Bryan Broaddus on Chaz Green

Rayman70

Reaction score
He's not a guard, his skill set is clearly suited for tackle, which he played well when filling in for Tyron in 2016. Trying to move him to guard was a huge mistake and absolutely made zero sense. Hopefully this staff will end that experiment and leave him out at tackle going forward. I'd have no problems with him being our swing tackle next season, but I also don't evaluate players based on one game, I'm a total picture kind of fan. Saying he stinks based on one game were he was set up to fail...lmao... sounds like a typical fan
lol..Really? This isnt 1 game..its his body of work..PLUS he has major endurance issues. He can't stay on the field. I want my swing tackle/guard to take care of his body and be ready to roll. "Typical fan?" Give me a break lol.

Rayman70

Reaction score
He's not a guard, his skill set is clearly suited for tackle, which he played well when filling in for Tyron in 2016. Trying to move him to guard was a huge mistake and absolutely made zero sense. Hopefully this staff will end that experiment and leave him out at tackle going forward. I'd have no problems with him being our swing tackle next season, but I also don't evaluate players based on one game, I'm a total picture kind of fan. Saying he stinks based on one game were he was set up to fail...lmao... sounds like a typical fan
Adrian Clayborn says keep him at tackle as well. He agrees with you.;)

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
"He's not a guard, his skill set is clearly suited for tackle.."

It's very possible that they put him at guard as an "experiment", to see how he'd do, and also because with Leary and Free gone, Collins had to be put at RT, leaving nobody to play LG.

Wasn't that they thought he would take to guard well, was done out of necessity....

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
"Adrian Clayborn says keep him at tackle as well. He agrees with you.;)"

I imagine Reggie White said to keep Larry Allen at tackle as well.

But we all know how that turned out, right?

Won't hurt to give Green another shot, won't prevent the Cowboys from drafting a tackle or picking up one in free agency, the more the merrier!

Rayman70

Reaction score
"He's not a guard, his skill set is clearly suited for tackle.."

It's very possible that they put him at guard as an "experiment", to see how he'd do, and also because with Leary and Free gone, Collins had to be put at RT, leaving nobody to play LG.

Wasn't that they thought he would take to guard well, was done out of necessity....
You hit at something though. It goes to show you that we lacked a viable plan last offseason pertaining to how we would replace Leary and Free. We failed woefully. Like Collins at RT..don't love him there though. IMO..he is a starting LG. Like you said,we shuffled guys out of need. Thats on the staff and Will McClay. Not drafting a one olineman was a major mistake. I will agree that Green was put into a bad sitch...but to me he was better at guard than Tackle. Its not even close. I'm basing it off of his body of work.

Rayman70

Reaction score
"Adrian Clayborn says keep him at tackle as well. He agrees with you.;)"

I imagine Reggie White said to keep Larry Allen at tackle as well.

But we all know how that turned out, right?

Won't hurt to give Green another shot, won't prevent the Cowboys from drafting a tackle or picking up one in free agency, the more the merrier!
You saying Clayborn is Reggie White? lol...Jeesh..Clayborn is hardly a premiere edge guy...but Green made him look like Reggie White ,no doubt.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Thats what I have always seen. I think it was myself and Cowboyron...a couple years ago..over on the DC message board,we both came to that same conclusion after that debacle of a preseason game where Chaz was handled by third stringers and guys that would eventually be cut. Dak ran for his life then,and nothing has changed since,and never will. BTW...it was the Rams game in 2016. That game ranks right up there with the Falcons game this year. It was that bad.
If that’s the best option for LT when Tyron is down then we are in real trouble.

Rayman70

Reaction score
If I'm Alexander the new Oline coach...I'm heading into Will McClays office daily pounding the table for either Will Hernandez or Orlando Brown. Both studs and should be available at 19. Plug and play,day 1. Instant fix all for the oline.

Tristan

Reaction score
Jimmy and Bill wouldn't have tried to turn there swing tackle into a guard to try and fill a need. They would have left Chaz at tackle and had him ready to play if Smith or Collins went down.
True, having Bill and ol Rob Pettitte flashbacks now lol

Gator88

Reaction score
For "perspective", Clayborn finished one sack short of the all-time record of seven.

For "perspective", Green was benched and never even saw the field again, despite Bell being equally awful.

