Bucky Brooks: "It's a myth that elite QBs single-handedly carry their teams to wins"

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
2020 Bucs were 29th in rushing. The 2011 Giants were 25th in run defense. 2006 Colts 23rd. You can still make it work without those things.

When was the last time the team at the end got inferior QB play than the teams they were beating? Even surprise winners like Flacco, Eli, and Foles were outperforming the opposing QBs

Performance in the trenches is important, but you’re still not going very far without the appropriate QB play.
Buccs had the 6th best rushing attack by the time the playoffs came around. Fournette was a key part in their success. Teams don’t just “make it work”. They get better. Flacco and Eli were dominate in the regular season but peaked during the playoffs.

And out of the past 20 years you listed 3 teams which seems more like the exception than the rule.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score

When Dak is staring down CD, the safety is already moving up to cut off his route. Dak just didn’t see him. Dallas is already inside the 40, that’s at least a 10 point swing

Like so many, you simply don't understand why it seems as if Dak stared down CeeDee. The design of the play slowed down Dak while affecting CeeDee. Horrible play design which did nothing but help the opposing defense. Too easy. For this Dallas coaches are getting paid millions??? I could design much better and more effective plays.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
What about the intangibles though?

There is no doubt that the other players on the squad stay more mentally positive and willing to give their all when they know the QB can get the job done.

Likewise, when they don't believe, there is no doubt they lose focus & energy.

So, I agree they don't carry the team in some regards but they play a large role in the outcome regardless of the stat sheet.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
You can make an argument for one season or maybe two, but when a quarterback has 7 Super Bowl wins, there is no way you can write off most of them, much less all 7, as "it wasn't him."

After 7 Super Bowl wins, it was Brady.

After 3 Super Bowl wins in 7 years, it was Mahomes.

Break the argument down game-by-game all you want, but after 10 Super Bowl wins, there is no dismissing Brady or Mahommes, at least not without showing desperation for trying to excuse-away why the Cowboys have failed for 29 years.
You don't understand. The sport of football is a team game, especially in the playoffs. Brady lost 30% of his 2021 SB winning team the following 2022 season. How did the Buccaneers fare? 8 - 9 record and they got wiped clean by the Cowboys at Tampa Bay in a game where Dak carried the Cowboys. Where was the 7 SB winning GOAT Brady? Why wasn't he able to carry his 2022 Buccaneers during the playoffs the way he did the previous season? It's because he didn't have the complete team around him that he had the previous year.

Game, Set & Match.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
As I've noted before, Russell Wilson only went to SBs when his team had the no. 1 defense. He's a probable HOF qb, but without those defenses he never won a SB....
Those defenses never go to the SB without him making the plays he did.

They worked together. Neither deserves all the credit. Neither deserves to be overlooked.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Elite QB's do not look like this every single time they face a winning playoff team.

0_dak-prescott.jpg

kskboys

Reaction score
Both. The salary cap has proven as much for the past 30 years. A SB winning capable team needs both.
Yup. It's never so simple as a black/white yes or no.

This current Cowboys team is 2 DT's and a RB short of super bowl contention. Man, that Schoonmaker pick is coming back to haunt us, just as bad picks always do.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
Wow, what a bold statement to make LOL Nobody is arguing that a QB alone can carry a team to a championship, but the Dallas Cowboys over the last 8 years have shown that they certainly can lose one for you....let me add this nugget. Can any other QB in the NFL do what Patty has done for the Chiefs the last 2 years, and would any other QB have won them a ring last year? I don't need anybody to answer this question

kskboys

Reaction score
Well if it’s Cooper Rush then yeah I agree. Depends what you replace him with.

It’s funny though Dak took over a 4 win team and made them a playoff team.
Well, sort of. He ran a ball control O and had a passable D.

Thing is, Jerry just couldn't build on this success, instead changing to a high flying passing O and a gazelle D.

kskboys

Reaction score
Wow, what a bold statement to make LOL Nobody is arguing that a QB alone can carry a team to a championship, but the Dallas Cowboys over the last 8 years have shown that they certainly can lose one for you....let me add this nugget. Can any other QB in the NFL do what Patty has done for the Chiefs the last 2 years, and would any other QB have won them a ring last year? I don't need anybody to answer this question
Yes.