Broaddus:Quinn eyeing Molden

Cowboyny

Reaction score
And Lamb wasn't going to there at our first pick and Diggs wasn't going to be there at our second go figure. They both had starter grades and they both ended up starting. Good teams let the draft come to them. Bottom line is we've really limited our options for BPA with our first two picks by not adequately replacing Chido and Woods and now they may have to reach for players. Most of these sites follow the masses and you end up with peanut butter rankings. NFL isn't afraid to rank them the way the see them. Tackling can be coached instincts can't, and Earl Thomas wasn't a tackling machine for the Seahawks.. For the record I would be thrilled with Johnson at 75.
It wouldn't surprise me if Johnson ends up being a day 3 pick. By the way, Molden is one of the most instinctive players in the entire class.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Most 'experts' have been projecting Molden to safety. This isn't some newfangled, out of left field idea. Dudes either a slot CB or a safety. Two months ago before this all started, ppl were raving about Molden, saying he'd go late first. But a ball hawk, hard hitting football player is out fashion right now I guess.

The only legit safety prospect in this draft is Moehrig and we likely won't have a shot at him. What else are we supposed to do? Take players we don't like because they have the position next to their name?
Imo any of Moehrig, Holland, Molden or Grant would be great additions

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I don't get this board. Year after year we complain that the team prefers Sparq guys to football players. And then a guy like Molden comes along, who is undoubtedly the latter, and we turn our noses up at him
So true that it blows the mind.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Looks like there is a possibility we draft legacy DB's in the 1st and 2nd. Ive noticed these guys dont bust

Gaede

Reaction score
Looks like there is a possibility we draft legacy DB's in the 1st and 2nd. Ive noticed these guys dont bust

If we were to go Horn/Surtain and Molden/Holland, I would absolutely expect a trade up from round 3 for a DL like Turner.

Last edited:

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Only a few days from the draft and I think there is a real argument for taking three db/lb ers with first three picks. Improve second and third levels of our defense and not reach for interior DL as it appears to be thin at the top.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
In the 2nd round. Said both coaches and scouts are in. Says Quinn would move him to safety just like he moved Kazee from CB to safety after he was drafted. Other targets at 44 Holland, Ossai, Bolton.

note:draft101 is live right now on 105.3 the fan. Some good nuggets.
YUCK! WE NEED DEFENSIVE LINEMAN!!!!

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Two corners in the first two rounds? Risen might turn in his fan card. Hope those two are real good at covering and tackling because with the trash in front of them it will be a necessity.
It's pathetic if they go this route. It's so obvious why this team has been bad on defense. Nothing has changed since the playoff loss to the Rams who gashed this defense. Then go back to Baltimore running all over us and many other teams. When that happens you don't stand a chance to win. It's a helpless feeling when a team runs all over you.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Quinn doesn't need to have a say in this the same way Roddle did. You take the best player available offense or defense.
Cowboys always give weight to their coaches, not just Marinelli.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
It's pathetic if they go this route. It's so obvious why this team has been bad on defense. Nothing has changed since the playoff loss to the Rams who gashed this defense. Then go back to Baltimore running all over us and many other teams. When that happens you don't stand a chance to win. It's a helpless feeling when a team runs all over you.
Run stoppers can be had later in the draft. I completely agree we need but I have no issue with shopping other positions early.

morasp

Reaction score
It wouldn't surprise me if Johnson ends up being a day 3 pick. By the way, Molden is one of the most instinctive players in the entire class.
I mentioned that earlier but he's also slow. His instincts would have to overcome a lot to have the range to play single high. NFL actually had a second round starting grade on him until his pro day. Winfield ran a 4.45 forty at the combine and had 7 ints his senior year, Molden had 1.

Antoine Winfield Jr. Draft and Combine Prospect Profile | NFL.com

Footnote:
Johnson had a starting grade but dropped. I just looked up his pro day and his 40 was also 4.58 so that's probably why. Between the two I wouldn't mind either with Molden getting the nod for Football IQ/Instincts.

Last edited:

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Its funny now that Broadus mentions this guys name people jump on him as a good fit but not once on this board have I see him mentioned as a fit or a good projection to move from slot to fs.

This stinks of a coach thinking he knows better and trying to be smarter than the rest.
This guy is a SLOT CB, if we want one of those to move to fs then do it with Jourdan Lewis who you just resigned.

DRAFT A DAMN FREE SAFETY

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I mentioned that earlier but he's also slow. His instincts would have to overcome a lot to have the range to play single high. NFL actually had a second round starting grade on him until his pro day. Winfield ran a 4.45 forty at the combine and had 7 ints his senior year, Molden had 1.

Antoine Winfield Jr. Draft and Combine Prospect Profile | NFL.com
C'mon you can't use last yr for Molden cause he only played 4 games. Winfield played 4 games as a Soph/Jr and had a total of 1 Interception. I get it, you don't like the player.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Molden is my top candidate to be this year's Antoine Winfield Jr., a second-rounder in 2020 who is coming off a sensational rookie season that culminated in a Super Bowl victory. I viewed Winfield as a player in the Tyrann Mathieu mold because of his instincts and the willingness to do it all -- tackle, cover, play in the slot or deep at safety. Molden is just like Winfield: The son of a former NFL player who was raised in the game and displays the same type of instincts. I think he's an automatic starter at nickel back no matter where he's drafted. From NFL.com

morasp

Reaction score
C'mon you can't use last yr for Molden cause he only played 4 games. Winfield played 4 games as a Soph/Jr and had a total of 1 Interception. I get it, you don't like the player.
Let's take each players four years Winfield had 9 and Molden had 5 and Johnson had 7 ints in three seasons. I didn't say I don't like him I just don't like him at 44. Not counting players that may fall to 44 there are about 20 players I like better with our second round pick.

Last edited:

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
Who do you think is better instinct-wise between him and Washington of TCU?

fivetwos

Reaction score
Its funny now that Broadus mentions this guys name people jump on him as a good fit but not once on this board have I see him mentioned as a fit or a good projection to move from slot to fs.

This stinks of a coach thinking he knows better and trying to be smarter than the rest.
This guy is a SLOT CB, if we want one of those to move to fs then do it with Jourdan Lewis who you just resigned.

DRAFT A DAMN FREE SAFETY
Ever notice that of all the options to fix free safety, drafting one never seems to be at the top of the list of solutions?

Same movie, different season.