Broadus thinks Vander Esch will be the pick

Sydla

Reaction score
Jewell seems like a 2 down player.

If he can master the game like Sean LEe then maybe he can position himself quicker that way but I don't want him until the 3rd.

Which frankly, we can live with a 2 down MIKE if they follow through with the idea of letting Smith play SAM but also stay on the field as the nickel backer with Lee.

So if he's there in the 4th, I don't have an issue with it. But I won't spend a Top 3 round pick on a guy that might only be a two down LB.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Which frankly, we can live with a 2 down MIKE if they follow through with the idea of letting Smith play SAM but also stay on the field as the nickel backer with Lee.

So if he's there in the 4th, I don't have an issue with it. But I won't spend a Top 3 round pick on a guy that might only be a two down LB.

And I don't like Jaylon Smith on the field in passing situations unless he is rushing the QB.

That is why I like LVE or Roquan. We need linebackers that can cover and I think they will both do that.

I just think LVE could be the total package in time and I think Roquan will be a guy that needs to stay clean to make an impact.

Sydla

Reaction score
And I don't like Jaylon Smith on the field in passing situations unless he is rushing the QB.

That is why I like LVE or Roquan. We need linebackers that can cover and I think they will both do that.

I just think LVE could be the total package in time and I think Roquan will be a guy that needs to stay clean to make an impact.

I think people are overvaluing LVE because he's turned into a combine freak of sorts.

If Smith is healthy, which obviously is a big if, he's a more talented LB than LVE. Smith had no issues covering at ND when healthy, again, a big if.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Considering the Cowboys drafted Charlton in the first round and he was said to be a "project", wouldn't be surprised at this pick.

I at least like his size, tired of the Cowboys playing 235 lb. guys at Mike, I remember R. McClain at 255 doing a good job of stopping runs up the middle...
You are correct. This most likely will happen. I think it would be a huge mistake. It's obvious the Steelers and several late 1st round teams are interested in Vander Esch. I say trade down into the late 1st round while picking up an extra 3rd or 4th rounder. Use that late 1st round traded down pick to pick up OG Will Hernandez from UTEP. He would definitely start at Left Guard and solidify the starting Oline for years to come. Plus, drafting him in the 1st round would give the Cowboys the ability to sign him to a 5 year rookie contract. A WIN/WIN situation.

Use the 2nd round pick to draft 1-tech hidden gem of a beast in DT Nathan Shepherd from Fort Hays State in Kansas. Shepherd, 6'4", 315 lbs, is an aggressive, strong and powerful interior Dlineman who would solidify our interior Dline and finally help clog up the inside against the run while capable of bringing inside pressure against the pass.

Drafting both OG Will Hernandez and DT Nathan Shepherd would absolutely improve and solidify our trenches for years to come.

Then use their remaining picks:
  • 3rd round | 81st overall
  • 4th round | 116th overall
  • 4th round | 137th overall (compensatory)
  • 5th round | 171st overall (compensatory)
  • 6th round | 193rd overall
  • 6th round | 208th overall (compensatory)
  • 7th round | 236th overall
...along with a potential extra 3rd or 4th rounder pickup during their 1st round trade down to address S, MLB, WR, TE and any other spots they deem as needed.

CACowboy714

Reaction score
I wasn't to high on LVE initially but he's grown on me. I prefer Evans or James at 19 but if he's the pick I'm good with that.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree. Crawford was a fine pick/production from where he was drafted.
Just didn't include him cause I didn't want discuss to shift to his contract which it seems to do at times and take the thread possibly ot

Yep, right into the ditch.

Still, I get a good feeling about any Boise guy, since we've had good luck there recently.

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score

You don’t like Jaylon covering but trust LVE?

????????

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
You don’t like Jaylon covering but trust LVE?

????????

I don't trust LVE but I trust his ability in space more then Jaylons.

Anything Jaylon gives us is a bonus. I act like he and Lee aren't even on the team because I don't trust Jaylon to ever reach his true form and I don't trust Lee to stay healthy.

DiResta

Reaction score
I don't trust LVE but I trust his ability in space more then Jaylons.

Anything Jaylon gives us is a bonus. I act like he and Lee aren't even on the team because I don't trust Jaylon to ever reach his true form and I don't trust Lee to stay healthy.
everybody has their opinion on this years picks but there are plenty of people who believe VanderEsch will be one of the better players
i definitely dont agree with all the stuff i read but the fact that its all over the place is proof that its all just speculation right now

we should be sure to mark these threads so we can revisit a year or two from now when hes the center of Pittsburgs defense

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

DiResta

Reaction score
I know he's a gamble but i'll take it.

Freak athlete and a productive football player with limited playing time. His best football is in front of him. He's still a child.
hes a great fit for Dallas at mike with Lee and Smith being the alternatives
we cant expect Lee to stay on the field all year, it is what it is. i dont blame the guy hell he cost himself millions and all kinds of accolades just because of injuries.
ill be honest if there was a beast of a lb this year like a Foster (no injuries or red flags) or a Kuechly a lock for great starter Vander Esch and Evans would be mid to late 2nd round and Roquan would be a late 1st imo
but they are the best in this draft so...
best case Dallas trades back a few and grabs a starter before the Steelers

i do believe the guy will be a great player though
cant deny he is still a player that would need to adjust to nfl speed and refine many parts of his game
the foundation is there i would go for it

Jumbo075

Reaction score
He'll be around in the 2nd round. People overrate Jewell.

Jewell will be there in the 3rd or 4th.

The guy racked up tackles but he also got exposed at times. Watch that PSU game and watch Barkley make him look silly in the passing game. People look at the stat line and see he had a crap ton of tackles but if you watched the game, he really had his issues on passing plays and when he was in space.

I wouldn't mind him as our two down thumper at MIKE, but I wouldn't take him before the 4th.

Jewell is slow. 4th round player, IMO.

cowboyec

Reaction score
LVE is more than just a combine warrior....he was getting hype BEFORE his work-out.

This isnt Mike Mamula....someone no body heard of before the combine....has a great work-out then vaults into high 1st Rd pick.

Lots of draft folks were talkin' bout LVE in mid-to late 1st Rd area BEFORE the combine.

why????
tape.

the eye in the sky dont lie.
LVE is a good player.
this aint mike mamula.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
The cliche is true, that it only takes one team to believe in a guy to get him picked high, but I think Vander Esch is being way overrated. He's a mid-2nd round guy at best, IMO. That's not necessarily a bad thing. Bobby Wagner was a mid-2nd round player also. But the risk is too high on Vander Esch to pick him at #19 IMO.

jblaze2004

Reaction score
we do need more speed at Linebacker. Tired of seeing QB's out run our linebackers to the first down marker lol

sbark

Reaction score
I wasn't to high on LVE initially but he's grown on me. I prefer Evans or James at 19 but if he's the pick I'm good with that.
I'm the opposite, watched vid where he really let Lineman get into his body, in the NFL that spells pancake.

I'm growing on Bama LB Evans.........not sure about his coverage skills, but I see some S.Lee in him the way he shoots gaps and gets to runners behind the LOS, he comes flying thru there running downhill like a spear. Have Bama' Lb'rs shed the nfl miss tag?

john

Reaction score
The reason I think the will pick LVE is Marinelli sees him as Urlacher. What he was able to do with Urlacher , I betcha Marinelli is envisioning the same.