron, Stainback, etc etc....

Gaede

Reaction score
It’s pretty simple actually.

Molden is more of the same. Tweener type, is best in the slot (already have Brown and Lewis) and has limited snaps at single high.

Don’t get it wrong, I like Molden as a player. But he’s more of the same. Instead of getting a true free safety we get the guy who may not be best suited to play FS

I get it. But that guy doesn't exist in this draft, outside of Moehrig.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
In the 2nd round. Said both coaches and scouts are in. Says Quinn would move him to safety just like he moved Kazee from CB to safety after he was drafted. Other targets at 44 Holland, Ossai, Bolton.

note:draft101 is live right now on 105.3 the fan. Some good nuggets.
Holy crap... that’s what I’ve been hoping they would do, but I didn’t think they would. He has great instincts and ball skills. He’d be a terrific prospect to move to FS.

‘I’ve been saying since the end of the season that Molden reminds me of Budda Baker... and not because they went to the same school.

Shake_Tiller

Reaction score
Let's see... Darren Woodson was a college LB. Mel Renfro and Cornell Green both played CB and S for the Cowboys. Ray Horton played both. So did Thomas Everett. Charlie Waters played QB in college and tried CB before settling at S with the Cowboys. Kazee, the new FA, was a CB in college. Ronnie Lott played both. So did Charles Woodson. We could take this ad nauseam.

Molden would be a fine choice to play safety, and depending on offensive personnel, most safeties are schemed into the slot at times.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Barf.

Holland is the only one of that group I'd want at #44.

Molden is a 3rd round prospect at best IMO. He's limited to nickel and slot.....and spare me the "his instincts tho" comments. He's small, slow, and short playing against alpha athletes and 6'-2"+ receivers that run 4.4s.

Elijah Molden NFL Draft Overview

Position: Cornerback
Height: 5-foot-9 ½”
Weight: 192 pounds
Arms: 29 ½”
Hands: 9 ½”
School: Washington

Pro Day Performance Results
40-yard dash: 4.59
Vertical: 36.5”
Broad: 125”
Bench press: 13 reps
This tells me Quinn absolutely SUCKS when it comes to player personnel decisions. Look at what he did in Atlanta? His defenses absolutely SUCKED, and now he's bringing his SUCKY decisions to Dallas.

Enjoy (not towards you, CPT). Let's see the fools who glorify this mental midget of a DC.