Broaddus:Quinn eyeing Molden

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Run stoppers can be had later in the draft. I completely agree we need but I have no issue with shopping other positions early.

Exactly.. You don’t waste premium picks on run stuffers.

Creeper

Reaction score
Barf.

Holland is the only one of that group I'd want at #44.

Molden is a 3rd round prospect at best IMO. He's limited to nickel and slot.....and spare me the "his instincts tho" comments. He's small, slow, and short playing against alpha athletes and 6'-2"+ receivers that run 4.4s.

Elijah Molden NFL Draft Overview

Position: Cornerback
Height: 5-foot-9 ½”
Weight: 192 pounds
Arms: 29 ½”
Hands: 9 ½”
School: Washington

Pro Day Performance Results
40-yard dash: 4.59
Vertical: 36.5”
Broad: 125”
Bench press: 13 reps

I agree with most of this but Antoine Winfield is only 5'9" and a lot of people on this board were high on him last year. He was drafted in the 2nd round, #45, and had a pretty good year for the Bucs. Winfield ran a 4.45 at the combine, but his vertical and broad jump were about the same as Molden's (36, 124). I am not defending a pick of Molden. I think it would be a terrible choice, especially to move him to safety. But maybe they are comparing him to Winfield.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Let's take each players four years Winfield had 9 and Molden had 5 and Johnson had 7 ints in three seasons. I didn't say I don't like him I just don't like him at 44. Not counting players that may fall to 44 there are about 20 players I like better with our second round pick.
It's not an apples to apples comparison, where Winfield played all his snaps at safety and Molden played majority as a slot corner. Safeties typically get more chances to make plays on the football then an inside corner.

morasp

Reaction score
It's not an apples to apples comparison, where Winfield played all his snaps at safety and Molden played majority as a slot corner. Safeties typically get more chances to make plays on the football then an inside corner.
I'm talked out. It's fun to have discussions about the draft with other fans but in the end like for the last 25 years it's up to our FO to build a championship team.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If we were to go Horn/Surtain and Molden/Holland, I would absolutely expect a trade up from round 3 for a DL like Turner.
Wouldn't shock me to see them move back into round 2 for a targeted DL. Ive seen consolidation of picks alluded to with media types recently.

For kicks and gigs, both 3rds get us to 58. Or 3rd and 4th (non comps) get us to 63

Proof

Reaction score
Holy crap... that’s what I’ve been hoping they would do, but I didn’t think they would. He has great instincts and ball skills. He’d be a terrific prospect to move to FS.

‘I’ve been saying since the end of the season that Molden reminds me of Budda Baker... and not because they went to the same school.

All I need to hear.

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I'm talked out. It's fun to have discussions about the draft with other fans but in the end like for the last 25 years it's up to our FO to build a championship team.
How's that worked out? And here we are again talking about position changes...go figure

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Good healthy discussion with two different view points. Time will tell where he gets picked and how he plays in this league

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
His athletic scores are quite embarrassing in all honesty. I like his instincts but it's highly doubtful that in the NFL instincts can make up for that much poor athletic prowess. It's not like his 10 yard split is great over a short distance either.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I agree with most of this but Antoine Winfield is only 5'9" and a lot of people on this board were high on him last year. He was drafted in the 2nd round, #45, and had a pretty good year for the Bucs. Winfield ran a 4.45 at the combine, but his vertical and broad jump were about the same as Molden's (36, 124). I am not defending a pick of Molden. I think it would be a terrible choice, especially to move him to safety. But maybe they are comparing him to Winfield.

I think the difference is 1) Winfield played exclusively at safety throughout college; 2) has a slightly bigger/longer stature; and 3) the requisite speed to play the position (4.45 @ Combine)

Molden may have seen some limited snaps at safety, but if you watch the game cutups he was used primarily at slot which makes sense because it suits his strong points. Molden is good playing underneath and making plays in space in front of him. He's also a good tackler. That said, if he's forced to cover ground and beat a receiver to a spot like he would be required to do playing single-high he's going to be in trouble.

I'm not saying he's an undraftable prospect, but I would argue vehemently that he's not the 44th best player in the draft which is basically the scenario being discussed in this thread.

*I'm also seeing Molden's Pro Day time coming up as 4.62 in other publications.

Creeper

Reaction score
I think the difference is 1) Winfield played exclusively at safety throughout college; 2) has a slightly bigger/longer stature; and 3) the requisite speed to play the position (4.45 @ Combine)

Molden may have seen some limited snaps at safety, but if you watch the game cutups he was used primarily at slot which makes sense because it suits his strong points. Molden is good playing underneath and making plays in space in front of him. He's also a good tackler. That said, if he's forced to cover ground and beat a receiver to a spot like he would be required to do playing single-high he's going to be in trouble.

I'm not saying he's an undraftable prospect, but I would argue vehemently that he's not the 44th best player in the draft which is basically the scenario being discussed in this thread.

*I'm also seeing Molden's Pro Day time coming up as 4.62 in other publications.

Yes, I have Molden with a 4.62 40 as well, which in my book is slow for a safety.

SportsGuru80

CowboysYanksLakers
Reaction score
Honestly I don't care who it is as long has he is a ballhawk and loves football.

Verdammung

Reaction score
I like him & have a good grade on him. That being said, it only makes a little sense to me. If you're talking about drafting him to play corner, he's a slot exclusive & you just paid Jordan Lewis & Anthony Brown; you need outside corners. If you buy him at free safety (which might work), are you telling me Moehrig, Grant, & Holland are all off the board by #44 and the prospect of converting him is more valuable than investing in LB or DL?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
If the Cowboys can sit here and say who they'd draft at #44 without even knowing who will actually falls to them tells me they are doing this wrong if this is true. So a 1st round prospect falls to them at 44 they'd pass him up because they want Molden?