BTB: 2016 NFL Draft Order: Cowboys Currently Picking Fourth Overall

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For those draft nerds, who are the best RBs. QBs and impact defensive players that might be there for us at #4 or 5. I admit I do not follow college FB.

Last I seen, Zeke Elliot was the top rated RB projected as the best overall player around 15 to 17.
Lynch at QB at #4, Goff at #7, and Cook around 15 to 17.
Next 2 QB's in 2nd round, Hackenberg and Wentz.
RB in 2nd round, high 2nd is Henry.

Best defensive players in top 5, Bosa and Ramsey.

all this will change after combine though.

CBS Sports site seems to be the best for ranking players.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
And where did I say you had to pick at 1? If you're trading, the 1st pick is worth more than any other. So how is that a bad thing in terms of getting the 1st pick overall draft slot?

I don't need my head examined because I know that my team hurt their future by winning a meaningless game in a lost season.

The thing about trading or picking there wasn't for you specifically. That was a continuation of my post in regards to the rest of the topic.

And, yes, when you mourn a win you need your head examined.

I'm sick of people talking about loser mentality around here and then have that tanking for the 'future' loser mentality. There is nothing worse, when it comes to sports, then for people to actually root for losses, or any of that bull****.

Thank God the players don't share that attitude. I would want every single one of them who did cut immediately.

And while I like people, like yourself, on these forums who have that loser mentality I would never want anyone with that outlook having anything to do with a sports team that I was a fan of, or part of, cause that loser line of thinking, and approach, is absolutely disgusting.

Last edited:

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There is no RB worth a Top 5 pick. Elliott is probably the best TB but he's more a mid to late round first round pick it seems in many mocks.

Best QBs are Goff from Cal and Lynch from Memphis. One or both might go Top 5 but there is a lot of chatter out there neither are really that great. A few articles have said it's not the best draft to have a Top 5 pick and want a QB. Both guys have questions.

Biggest impact players on defense in the Top 5? Joey Bosa, the SDE from Ohio State is a player. Nkemdiche is the DT from Ole Miss. Freak athlete but just got into a weird situation where he fell out a window because he was high. Jalen Ramsey is a FS from FSU. Another highly thought of kid. Some scouting reports say the kid with the highest upside might be Jaylon Smith, the LB from ND. Hargreaves, the CB from Florida is another top player.

Other top players could be OTs - Larry Tunsil from Ole Miss and maybe Ronnie Stanley from ND. But I can't see us going OL again.

Your post got in just before mine...LOL.
Thing is with the top 5 QB's, true none are what teams would say is a Andrew Luck type top of the draft. But remember, he would be learning behind one of the better QB's for a few years.

However, I won't get my hopes up for them to draft any QB in any round for the next 2 to 3 years. It just won't happen with this team. They after all, are only a bit smarter than the average rock when trying to find a future QB.

LucaBrasi

Sleeps with the fishes
Reaction score
Hopefully some teams in front of Dallas win a game or two.

Well, John Football looked like a reasonable facsimile of an NFL QB yesterday, so there's a chance in Cleveland. Hey, he's much better than Matt Cassel, so we got that going for us, which is nice.

Sydla

Reaction score
Your post got in just before mine...LOL.
Thing is with the top 5 QB's, true none are what teams would say is a Andrew Luck type top of the draft. But remember, he would be learning behind one of the better QB's for a few years.

However, I won't get my hopes up for them to draft any QB in any round for the next 2 to 3 years. It just won't happen with this team. They after all, are only a bit smarter than the average rock when trying to find a future QB.

One, that doesn't guarantee anything though. Two, I just have an issue with using a Top 5 pick that can be used for an immediate impact player on defense on a guy who if the plan works, would sit the bench for 3 years.

I think they will take a QB this year or next, but in the 2nd or 3rd rounds.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like you man but you really need to have your head examined.

Mourning a Commanders loss really ought to be a punishable crime.

Now that said there is nothing wrong with having the #1 pick. It doesn't kill your cap anymore, like it would have in years past, and there is nothing to say you have to stay put at #1 and pick there.

If there is some team in the top five that wants to jump up and get that top spot for a nice bundle of picks I have no issue with that. I'd love to have the #1 pick and have someone stupid offer a ton, for nothing, like the Commanders offered up for RGIII a few years ago. I'd love something like that.

I can see the theme for the offseason...last year we got the loss to the Commanders game kept us from HFA in the playoffs, ran up our butts.
This year it will be the win over the Commanders cost us the overall #1 pick in the draft....
:laugh:

Speaking of RG3, and that trade. I remember people laughing that they also got Kirk Cousins in the same draft.
now they have Cousins, McCoy, RG3...probably the most depth in the NFL.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
I'm torn between wanting to plan for the future at QB and wanting to get the best defensive player available to try to get this defense better to support Romo's last year or last couple of years.

Are Lynch and Goff the type of QBs we can't afford to pass on in the top five?

No

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I can see the theme for the offseason...last year we got the loss to the Commanders game kept us from HFA in the playoffs, ran up our butts.
This year it will be the win over the Commanders cost us the overall #1 pick in the draft....
:laugh:

Speaking of RG3, and that trade. I remember people laughing that they also got Kirk Cousins in the same draft.

Yes. They do.

But it was still a complete waste of their picks.

They gave all those draft picks away for RGIII...then wasted another pick on a QB. If you were so sold on RGIII that you bet the farm on him with your picks, you don't waste another pick on another guy.

Now you've got two QB's on your roster that cost you a lot of players, and potential talent, between the two of them.

And now they have to decide rather to sink a lot of money into Cousins or not. Has he shown enough to be the man there going forward? Is he worth the money they're going to have to likely give to keep him?

Their drafting plan, and the way they executed it, was awful.

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
And where did I say you had to pick at 1? If you're trading, the 1st pick is worth more than any other. So how is that a bad thing in terms of getting the 1st pick overall draft slot?

I don't need my head examined because I know that my team hurt their future by winning a meaningless game in a lost season.

Could trade down and get 3 CBs in the first 2 rounds

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
The Panthers have the weakest strength of schedule in the league. :laugh:

They drew the NFC East and AFC South

So did the Falcons early in the year.

3 of 4 wins in Dallas has been the NFC East

Car still s the total package

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

You mean because most teams only carry two active quarterbacks? :D

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Sadly, I feel like they will find a way to screw it up, either by winning another "who cares" game or blowing the pick.

If they win another, it will be vs Washington in Week 17. Wins vs NYJ and/or Buf are highly unlikely IMO.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Team tank checking in.

The Washington game did nothing but hurt us. Let's not let that happen again.

Just keep doing what you're doing JAson and i'm sure we'll possibly get in that top 3.

garyv

Reaction score
When your picking in the top 5 which doesn't happen very often and the fact Romo is the only QB you can count and hes a walking time bomb with injury history on I don't give a hoot
what anyone says now is the time to draft your franchise QB of the future. PERIOD.