Bucky Brooks: "It's a myth that elite QBs single-handedly carry their teams to wins"

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
I thought Mahomes wins all by himself. I mean QB's play against QB's. We all know that, right?
Weirdly he basically did after they let all his studs go but when it happens here the refrain is “who did Dak have last year” when he wets the bed in the playoffs. Can’t have it both ways

Miller

Reaction score
He didn’t lose all his receivers he lost one lol.
Yall are insufferable and ruin this place. Mahomes was working with Kelce, rookies and guys after losing an All Pro. When it happens here it’s “Dak had trash last year.” It’s been said by many. I’ve spent years being Switzerland in the thing yet we keep having playoff issues and he’s part of the issue.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
We don't have a Mahomes. Neither does 30 other teams in the league. Case closed. Move on from this silly discussion.

In the absence of the top QB in the league, we have to find other ways to win. Or structure rosters according to that fact.
I would argue that if team 1 has Mahomes and he has a $37m cap hit and team 2 has Dak with a $55m cap hit, team 1 has a massive advantage. In last year's super bowl, KC barely won and a lot of that had to do with the fact that the opponent had a very good QB on a $1m cap hit. That extra $36m put a lot of talent around that QB.

If you want to win in the NFL, you don't give good but not great QB's massive contracts. They all come up short and you hear the same things you have heard around Dallas going back to the Romo years "the defense sucks", "no running game", "no O line", etc. The salary cap makes it a zero sum game. The more you pay your QB, the less you pay everyone else.

If you really dig into the details, what NFL teams do is give QB's these massive deals that are actually backloaded, giving them a few year window where you have a pretty good QB on a small cap hit. Unfortunately for Cowboys fans, Dallas has frequently been using a lot of salary tricks so that the team ends up having dead money on its roster so they can't take advantage of it when they have a cheap QB. Dak's early years were wasted paying off the remainder of Romo's contract. His middle years were wasted paying off other people's inflated deals. Now his later years are just going to be him and his high cap hit choking the team of talent.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Yall are insufferable and ruin this place. Mahomes was working with Kelce, rookies and guys after losing an All Pro. When it happens here it’s “Dak had trash last year.” It’s been said by many. I’ve spent years being Switzerland in the thing yet we keep having playoff issues and he’s part of the issue.
I’m insufferable because I hold you guys to what you say. You just lied and said he lost all his receivers. He did not. You then lied and said he was working with rookies. He was working with one rookie which is Rice who was a damn good rookie. This has nothing to do with Dak it’s about not making up lies and that what makes this place insufferable.

doomsday9084

Reaction score

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I would argue that if team 1 has Mahomes and he has a $37m cap hit and team 2 has Dak with a $55m cap hit, team 1 has a massive advantage. In last year's super bowl, KC barely won and a lot of that had to do with the fact that the opponent had a very good QB on a $1m cap hit. That extra $36m put a lot of talent around that QB.

If you want to win in the NFL, you don't give good but not great QB's massive contracts. They all come up short and you hear the same things you have heard around Dallas going back to the Romo years "the defense sucks", "no running game", "no O line", etc. The salary cap makes it a zero sum game. The more you pay your QB, the less you pay everyone else.

If you really dig into the details, what NFL teams do is give QB's these massive deals that are actually backloaded, giving them a few year window where you have a pretty good QB on a small cap hit. Unfortunately for Cowboys fans, Dallas has frequently been using a lot of salary tricks so that the team ends up having dead money on its roster so they can't take advantage of it when they have a cheap QB. Dak's early years were wasted paying off the remainder of Romo's contract. His middle years were wasted paying off other people's inflated deals. Now his later years are just going to be him and his high cap hit choking the team of talent.
Dak had a cap hit last year or 26 million….before that 20 and before that 17 million….when Dak had a 17 million dollar cap hit do you know what they did?
They lost Connor Williams, Randy Gregory, Brent Urban, La El Collins, Amari and Cedric Wilson.

You know what they added? Anthony Barr, Dante Fowler, Jason Peters and James Washington.

We have got to stop giving this front office the excuse of salary as to why they can’t build a proper team.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I would argue that its not subjective. I can't come up with any rationale for Mahomes having the 10th highest AAV in the NFL.
https://www.givemesport.com/highest-paid-quarterbacks-nfl/

I also would not use possibly the worst QB contract in the NFL (Jones) as a benchmark. A lot of people at the time said "Oh, the Giants are going to regret that one."
I say it’s subjective because some would say 450 million is excessive. I personally don’t think so I’m for players getting every dime.

And you can use any contract you want you can use Lawrence or Baker or Kirk or Deshaun or Kyler as your benchmark. Lamar and Dak made All Pro and they are not the two highest paid guys in the league.

Yobwocs

Reaction score

Yes but the Cowboys do these things to themselves. They gotta do all these financial things better.

Mahomes is on a 12 year deal so it does alleviate the cap a bit. We don't dare sign Dak for that long.

In Mahomes' case, he doesn't need elite WRs if his defense can play as well as they did last year.

