Broaddus: What We’re Looking For Here At Senior Bowl (4 Players Named)

supercowboy8

Reaction score
Big ten is absolutely a power house for offensive lineman....besides the obvious SEC you aren't going to find better o lineman else where, especially interior o lineman.

But I'm not going going to try and argue with you over this. You clearly have your mind made up on Donald and aren't going to have a reasonable conversation on anything besides him being the next Reggie White. I hope we get Donald, just not as a top 30 pick.

That's fine. No not the next Reggie white or Warren sapp. I just think he is the best player for the 3 tech in this scheme that's in this draft. He has everything. It's just the stuff people are saying is not true.

tm1119

Reaction score
Not sure what point you are trying to make here really.

He was playing DE as you mention. That's exactly what Hatcher played and had his sack total miserably reduced as well.

Crawford is a 6'4" 280-285 pound guy. He isn't a 1 tech man. He just isn't.

Not even close to a 1 tech really. Would be an absolute waste of a very athletic d lineman to put Crawford at 1 tech. Crawford is a DE who could slide inside on obvious passing downs because he does have a large frame, but strongside DE is obviously the best spot for him.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
That's fine. No not the next Reggie white or Warren sapp. I just think he is the best player for the 3 tech in this scheme that's in this draft. He has everything. It's just the stuff people are saying is not true.

You could very well be correct about him being the best 3T out of this draft.
That still may make him VERY passable at 16.
We passed Floyd who is probably a better player because this Defensive staff doesn't value run stopping DTs that highly.

I suggest you are setting yourself up to be very disappointed if you looks at 310+ pound guys in this draft before day 3.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I dont think Dallas really plays a 1tech. If they want a guy to get up the field and solid vs the run to play that 1tech style player then Crawford is best suited, I go by what Broaddus says that he's been hearing around VR. This was talked about a couple weeks back. Some people say they are just radio guys but they have ears and they report what they hear. Just like he heard that if Kiffin was gone Eberflus would be the DC. Hatcher be disliked in the lockeroom.

These guys get alot of inside info.

Broaddus had a brain fart and referred to Hatcher as playing the 1-tech this past season. I think he might have made the same mistake when he said Crawford was projected to 1-tech.

supercowboy8

Reaction score
We passed Floyd who is probably a better player because this Defensive staff doesn't value run stopping DTs that highly.

I suggest you are setting yourself up to be very disappointed if you looks at 310+ pound guys in this draft before day 3.

Nope. I disagree. I like some over 300 pounds DTs. Daquan Jones is one. Marinelli didn't want Floyd because he didn't have good pass rush moves. Same reason why he won't like Hageman.

Just agree to disagree on this one I guess.

tm1119

Reaction score

What happens when this defensive staff is working else where next year? I realize you're just the messenger, but I hope Jerry is smart enough to draft the most talented front 7 players available and not just guys that fit Marenelli's scheme.

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
My point is the SDE is similar to the duties of the 1tech. They hold up and fill that space and their first priority is to play the run. But Marinelli doesnt play a traditional 1tech and 3tech. He wants guys to get up the field. You dont think Crawford will have more success playing inside with a shorter line to the QB then trying to rush the outside? What did Crawford weigh his rookie yr? 298 there i told you. Just to get it thru your head.

Hate to chime in and bust on this, however - the reason Ceawford was beefed up his rookie year was because he was playing a DE in the 3-4 line up. Different totally to a DE in a 4-3, so he was told in the off-season last year to drop some weight. Which he did, down to 285 or so. I also see him as a SDE in this scheme. Yes he will be a bigger version of Spencer, run stopper with some plus rush moves on the strong side. I would think him and Selvie will go into camp fighting for the starting job. Unless we pick up a DE in the draft. Like most others here, would love to get some combination of Donald at the 3-tech and a bit bigger body for the 1-tech. Where this would all go to hell is if they drafted someone like Ealy inthe first, then all bets are off as to who plays where. Hope not, but it is very early yet.

supercowboy8

Reaction score
What happens when this defensive staff is working else where next year. I realize you're just the messenger, but I hope Jerry is smart enough to draft the most talented front 7 players available and not just guys that fit Marenelli's scheme.

If you don't draft players for the coaches scheme then coaches are always going to be gone.

Also what if Donald is the best DL on the board when they pick? Which I think he is.

yentl911

Reaction score
If Lynch was all that he should have been dominate at UCF.

When he had a decent supporting cast around him at ND he was a beast. He has limited talent around him last year and teams were able to throw some more bodies at him. I think it is as simple as that to be honest.

supercowboy8

Reaction score
When he had a decent supporting cast around him at ND he was a beast. He has limited talent around him last year and teams were able to throw some more bodies at him. I think it is as simple as that to be honest.

