BTB: 2016 NFL Draft Order: Cowboys Currently Picking Fourth Overall

Sydla

Reaction score
What is our biggest problem?. We are screwed without Romo.we have a golden chance to get our next franchise QB, we may not get another top 5 pick again for a while.

Where is it written that you need a Top 5 pick to get a franchise QB?

Again, do people realize that this is a fairly weak QB draft and that if you had Lynch say in last year's draft, he's not even be a Top 10 pick most likely?

Neither Lynch or Goff are considered in the class of an Andrew Luck or Cam Newton or even Jameis Winston.

I am all for taking a Top 5 QB in the TOP 5 if that QB is really considered a stud. I do not take a QB in the TOp 5 just because I think we need one and these two just happen to be the two best available in what is a weak QB draft.

popp1234

Reaction score
Whelp, if we are going to lose, let's lose with dignity and shoot for a top 2-3 pick. :D

cej757

Reaction score
I think it's time to upgrade the skills position on this team. Saying that I would draft Wr Laquon Treadwell from Ole Miss. You put Dez and Treadwell on the field together and we will be flat out scary on offense. T Will is not a true number 2 receiver, Treadwell is a bonafide number 1 and will be a beast the moment he steps on the field.

Sydla

Reaction score
I think it's time to upgrade the skills position on this team. Saying that I would draft Wr Laquon Treadwell from Ole Miss. You put Dez and Treadwell on the field together and we will be flat out scary on offense. T Will is not a true number 2 receiver, Treadwell is a bonafide number 1 and will be a beast the moment he steps on the field.

Rather sign a #2 WR like a Gordon or Randle and then use a Top Ten pick on a stud defender.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
Winning another game can basically drop you into the teens.

**** that.

Apollo Creed

Stackin and Processin, Well
Reaction score

No doubt. The draft has been routinely pumping quality WRs into the league - Beckham, Cooper, Watkins, Evans, etc. You almost can't miss these days.

Williams ceiling is being an above average NFL WR - Treadwell, could be a star. We need a better option opposite Bryant - Witten is getting old and none of our other guys have any big play ability.

AlterEgo

Reaction score
I don't follow college football all that much but can you imagine this staff grooming a rookie qb? Ugh, no thanks. They need a game changing, impact player. D-line, linebacker, cb or wr. I'd actually rank wr higher because this current wr unit is a train wreck.

reddyuta

Reaction score
Where is it written that you need a Top 5 pick to get a franchise QB?

Again, do people realize that this is a fairly weak QB draft and that if you had Lynch say in last year's draft, he's not even be a Top 10 pick most likely?

Neither Lynch or Goff are considered in the class of an Andrew Luck or Cam Newton or even Jameis Winston.

I am all for taking a Top 5 QB in the TOP 5 if that QB is really considered a stud. I do not take a QB in the TOp 5 just because I think we need one and these two just happen to be the two best available in what is a weak QB draft.

I think Lynch and Goff will climb in the top 10 as the draft approaches.going with 2nd tier QBs is really not worth it .

Chuck 54

Reaction score
With our QB situation, I think it's a forgone conclusion that we lose to the Jets and Bills, two excellent defenses that will stifle us.
As far as the draft, it's looking good.

No way we take a QB in round one, however. But it does put us in good position for a developmental type QB in rounds 2-3.

superonyx

Reaction score
There is no RB worth a Top 5 pick. Elliott is probably the best TB but he's more a mid to late round first round pick it seems in many mocks.

Best QBs are Goff from Cal and Lynch from Memphis. One or both might go Top 5 but there is a lot of chatter out there neither are really that great. A few articles have said it's not the best draft to have a Top 5 pick and want a QB. Both guys have questions.

Biggest impact players on defense in the Top 5? Joey Bosa, the SDE from Ohio State is a player. Nkemdiche is the DT from Ole Miss. Freak athlete but just got into a weird situation where he fell out a window because he was high. Jalen Ramsey is a FS from FSU. Another highly thought of kid. Some scouting reports say the kid with the highest upside might be Jaylon Smith, the LB from ND. Hargreaves, the CB from Florida is another top player.

Other top players could be OTs - Larry Tunsil from Ole Miss and maybe Ronnie Stanley from ND. But I can't see us going OL again.

