Broadus thinks Vander Esch will be the pick

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
talking to what guys? our FO doesn't even know who will be there and who they would take.

He talks to scouts.

The DC Media guys are at the star all day and they have access to all of these guys. They talk to them in their cafeteria, in the hall, and wherever else someone would have conversations at work.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
He just talks to these guys and gives his opinion.

He's around the Cowboys personnel all the time, he does the show on the Cowboys website from Valley Ranch, he would have access to staff members, coaches, etc. so it's not unreasonable to assume he gets some inside info...

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
If LVE doesn’t make it to 19 that’s means there’s bound to be a few good prospects that slipped

And you never know, sometimes there's a run on certain positions, and teams get panicked thinking that the receiver or cornerback or defensive end they had pegged as being available when they draft so they grab a guy before they should, and a good player ins't drafted just because he's not the position player earlier teams want...

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Unknown? "Claiborne won the Jim Thorpe Award as the best defensive back in the country and was unanimously recognized as an All-American". Towards the end of his junior season, Claiborne had established himself as the best cornerback prospects for the 2012 NFL Draft, unanimously projected as a top-6 selection.
Hardly an "unknown"...
We never met with him. He scored the lowest Wonderlic score in the history of NFL players taking it. The Rams, desperate for CB help, traded away from him. There were signs. Don't make a significant trade up for a player you didn't do your homework on.

But you're right, it all worked out.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
We never met with him. He scored the lowest Wonderlic score in the history of NFL players taking it. The Rams, desperate for CB help, traded away from him. There were signs. Don't make a significant trade up for a player you didn't do your homework on.

But you're right, it all worked out.

I quote "an UNKNOWN player".

Wasn't talking about your 20-20 hindsight, NO PLAYER that was an All American and Jim Thorpe winner is UNKNOWN. That's all I was noting...

Sydla

Reaction score
yup. I'd take production over how many cones a guy can run around fast. Jewell has a LB's instincts. Might be around in the second round.

He'll be around in the 2nd round. People overrate Jewell.

Jewell will be there in the 3rd or 4th.

The guy racked up tackles but he also got exposed at times. Watch that PSU game and watch Barkley make him look silly in the passing game. People look at the stat line and see he had a crap ton of tackles but if you watched the game, he really had his issues on passing plays and when he was in space.

I wouldn't mind him as our two down thumper at MIKE, but I wouldn't take him before the 4th.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The guy racked up tackles but he also got exposed at times. Watch that PSU game and watch Barkley make him look silly in the passing game. People look at the stat line and see he had a crap ton of tackles but if you watched the game, he really had his issues on passing plays and when he was in space.

I wouldn't mind him as our two down thumper at MIKE, but I wouldn't take him before the 4th.

LOL...people always have to bring up SB against him...SB makes a good number of LBs look silly and he will probably make some pro bowl worthy LBs in the NFL look silly as well.

Every time some one talks bad about him it is almost always against one player.

Can we get some good game tape of him vs other RBs that are not named SB that make him look silly as well please.

Sydla

Reaction score
LOL...people always have to bring up SB against him...SB makes a good number of LBs look silly and he will probably make some pro bowl worthy LBs in the NFL look silly as well.

Can we get some good game tape of him vs other RBs that are not named SB that make him look silly as well please.

It's less about Barkley and more about how he struggled at times with NFL caliber speed.

PSU wasn't the only game he had some issues. There's a reason why most of these draft guides have him as a 3-4 rounder, and not a 1 or 2nd round guy despite having gaudy tackle numbers. He lacks athleticism.

In the Scouts thread started today, they have him at 102, for example........ which would put him in the early to mid 4th round.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
The guy racked up tackles but he also got exposed at times

Every player at some time gets "exposed". Might just be he had a couple off games, could have been injured but that info wasn't released, etc. So I wouldn't be too down on him just because of a couple bad games.

But I recall someone on the Cowboys website raving about Scooby Wright, who had tons and tons of tackles, and that person insisted that she was the greatest judge of NFL talent ever, and that Wright would be a superstar.

Well, he got cut by the Browns (!) and after two years with the Cardinals he's not even starting.

So beware of stats...

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score

I remember people thought Aquib Talib would be horrible coming out because there was one clip of Jordy Nelson roasting him. It’s just nonsense

Sydla

Reaction score
I remember people thought Aquib Talib would be horrible coming out because there was one clip of Jordy Nelson roasting him. It’s just nonsense

Except in this case, most draft guides have him as a late 3rd, 4th round pick at best. So call it nonsense all you want.

When someone suggests he "might be around in the 2nd round" that's a strange comment. Because it's unlikely he will even be picked in the 2nd round and maybe not even in the 3rd round.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Interesting video...

11 in his graduation class
His dad driving the 38 Vander Esch bus lol

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lawrence was from Boise St.

I'll take the production Tyron Crawford's given us from my third round pick and be pretty happy about it, too. Boise's been pretty good to us.

John813

Reaction score
I'll take the production Tyron Crawford's given us from my third round pick and be pretty happy about it, too. Boise's been pretty good to us.
Tyrone Crawford.

I agree. Crawford was a fine pick/production from where he was drafted.
Just didn't include him cause I didn't want discuss to shift to his contract which it seems to do at times and take the thread possibly ot

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

Jewell seems like a 2 down player.

If he can master the game like Sean LEe then maybe he can position himself quicker that way but I don't want him until the 3rd.