Bucky Brooks: "It's a myth that elite QBs single-handedly carry their teams to wins"

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score

:facepalm:
Of course Bucky, no QB single-handedly can win a game! (Using a scottish brogue)
Who, wayward chap, believes tha?
Who? I am soliciting names of fans who say a QB CAN single-handily win a game.j.

Successful teams have QB who lead, guide, don't lose their focus, respond well to adversity and are good tactician/managers. And remain calm and cool.

I can only speak for my QB, Dak.
Dak has none of those qualities and has been surrounded by good players.
And you would be the first to say "Dak lost the Super Bowl" if that day ever came ..........see how that works (lol)
Not quite, old boy.
As I said the last 3 consecutive wild card games, "Dak screwed it up again." And those were true assessments.

kskboys

Reaction score
In the playoffs, teams are generally very close in talent level. The difference is more often than not the performance of the quarterback. Dont need to be hyperbolic about it to say KC beat SF specifically because Pat Mahomes was the outlier, not because he was the sole asset to the team.
And even more specifically, KC won back to back super bowls after they built their D. 2nd in the NFL. Held playoff teams to 15 ppg, teams that averaged 28 PPG during the season. Shut down Lamar like a mouthy child.

805BoysInBlue

Reaction score
It's not a myth that a bad quarterback can single handedly cost his team a game.
We've seen that too many times in Dallas.
Dak shuts down until the game is out of reach, and even provides points for the opponent.
Yeah cause the defense had his back and held GB right.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
That Chiefs team last year without Mahomes is about a 4 win team.

This opinion is hot garbage.
Mahomes is an exception, no doubt but what about the other 31 QBs? Also, it's interesting how fans seldom give Andy Reid credit, he is the best offensive mind in football.

The Natural

Reaction score
"a great QB can tilt the field in their team’s favor" well yea genius, that's the spirit behind the idea of a QB carrying their team to a win.

Case in point, let's say you're on the road in SF for a playoff game. It's a 6-6 ball game with 1:22 left in the half -- 2nd and 2 at their 18 yard line, and you also get the ball first in the second half. When you have a real elite QB like Mahomes you are thinking to yourself "man, I've got two possessions and I'm going to put this game away". But when you've got a backyardigan like Dak, you toss a pick in that situation to set up the other team for points before half, and get nothing on your first possession in the second half. The elites raise their level of play against the toughest of teams in the toughest of situations, Dak folds.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
You will never have to worry about anyone saying that.
1. You are probably right. But until Dak's career is over, we won't know that for certain. Never say never. But I see no reason to say that about Dak, if you have no hope for Dak winning a SB, why are you a Cowboys fan? Criticize where needed, but at least leave the door open. Jim Plunkett was constantly getting benched, but he did "win" 2 SBs. (Yes, I know it was a different era, but his name is still listed as the winning qb in those games.)
2. While not common, we've seen qbs "catch fire" and have a great season, or great post season, and win a SB then return to being a JAG or even a mediocre qb. Could happen with Dak, though again I would agree it's not likely.

3. Being unlikely to win a SB for me doesn't mean turning into Mr. Doom and Gloom. I'll watch and see what happens, won't have great hopes but neither will I consign the Cowboys to the trash heap based on one player, a player on a team with Jerry Jones as the owner and gm, a team that's had beaucoup starting qbs (including Saint Tony) yet didn't win it all, either. I wish Dak the best as far as quarterbacking the Cowboys goes...

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
"a great QB can tilt the field in their team’s favor" well yea genius, that's the spirit behind the idea of a QB carrying their team to a win.

Case in point, let's say you're on the road in SF for a playoff game. It's a 6-6 ball game with 1:22 left in the half -- 2nd and 2 at their 18 yard line, and you also get the ball first in the second half. When you have a real elite QB like Mahomes you are thinking to yourself "man, I've got two possessions and I'm going to put this game away". But when you've got a backyardigan like Dak, you toss a pick in that situation to set up the other team for points before half, and get nothing on your first possession in the second half. The elites raise their level of play against the toughest of teams in the toughest of situations, Dak folds.
Question.....why is Mahomes the only QB used by fans as an example of elite??????

The Natural

Reaction score

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
And even more specifically, KC won back to back super bowls after they built their D. 2nd in the NFL. Held playoff teams to 15 ppg, teams that averaged 28 PPG during the season. Shut down Lamar like a mouthy child.
As I've noted before, Russell Wilson only went to SBs when his team had the no. 1 defense. He's a probable HOF qb, but without those defenses he never won a SB....

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Question.....why is Mahomes the only QB used by fans as an example of elite??????
It’s usually for an agenda. It goes without saying Mahomes is the best in the game and he’s an exception. He’s the closest thing to use the “You need an elite QB to win” argument. It’s a ridiculous argument because it’s insulting to suggest Andy Reid, Kielce, Rice and that defense had no say in that championship. Very lazy.

Yobwocs

Reaction score
We don't have a Mahomes. Neither does 30 other teams in the league. Case closed. Move on from this silly discussion.

In the absence of the top QB in the league, we have to find other ways to win. Or structure rosters according to that fact.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
We don't have a Mahomes. Neither does 30 other teams in the league. Case closed. Move on from this silly discussion.

In the absence of the top QB in the league, we have to find other ways to win. Or structure rosters according to that fact.
I’d argue no one has a Mahomes lol. I say that jokingly but people don’t even know the impact he has. He’s going to be one of the best quarterbacks of all time if he isn’t already. But the guy needs help. That’s not to excuse Dak for his awful play on the playoffs but it’s a fact. All these guys need more help except 49ers, Chiefs and Eagles IMo.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
don't worry about that one word, focus
I have nothing to focus on I didn’t engage in that thread lol. No point in stressing myself out over such a thread. Just saying you called him a chump and it’s never that serious. He’s a good poster save the name calling for guys like me or Pappy lol