News: BTB: Tony Romo: The Choke Artist Myth And Elimination Vs. Playoff Hunt Games

Dday22t

Reaction score
everyone has their biased opinion and stats and examples do little to change that... Even Cowboy "fans" find it easiest to blame Romo more than his share

tyke1doe

Reaction score
He's definitely on the risky side of average, but nothing approaching Eli for example.

Nothing like two Super Bowl victories, both involving clutch passes, to remove the stigma of "risky side of average." ;)

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I wouldn't exactly hold Romo's risky nature against him. At least not on this team.

That's why I said he needed a coach to manage him - early. I ultimately blame Jerry Jones because he has wanted to feature Romo and feature the high-flying passing game. While that puts people in the stands, I don't know if it's the way to win championships. Usually, the team that wins the Super Bowl has a strong running game to complement a good quarterback.

Romo is just trying to do what he has to do to win. But he's Farvian. He needed someone who understood this to rescue him from himself. Bill Parcells did, but Bill was too old to hang in there. I think he just got tired and simply didn't have the energy to stick it out with the Cowboys. Wade didn't have the personality to do it (he was too easy going and was going to do whatever Jerry wanted), and then he was hamstrung when Jerry picked Garrett to serve on Wade's staff.

Romo was handled all wrong. And now, I fear, he'll never get to the Super Bowl because we've wasted his better days. No question, he's a great talent. Anyone who denies this is either blind or simply stubborn. But ... he does press too much unnecessarily, and that's because we haven't built a scheme or a team around him to use him properly.

If the team Troy led were built around Romo, there's no question in my mind he'd be wearing a Super Bowl ring by now. Heck, if Romo were on the Giants, he'd have two Super Bowl rings right now, IMO.

It's really a shame that we had the quarterback, but we just couldn't put the necessary pieces around him for him to deliver us a championship. :(

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
That's why I said he needed a coach to manage him - early. I ultimately blame Jerry Jones because he has wanted to feature Romo and feature the high-flying passing game. While that puts people in the stands, I don't know if it's the way to win championships. Usually, the team that wins the Super Bowl has a strong running game to complement a good quarterback.

Romo is just trying to do what he has to do to win. But he's Farvian. He needed someone who understood this to rescue him from himself. Bill Parcells did, but Bill was too old to hang in there. I think he just got tired and simply didn't have the energy to stick it out with the Cowboys. Wade didn't have the personality to do it (he was too easy going and was going to do whatever Jerry wanted), and then he was hamstrung when Jerry picked Garrett to serve on Wade's staff.

Romo was handled all wrong. And now, I fear, he'll never get to the Super Bowl because we've wasted his better days. No question, he's a great talent. Anyone who denies this is either blind or simply stubborn. But ... he does press too much unnecessarily, and that's because we haven't built a scheme or a team around him to use him properly.

If the team Troy led were built around Romo, there's no question in my mind he'd be wearing a Super Bowl ring by now. Heck, if Romo were on the Giants, he'd have two Super Bowl rings right now, IMO.

It's really a shame that we had the quarterback, but we just couldn't put the necessary pieces around him for him to deliver us a championship. :(

I've said for a long time that we wasted Romo's best years with bad coaching. When this era of the Cowboys end and we look back, I'm afraid that we will just say, "what a waste."

CCBoy

Reaction score
I've said for a long time that we wasted Romo's best years with bad coaching. When this era of the Cowboys end and we look back, I'm afraid that we will just say, "what a waste."

Well, prove your case. Show some sudden dip in record that is not surmountable this very season.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Well, prove your case. Show some sudden dip in record that is not surmountable this very season.

Huh?

Even if we do better this year, that proves even more that we wasted Romo's talents.
Let's assume we get to the Super Bowl. Then the argument will be, "See, I told you Romo could get to the Super Bowl with the requisite talent."
But that will simply mean that we DIDN'T get the necessary talent for him previously, and we DID waste his talent.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score

I don't really have to prove anything. The Cowboys have wasted 8 years of his career. He has nothing to show for it..He has one more playoff win than Quincy Carter. People think this team is going to compete for a SB in the next year or two but I don't see it. By the time this team is fixed we'll be on our next QB.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I don't really have to prove anything. The Cowboys have wasted 8 years of his career. He has nothing to show for it..He has one more playoff win than Quincy Carter. People think this team is going to compete for a SB in the next year or two but I don't see it. By the time this team is fixed we'll be on our next QB.