I agree but he is very raw and I would rather get a more proven player in the first 2 or 3 rounds. This team needs player that can play now. 3-4 th round I would be OK with drafting him. He has the potential.

tm1119

Reaction score
If you don't draft players for the coaches scheme then coaches are always going to be gone.

Also what if Donald is the best DL on the board when they pick? Which I think he is.

I'm a perfect world where you have an established coaching staff with security then you have a point. But here in reality can you say with any kind of certainty that any coach on our staff will be back?

And it's still early, but we'll agree to disagree on Donald being BPA at 16. Seems like a pretty big long shot at this point.

supercowboy8

Reaction score
I'm a perfect world where you have an established coaching staff with security then you have a point. But here in reality can you say with any kind of certainty that any coach on our staff will be back?

And it's still early, but we'll agree to disagree on Donald being BPA at 16. Seems like a pretty big long shot at this point.

To each his own. To me his is top 20 and there will be some players at positions where we don't need such a early pick or players that don't fit. Why draft players if they don't fit your scheme and help the team.

tm1119

Reaction score
To each his own. To me his is top 20 and there will be some players at positions where we don't need such a early pick or players that don't fit. Why draft players if they don't fit your scheme and help the team.

What top 20, or 50 for that matter, front 7 players players are you implying wouldn't help our team? If you're saying we shouldn't draft a guy like McCullers in the 3rd that's 1 thing, but not drafting a guy like Louis Nix because Marenelli doesn't like big DT's is flat out dumb in my opinion. Take guys that are just flat out the most talented and make it work from there. Trying to fit niche guys into 1 system is a good way to get yourself in trouble. Especially with the entire franchise in limbo

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
LOL, this time last week CBSsports.com had Donald listed around the 60th ranked player in the draft. After 1 day of Senior Bowl practices, they now have him listed at 36th.

He's going to continue to rise towards the top half of round 1.

supercowboy8

Reaction score
What top 20, or 50 for that matter, front 7 players players are you implying wouldn't help our team? If you're saying we shouldn't draft a guy like McCullers in the 3rd that's 1 thing, but not drafting a guy like Louis Nix because Marenelli doesn't like big DT's is flat out dumb in my opinion. Take guys that are just flat out the most talented and make it work from there. Trying to fit niche guys into 1 system is a good way to get yourself in trouble. Especially with the entire franchise in limbo

Yes that's it. Why bring Nix in if he isn't going to help. That's stupid to draft a player that's going to hurt the team. I Trust Marinelli alot more than you. That's just my opinion. Also I don't have Hageman in the top 20.

Franchise in limbo? Jerry isn't going anywhere. You can bring in different coaches that run a similar scheme.

tm1119

Reaction score
Yes that's it. Why bring Nix in if he isn't going to help. That's stupid to draft a player that's going to hurt the team. I Trust Marinelli alot more than you. That's just my opinion. Also I don't have Hageman in the top 20.

Franchise in limbo? Jerry isn't going anywhere. You can bring in different coaches that run a similar scheme.

Lol Louis Nix is going to hurt the team now???? Absolutely ridiculous. And when did Mareneli, the d line coach, become so infallible genius? We are supposed to draft his needs now?

supercowboy8

Reaction score
Lol Louis Nix is going to hurt the team now???? Absolutely ridiculous. And when did Mareneli, the d line coach, become so infallible genius? We are supposed to draft his needs now?

And when did you? I'm fine drafting other areas but you said dline. Nix would hurt this team when you compare him to what another player would do at the 1 tech. Nix would be an upgrade over Hayden but there could be another player that's an upgrade over Nix as a one tech in this scheme.

We didn't draft Floyd last year because Marinelli didn't like his pass rush moves for a 3 tech. That's our scheme. He knows more than you about it. What did Floyd do last year compared to what Frederick and Williams did for us. Floyd wouldn't have even started over Hatcher.

supercowboy8

Reaction score
The point of the draft is to get the best player for your team not just the best generic football player. That's why every draft board is different. Sorry but the front office doesn't just go to your favorite draft site and go by there rankings. They set the board up for their team and they will leave players off the board that doesn't fit their scheme. Just the way it is.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I have not really started breaking down the DTs yet but based on what I have seen this year, I don't really see the explosion with Hageman. I too think he is either a Power NT in a 34 or a 1 or 0 DT in a 43. On Aaron Donald, whom ever said John Randle, that might be a good comparison.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
What happens when this defensive staff is working else where next year? I realize you're just the messenger, but I hope Jerry is smart enough to draft the most talented front 7 players available and not just guys that fit Marenelli's scheme.

yup just preaching the obvious message.

parcells liked spears more than ware because of how heavily he valued size.
each group is a little different.

if the defensive system changes next year we'll see a very different approach probably.
but bet this draft looks a lot like a marinelli-influenced group.

it is an interesting question tho... what if floyd were sitting there this year....