Sean Lee: 4.60 forty (Pro-day)
Jaylon Smith: Apparently runs in the 4.5's
Jeff Heath: 4.48 forty (Pro-day)
Chidobe Awuzie: 4.43 (Combine)
Byron Jones: 4.40 (Pro day)
Xavier Woods: 4.54 (Combine)
Kavon Fraizer: 4.48 (Pro day)
Jordan Lewis: 4.54 (Combine)

So we're not exactly slugs on the defensive side of the ball. And I'd agree with you that the bench press figure is a bit irrelevant but show me some plays where Vander Esch uses his length to hold off linemen or a TE and make a tackle. He can make a tackle in space and blitz okay, but I want our MIKE to get off blocks and clear a path to keep Lee and Jaylon clean. Vander Esch does not do this.
Exactly.

JBond

Reaction score
I think they want 19 to be a LB
Sure wouldn’t be my first LB choice but could be a solid player though kinda raw for 19
They shouldn't want it to be anything. This team is thin enough the they need to go truly BPA.

JBond

Reaction score
So you're happy to take a RB at 19? I'm not!

My point is we should not be locked into LB, S, or any particular position. We have forced 1st round picks way too many times to fit a claimed need, when in reality we had many needs and passed on better players.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Has Diva written all over him.

DRGvH82UEAIa-yz.jpg

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Yes...let's cherry pick some plays from his second start to dump on a guy. Obviously you don't think a guy can improve. Go watch the BSU bowl game...:rolleyes:
Check out LVE's performance last year against 1-4 BYU. Yuck!

This is what you're willing to use a 1st round pick on? Talk about another Taco Charlton project waste of a 1st round pick. 1st round picks are supposed to be Day 1 starters, not 4-5 year projects!

Now I've shown you 2 games of him looking 'meh'. Want me to show you more games? Remember, he had never started until this last 2017 season. I wonder why?

dfense

Reaction score
If we did I'd want to wait and get one later. I really enjoyed watching Josey Jewell play and would love him on the team.
yup. I'd take production over how many cones a guy can run around fast. Jewell has a LB's instincts. Might be around in the second round.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
yup. I'd take production over how many cones a guy can run around fast. Jewell has a LB's instincts. Might be around in the second round.

I saw probably 3 random Iowa games this year and all I could think was “how does that guy not have a concussion” and “why is he in every play, is that 28 tackles?” Some people just have instincts

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Not that Tony Pauline is the end-all-be-all, but if they want Vander Carpenter, they may have to trade up for him.
Team boards are rounding into final shape, especially at the top. So how do some teams view the top 15 prospects?

In conversations last week, the day before Josh Allen had his pro-day workout, a team picking in the top 15 -- who shall remained unnamed -- shared the order of top 15 players on its board. It went like this:

1 - Sam Darnold/QB/USC

2 - Josh Allen/QB/Wyoming

3 - Josh Rosen/QB/UCLA

4 - Bradley Chubb/DL/North Carolina State

5 - Saquon Barkley/RB/Penn State

6 - Quenton Nelson/G/Notre Dame

7 - Minkah Fitzpatrick/DB/Alabama

8 - Denzel Ward/CB/Ohio State

9 - Tremaine Edmunds/LB/Virginia Tech

10 - Roquan Smith/LB/Georgia

11 - Baker Mayfield/QB/Oklahoma

12 - Derwin James/S/Florida State

13 - Vita Vea/DL/Washington

14 - Leighton Vander Esch/LB/Boise State

15 - Calvin Ridley/WR/Alabama

First thoughts: I was surprised all three signal callers ranked at the top of the board, as Chubb and Barkley are graded significantly higher on our big board. It should be noted that I was informed that the top spot was fluid, and much depended on the team’s final grade of Josh Allen.

I was also surprised Da'Ron Payne of Alabama did not rank among the top 15. Payne is presently ranked third on our board, and he’s someone I will stubbornly keep there as I craft my grades based on what I expect 2-3 years down the road versus what’s going to happen on draft day.

This team has Roquan Smith as a top-10 prospect, while there are others who believe he could fall into the middle part of Round 1 for a variety of reasons.

I was gratified to see Leighton Vander Esch ranked at No. 14. We presently list Vander Esch at No. 12 on our board, and I posted during the combine that he could be selected as early as the Green Bay Packers -- and got a lot of grief over it -- who ironically own the 14th pick of Round 1.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Not that Tony Pauline is the end-all-be-all, but if they want Vander Carpenter, they may have to trade up for him.
Team boards are rounding into final shape, especially at the top. So how do some teams view the top 15 prospects?

In conversations last week, the day before Josh Allen had his pro-day workout, a team picking in the top 15 -- who shall remained unnamed -- shared the order of top 15 players on its board. It went like this:

1 - Sam Darnold/QB/USC

2 - Josh Allen/QB/Wyoming

3 - Josh Rosen/QB/UCLA

4 - Bradley Chubb/DL/North Carolina State

5 - Saquon Barkley/RB/Penn State

6 - Quenton Nelson/G/Notre Dame

7 - Minkah Fitzpatrick/DB/Alabama

8 - Denzel Ward/CB/Ohio State

9 - Tremaine Edmunds/LB/Virginia Tech

10 - Roquan Smith/LB/Georgia

11 - Baker Mayfield/QB/Oklahoma

12 - Derwin James/S/Florida State

13 - Vita Vea/DL/Washington

14 - Leighton Vander Esch/LB/Boise State

15 - Calvin Ridley/WR/Alabama

First thoughts: I was surprised all three signal callers ranked at the top of the board, as Chubb and Barkley are graded significantly higher on our big board. It should be noted that I was informed that the top spot was fluid, and much depended on the team’s final grade of Josh Allen.

I was also surprised Da'Ron Payne of Alabama did not rank among the top 15. Payne is presently ranked third on our board, and he’s someone I will stubbornly keep there as I craft my grades based on what I expect 2-3 years down the road versus what’s going to happen on draft day.

This team has Roquan Smith as a top-10 prospect, while there are others who believe he could fall into the middle part of Round 1 for a variety of reasons.

I was gratified to see Leighton Vander Esch ranked at No. 14. We presently list Vander Esch at No. 12 on our board, and I posted during the combine that he could be selected as early as the Green Bay Packers -- and got a lot of grief over it -- who ironically own the 14th pick of Round 1.
Do you work for the Cowboys inner circle or are you one of their writers?

Carter

Reaction score
So they wont pick him. Everything Broaddus says the exact different will Play out. Just like his Scouting Reports.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Not sure where I fall on this. I like Evans more.

But clearly Vander Esch has raw skills but I am not sure I want that risk at 19.

Considering the Cowboys drafted Charlton in the first round and he was said to be a "project", wouldn't be surprised at this pick.

I at least like his size, tired of the Cowboys playing 235 lb. guys at Mike, I remember R. McClain at 255 doing a good job of stopping runs up the middle...

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Can;t be duped into jumping up for an unknown like Claiborne again.

Unknown? "Claiborne won the Jim Thorpe Award as the best defensive back in the country and was unanimously recognized as an All-American". Towards the end of his junior season, Claiborne had established himself as the best cornerback prospects for the 2012 NFL Draft, unanimously projected as a top-6 selection.
Hardly an "unknown"...