I'm having a hard time getting too excited for any of these guys.
Of course our luck we cant get a top 5 pick in a draft that has an Andrew Luck or Todd Gurley type of player.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No doubt. The draft has been routinely pumping quality WRs into the league - Beckham, Cooper, Watkins, Evans, etc. You almost can't miss these days.

Williams ceiling is being an above average NFL WR - Treadwell, could be a star. We need a better option opposite Bryant - Witten is getting old and none of our other guys have any big play ability.

We don't know what their abilities are, they do not get enough playing time. And this may be unpopular, but all great players comes a time to play less.
We do not know if our back up TE's can get false starts or run one yard short routes for first downs, because they can't get on the field.

Time to see what Swaim can do as well. Hanna is a FA, so why play him anymore. We need to see that Escobar can take over for Witten.
Or else he will be gone as a FA soon, as Witten still is out there in a wheel chair catching passes from Romo in his wheel chair.

And I rather have Escobar out there then reading 1 million threads on drafting a TE in the 2nd round because we actually had to this time....LOL...

Apollo Creed

Stackin and Processin, Well
Reaction score
I'm having a hard time getting too excited for any of these guys.
Of course our luck we cant get a top 5 pick in a draft that has an Andrew Luck or Todd Gurley type of player.

This is a weak draft class from what I can tell.

No QBs worth touching until the middle of the 1st (even though both will go in the top 10). Best RB is a late 1st round talent. Treadwell is the best WR in the class but he's nowhere near the Sammy Watkins/Amari Cooper level of best WR in the class.

Bosa will be long gone, Ramsey seems like a blue chip player but we obviously don't know what a good CB looks like.

We missed a wide open NFC East this year and happened to get great draft position in one of the weaker drafts of the last 10 years.

Football Gods aren't very fond of the Cowboys these days it seems.

Sydla

Reaction score
I think Lynch and Goff will climb in the top 10 as the draft approaches.going with 2nd tier QBs is really not worth it .

They are already in the Top Ten in almost every draft guide. But you also read that many consider this a weak draft and the only reason those two are likely in a the Top 5 is because the league is so desperate for QBs that they end to overvalue and these guys could be overvalued. The gap between them and say a Christian Hackenberg in Round 2 isn't that big. Neither of these guys are in the same league as say Newton or Luck when they were in the draft.

Sydla

Reaction score
This is a weak draft class from what I can tell.

No QBs worth touching until the middle of the 1st (even though both will go in the top 10). Best RB is a late 1st round talent. Treadwell is the best WR in the class but he's nowhere near the Sammy Watkins/Amari Cooper level of best WR in the class.

Bosa will be long gone, Ramsey seems like a blue chip player but we obviously don't know what a good CB looks like.

We missed a wide open NFC East this year and happened to get great draft position in one of the weaker drafts of the last 10 years.

Football Gods aren't very fond of the Cowboys these days it seems.

Small nit but Ramsey is likely a FS at the next level and considered a good one.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
With our QB situation, I think it's a forgone conclusion that we lose to the Jets and Bills, two excellent defenses that will stifle us.
As far as the draft, it's looking good.

No way we take a QB in round one, however. But it does put us in good position for a developmental type QB in rounds 2-3.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2016/QB
There are you QB draft prospects. There is not a one QB after the top 5 that I would want. I am not a draft expert, so maybe there is one or two that people like as a pet cat.
If we can't get one of the top 5, I prefer get none. Go the FA route yet again to find nothing. Cardale Jones is at #6, and i am an Ohio State fan, but I would not want to use a 2 or 3 round pick on him.
If BPA in the 5th, yes, then I may be ok with it, depending on if any pet cats are there.

reddyuta

Reaction score
They are already in the Top Ten in almost every draft guide. But you also read that many consider this a weak draft and the only reason those two are likely in a the Top 5 is because the league is so desperate for QBs that they end to overvalue and these guys could be overvalued. The gap between them and say a Christian Hackenberg in Round 2 isn't that big. Neither of these guys are in the same league as say Newton or Luck when they were in the draft.

We might have to wait a long time to get someone like Luck and hopefully tank at the right time.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
My targets in the first round, if our position in the draft stays similar is Hargreaves, Ramsey, and Nkemdiche.

I want no part of Lynch and Goff.

silver

Reaction score
I'm torn between wanting to plan for the future at QB and wanting to get the best defensive player available to try to get this defense better to support Romo's last year or last couple of years.

Are Lynch and Goff the type of QBs we can't afford to pass on in the top five?

No, you can't pass on them.