The similar logic would apply to the statement, if I wasn't so good looking I'd be rich now.

ufcrules1

Reaction score
My opinion is a little different than some of you. I think it is possible with the right coach and everything Romo could lead his ream to the superbowl but I'm really not sure one way or the other. I lean towards him not winning one though because in elimination/ playoff games he shrinks. If i saw him play better in those games or even play at his normal regular season level I may feel differently. 2012 versus Waahington really stands out in my mind. It was very winnable and Romo really played horrifically. I have given up on him and am looking forward to drafting a new QB.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
How not? Teams with defensive performances like ours finish 4-12 on average.

I don't know how you're calculating "on average" or how far you went back to calculate the average, but I found something fascinating.
Unless, I looked up the wrong year, I found that the teams that were ranked last in defense actually had better records than the Cowboys did (with the exception of the 2012 Pittsburgh Steelers).
Now, if I calculated these incorrectly, forgive me (facts from NFL.com). (And I suspect maybe I did because I couldn't believe what I was reading/seeing.) But I looked up defensive stats for the past eight years, then looked at #32, and the teams listed below, are the teams that were ranked last.

2012 - Pittsburgh (8-8)
2011 - Pittsburgh (12-4)
2010 - San Diego (9-7)
2009 - NY Jets (9-7)
2008 - Pittsburgh (12-4)
2007 - Tampa Bay (9-7)
2006 - Baltimore (13-3)
2005 - Tampa Bay (11-5)

If these teams/stats are correct, by your own definition, I don't think Romo pressed too much.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
My opinion is a little different than some of you. I think it is possible with the right coach and everything Romo could lead his ream to the superbowl but I'm really not sure one way or the other. I lean towards him not winning one though because in elimination/ playoff games he shrinks. If i saw him play better in those games or even play at his normal regular season level I may feel differently. 2012 versus Waahington really stands out in my mind. It was very winnable and Romo really played horrifically. I have given up on him and am looking forward to drafting a new QB.

Gee what an original perspective, I had no idea you felt that way. That's what I like so much about you, every time you post it's fresh and exciting and you reveal some hidden thoughts we had no idea you held.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
If these teams/stats are correct, by your own definition, I don't think Romo pressed too much.
They're not correct.

Don't know what you did there. It's not yards or points, which would be the most common stats. And definitely not points per drive or defensive passer rating, which would have the highest win correlations.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I don't know how you're calculating "on average" or how far you went back to calculate the average, but I found something fascinating.
Unless, I looked up the wrong year, I found that the teams that were ranked last in defense actually had better records than the Cowboys did (with the exception of the 2012 Pittsburgh Steelers).
Now, if I calculated these incorrectly, forgive me (facts from NFL.com). (And I suspect maybe I did because I couldn't believe what I was reading/seeing.) But I looked up defensive stats for the past eight years, then looked at #32, and the teams listed below, are the teams that were ranked last.

2012 - Pittsburgh (8-8)
2011 - Pittsburgh (12-4)
2010 - San Diego (9-7)
2009 - NY Jets (9-7)
2008 - Pittsburgh (12-4)
2007 - Tampa Bay (9-7)
2006 - Baltimore (13-3)
2005 - Tampa Bay (11-5)

What the....you think those teams listed that year were "last" in defense?

I think you have it exactly backwards.
You listed the top rated defenses each of those years...at least as measured by total yards per game.

So yes, you were correct to question what you were reading.
NFL.com lists the backwards...with most yards given up as 1st, and least yards as 32nd. So Dallas would have been 1st worst) in 2013.

Last edited:

tantrix1969

Reaction score

2012 - Pittsburgh (8-8)
2011 - Pittsburgh (12-4)
2010 - San Diego (9-7)
2009 - NY Jets (9-7)
2008 - Pittsburgh (12-4)
2007 - Tampa Bay (9-7)
2006 - Baltimore (13-3)
2005 - Tampa Bay (11-5)

Yea that's not right, off the top of my head only team with league worst defense I can think of that had a winning record was Green Bay in 2011