However, he still does have Kelce - who is the most acclaimed Tight End in the game. Overall, I'd say his WR unit is still pretty good, just not elite. He still has one elite weapon, and somehow they manage to extract all they can out of players we initially thought were middling like Pacheko and Hellaire. That's something you can only have faith that the Chiefs can do. Can you imagine us getting quality production out of players drafted below the 2nd round?

There's a fundamental difference of management between the Chiefs and Cowboys. They do everything better. I'm so sick of people bashing players. This organization just needs to do a better job with every facet which our rivals are all doing better.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Last 10 Super Bowls ..

2014 - Brady
2015 - Manning
2016 - Brady
2017 - Foles
2018 - Brady
2019 - Mahomes
2020 - Brady (different team)
2021 - Stafford
2022 - Mahomes
2023 - Mahomes

In the last 10 years .. 7 of the Super Bowls were won by 2 quarterbacks ..

Brady won 4 Super Bowls with two different teams and Mahomes won 3 Super Bowls.

.. but .. it's a "myth" about elite quarterbacks .. :rolleyes:

Miller

Reaction score
I’m insufferable because I hold you guys to what you say. You just lied and said he lost all his receivers. He did not. You then lied and said he was working with rookies. He was working with one rookie which is Rice who was a damn good rookie. This has nothing to do with Dak it’s about not making up lies and that what makes this place insufferable.
Dude you are so out ot your league. You are constantly poking around with this bs. There were no lies. If Dak had their roster you’d whine it wasn’t good enough. It’s happened when we lost guys. He lost one of the top guys in the league. They had a guy in Toney who had drops and other issues..and lost a ton of production

https://www.kshb.com/sports/footbal...e-when-chiefs-wide-receivers-production-waned

ut how much production has been lost? Since Patrick Mahomes ascended to the starting job in 2018, the Chiefs’ wide receivers have provided 13% less receiving yards per game during the post-Hill era and the number of touchdowns has plummeted even more dramatically.

Do yourself a favor and read the article snd who they’ve had. Yet we give Dak years of studs and “oh he’s not had top talent” It’s laughable here

Miller

Reaction score
Last 10 Super Bowls ..

2014 - Brady
2015 - Manning
2016 - Brady
2017 - Foles
2018 - Brady
2019 - Mahomes
2021 - Stafford
2022 - Mahomes
2023 - Mahomes

If there was a love button I’d hit it

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Dude you are so out ot your league. You are constantly poking around with this bs. There were no lies. If Dak had their roster you’d whine it wasn’t good enough. It’s happened when we lost guys. He lost one of the top guys in the league. They had a guy in Toney who had drops and other issues..and lost a ton of production

https://www.kshb.com/sports/footbal...e-when-chiefs-wide-receivers-production-waned

ut how much production has been lost? Since Patrick Mahomes ascended to the starting job in 2018, the Chiefs’ wide receivers have provided 13% less receiving yards per game during the post-Hill era and the number of touchdowns has plummeted even more dramatically.

Do yourself a favor and read the article snd who they’ve had. Yet we give Dak years of studs and “oh he’s not had top talent” It’s laughable here
Let’s address what you said…you said he lost all his receivers and he’s throwing to rookies….

So what you’re saying is that he lost guys like Pringle, Robinson who were bums anyway lol?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Last 10 Super Bowls ..

2014 - Brady
2015 - Manning
2016 - Brady
2017 - Foles
2018 - Brady
2019 - Mahomes
2021 - Stafford
2022 - Mahomes
2023 - Mahomes

Brady and Mahomes are two of the best quarterbacks of all time. That’s like going to the 90s and saying elite two guards dominated the NBa and using Michael Jordan as an example why.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Brady and Mahomes are two of the best quarterbacks of all time. That’s like going to the 90s and saying elite two guards dominated the NBa and using Michael Jordan as an example why.
So basically you are saying if we exclude all of the great quarterbacks, then the OP tweet statement is true?

If so, then I agree .. if you exclude all of the great quarterbacks from the discussion then there are no elite quarterbacks.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Last 10 Super Bowls ..

2014 - Brady
2015 - Manning
2016 - Brady
2017 - Foles
2018 - Brady
2019 - Mahomes
2021 - Stafford
2022 - Mahomes
2023 - Mahomes

I heard/read a few respected former coaches say every team wants great coaching, great defense, and an elite QB. Two of those three will get you to the playoffs more times than not but it takes ALL to win a Super Bowl. Question(s)........does Brady win 4 Super Bowls w/o Belichick or Mahome win 3 if Jason Garrett was his coach instead of Andy Reid? I'm not pushing the goal post but Bucky said it's a myth that elite QBS can single-handedly carry a team to wins, the key word is single-handed. I will admit Brady and Mahomes are exceptions but even they have had HOF coaches.

Let's put it another way.......using your example. So over the last 10 years, are we to believe Brady and Mahomes are the only elite QBs coz they have 7 Super Bowls? To be honest your example is setting the standard for the elite QB pretty high in winning the Super Bowl. If that was the case then we would only have ONE elite QB each year.

I don't disagree but even the greatest QBs can't do it alone. Even they need some players around him playing at a high level. I think that is what Bucky is saying, which is why he used the word single-handedly.