News: BTB: Tony Romo felt like the Cowboys were in good hands when he walked away from them

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Tony Romo felt like the Cowboys were in good hands when he walked away from them

488137872.jpg.jpg

Tony Romo felt comfortable with where the team was when he left the Cowboys.

Read Full Story
I think he was taking about Garrett.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I will never understand the "one hit away from injury" line. Every player is one hit away. There isn't a hit counter that every player has.
It is a common fallacy not unique to the sport of football. Force, physics, trauma, physiology, etc., are all logical factors in determining injury. However, these things are routinely discarded in favor of hoodoo methodology.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I will never understand the "one hit away from injury" line. Every player is one hit away. There isn't a hit counter that every player has.
No, but as much as I hate to admit it, he was more likely at that point to be seriously injured.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I thought it mattered to you based on your response.
Something suddenly occurred to me. Did you mean to say sacked instead of hit in your original statement of '...I could be wrong but he was never hit as much as Dak was last season'? I apologize if you meant to say 'sacked' instead of 'hit'. Never mind my latest question if you meant to say 'hit' instead of 'sack'.

ShiningStar

Reaction score

its a phenomon that you cant explain to people, something called age. older people cant explain it to youth. yes everyone can be 1 hit away but as the body ages, recuperation and your skeletal frame make NEW observations and pick up new phrases like "Screw this" When romo was 26 his body could handle stupid like "who needs a C or a LT" than as he got older his brain said "screw this, i need more protection" sadly, he took a nice hit and everything in his body said "OUCH" reality had stepped in and said "age, your body cant hack this"

its remarkable process, but i tried to explain it to you as best i could on a level that makes it easier.

also why certain jobs arent for older people.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Once upon a time, Willie McGahee was 21 years old. Powerful. Fast. No reported health deficits. There were projections of McGahee enjoying a remarkable NFL career after his The U days were behind him. Then his left knee underwent a radically horrific hit.

McGahee was one hit away and his youth did not spare him. Maybe force, physics, trauma, etc. had something to do with his injury?

Nah. Underneath McGahee's skin was a 35-year old running back hiding in a young person's body. Tough break (bad pun DE bad pun).

ShiningStar

Reaction score
Once upon a time, Willie McGahee was 21 years old. Powerful. Fast. No reported health deficits. There were projections of McGahee enjoying a remarkable NFL career after his The U days were behind him. Then his left knee underwent a radically horrific hit.

McGahee was one hit away and his youth did not spare him. Maybe force, physics, trauma, etc. had something to do with his injury?

Nah. Underneath McGahee's skin was a 35-year old running back hiding in a young person's body. Tough break (bad pun DE bad pun).

happens all the time. ask every RB , or anyone getting into sports, if they think about that 1 hit being 24, or at 30?

yes, your 1 example changed science forever.

ShiningStar

Reaction score

people have broken legs on sand? how much force was used in that?

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/spo...-robert-edwards-beat-the-odds/article4121029/

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
happens all the time. ask every RB , or anyone getting into sports, if they think about that 1 hit being 24, or at 30?

yes, your 1 example changed science forever.
Was the discussion about how age and injury relate to each other? Or is this a conversation about how thinking about injury at relative ages creates injuries? And yes. science is science. It is never hoodoo whenever practically applied.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
Was the discussion about how age and injury relate to each other? Or is this a conversation about how thinking about injury at relative ages creates injuries? And yes. science is science. It is never hoodoo whenever practically applied.

the discussion is, "could Romo take a hit better when he 26, or older" clearly taking a hit at 26 was easier than when his older body took a hit. no matter what you fill the body with , bodies are still subject to what their body can take at different factors, being older was a factor Romo couldt overcome, unlike a very few" Taking another hit had a bigger risk of ending his career painfully compared to him walking away on his own.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No, but as much as I hate to admit it, he was more likely at that point to be seriously injured.
He could no longer protect himself adequately. And he would hold the ball to try and make a play because he was seldom willing to give up on one.

I would like to see this stat. Plays improvised by him vs executed. All QB's have to improvise but he seemed to do that more than most, The other one would be plays executed as called vs changed at the los.

Now, he did become proficient at reading the D's so I could see the play caller relying on that a lot. Manning made a career out of that.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
the discussion is, "could Romo take a hit better when he 26, or older" clearly taking a hit at 26 was easier than when his older body took a hit. no matter what you fill the body with , bodies are still subject to what their body can take at different factors, being older was a factor Romo couldt overcome, unlike a very few" Taking another hit had a bigger risk of ending his career painfully compared to him walking away on his own.
A history of back injuries had more to do with his likelihood to be injured again, IMO.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
He could no longer protect himself adequately. And he would hold the ball to try and make a play because he was seldom willing to give up on one.

I would like to see this stat. Plays improvised by him vs executed. All QB's have to improvise but he seemed to do that more than most, The other one would be plays executed as called vs changed at the los.

Now, he did become proficient at reading the D's so I could see the play caller relying on that a lot. Manning made a career out of that.
It's like the way I've gotten better at hitting my golf ball out of the woods. Necessity is the mother of invention, but also the mother of practice.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Aging does not occur equally among all people (or living things for that matter). Of course, physiologically all people, who do not have adverse physical deficiencies such as bone density deficits, are relatively the same.

Yes. I agree. Older people, this is all older people, handle trauma differently as they age. Where I disagree is the assertion that people, in this case athletes, differ physiologically in the absence of physiological deficits. That is not logical.

Tell me. How does Tony Romo's skeletal density differ from any athlete of equal age with similar health history? Please elaborate where the difference has been reported publicly if you have an explanation that backs your answer if possible.

EDIT: Added 'with similar health history' late