There's some "perspective."
So, it wasn't historically the worst performance, especially because all of Clayborn's sacks didn't come against Green? Thanks for backing me up. :thumbup:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So, it wasn't historically the worst performance, especially because all of Clayborn's sacks didn't come against Green? Thanks for backing me up. :thumbup:

If that's what you want to take away from it? Sure.

The fact is the he got the hook before it happened. And never saw the field again.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Broaddus had an account here until he got tired of all the idiots tossing insults at him. I haven’t really listened to him much until this past year on Talkin Cowboys. He seems to like to listen to himself talk and once he gets talking he talks and talks. I certainly don’t agree with everything he says but what’s refreshing about him is he’s candid and gives honest opinions. Despite all the grief he gets from everyone here he has more people following him on Twitter than anyone who covers the Cowboys and one reason is because he’s opinionated and doesn’t sugarcoat anything. Another reason is fans are interested in listening to him because he’s actually worked for NFL teams as a scout. That gives him some credibility over the others who cover the team. As for his opinions on Chaz Green I can’t recall what he said. My opinion of Green is he’s soft mentally and physically. From the day he arrived in Dallas he had injury issues. Every thread that was started about him on this board had to do with his health.

He was helped twice from the field during OTA’s with cramps. During a preseason game he looked like he was in poor condition. I never liked the guy from day one and have many posts on this board being critical of him. This was an exchange I had on another board about Green with a member who also posts here. This took place just before the Atlanta game when it was announced Green would be replacing Tyron. I had a bad feeling about Green playing LT after watching him get beat on three consecutive plays for a sack during a preseason game earlier this past summer. The fan I was arguing with had no concerns about Green. We had several heated exchanges over Green however these are the only two I can post here due to language.

xSDk82.jpg

eN4zcR.jpg

T-RO

Reaction score
The most obvious sign that a fan does not study the game footage or players is when they obsess about cutting some low level player....

Nobody should care about Green's status. They should care about having other options at Swing Tackle but Chaz Green is not preventing the team from acquiring another OT. Jeff Heath is NOT preventing the team from acquiring another Safety....I would consider drafting an OT early, but Chaz Green should stay on the roster and go to training camp with the team. If they find a better option that performs in training camp, they can move on from Green; however, right now they don't have any proven quality options at Swing Tackle.

Exactly. That's the prudent way. But 2/3 of the fans here have forged into the negativity brigade.

Fire this guy. Cut that guy. And Broaddus? Tar and feathers would be too kind.

Dallas has only won 22 of the last 32 regular season games with no playoff wins? So...Burn it down. Nothing is commendable, nothing is right. They all suck.

If a young player isn't good early on...jettison him into the sun.

:rolleyes:

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
It's interesting the amount of folks who bash Broaddus. I wonder if they actually watch his podcasts. I'm pretty sure the ones who like to say he's employed by Jones blah blah blah. Ever heard him when he wanted JG to lose his job?

conner01

Reaction score
Chaz Green was fine at OG early in the year. He was not as good as cooper but he was more than serviceable . He was much better the year before at LT.

I think Green is injury prone but I also believe that his issues at LT last year were because they tried switching him back and forth between the interior and outside. The footwork, hands, timing, etc are completely different.

There is no reason to give up on Green yet. And mind you I think Broaddus is extremely unreliable too.
No one listens to Broaddus but Green isn’t going anywhere till his rookie contract runs out

conner01

Reaction score
Hes gonna cost us a roster spot. Thats the harm. Someone else more worthy will be cut and go to another team,just for the sake of saving face. Makes no sense. Cant run a ball club that way and win.
Hopefully we draft a tackle where that is a concern but we are losing a tackle so there is one spot already

conner01

Reaction score
That one game was possibly the worst display of OT play in the history of the NFL. Psychologically he may never get over it. You can blame that on Garrett.
If he can’t get past it he has no business in the nfl
I blame the whole offensive staff for not helping him when it was obvious after a couple snaps he was over matched

cern

Reaction score
Is this more about broaddus or green. It should be about green. Broaddus is entitled to his opinion no matter how wrong he might be. Anyone watching that game saw how poorly both green and bell played. And how poorly the team was coached. The problem extends to more than just the players. Perhaps broaddus should have commented on the coaching staff as well.