Bucky Brooks: "It's a myth that elite QBs single-handedly carry their teams to wins"

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
No it's not. It's the performance in the trenches. Show me a champion who couldn't stop the run and couldn't run the football.
2020 Bucs were 29th in rushing. The 2011 Giants were 25th in run defense. 2006 Colts 23rd. You can still make it work without those things.

When was the last time the team at the end got inferior QB play than the teams they were beating? Even surprise winners like Flacco, Eli, and Foles were outperforming the opposing QBs

Performance in the trenches is important, but you’re still not going very far without the appropriate QB play.

Yobwocs

Reaction score
Dak threw two interceptions, including a pick 6 and the other that led to a free GB TD. Yes, the defense was porous, but if he was a little more careful with the football then the halftime score could have just as easily been 13-7 or 16-10 instead of 27-0.

The offense’s performance always heavily impacts the defense’s performance, and vice versa.
Well if you were watching the other playoff games that year, you'll see a similar script.

Ravens down 17-7 at half to the Chiefs. They allowed 0 points in the 2nd half. Lamar Jackson just couldn't find 10 more points to tie the game.

49ers down 24-7 at half to the Lions. They allow 7 more points. Allowing the comeback.

If Dak can't make the comeback or make a decent attempt in the 2nd half, it's on him. But he was never given the chance because his defense kept sucking. Real defenses at least stop sucking in the 2nd half. The Niners' and and the Ravens' both did.

Yobwocs

Reaction score
2020 Bucs were 29th in rushing. The 2011 Giants were 25th in run defense. 2006 Colts 23rd. You can still make it work without those things.

When was the last time the team at the end got inferior QB play than the teams they were beating? Even surprise winners like Flacco, Eli, and Foles were outperforming the opposing QBs

Performance in the trenches is important, but you’re still not going very far without the appropriate QB play.
The 2006 Colts were famous for turning around that run defense in the playoffs. They went from one of the worst run stopping teams to one of the best.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Well if you were watching the other playoff games that year, you'll see a similar script.

Ravens down 17-7 at half to the Chiefs. They allowed 0 points in the 2nd half. Lamar Jackson just couldn't find 10 more points to tie the game.

49ers down 24-7 at half to the Lions. They allow 7 more points. Allowing the comeback.

If Dak can't make the comeback or make a decent attempt in the 2nd half, it's on him. But he was never given the chance because his defense kept sucking. Real defenses at least stop sucking in the 2nd half. The Niners' and and the Ravens' both did.
And not every playoff game plays out the same way. Dallas had other issues beyond the team on the field, as did Philadelphia. Dallas didn’t really seem to want to be there for the first 30 minutes. CeeDee seemed checked out, the secondary was doing weird things, and Micah was involved in 1 tackle all day despite playing in 86% of the snaps.

Blame game is fun, but my point was more generalized than “let’s ignore 400+ playoff game and focus on this one thing that happened that one time.”

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Dak threw two interceptions, including a pick 6 and the other that led to a free GB TD. Yes, the defense was porous, but if he was a little more careful with the football then the halftime score could have just as easily been 13-7 or 16-10 instead of 27-0.

The offense’s performance always heavily impacts the defense’s performance, and vice versa.
For the millionth time, add the context of those INTs, why they happened and who truly was to blame.

Yobwocs

Reaction score
Blame game is fun, but my point was more generalized than “let’s ignore 400+ playoff game and focus on this one thing that happened that one time.”
I'm not saying that. Just saying that there were playoff defenses in 2023 that played much better in the 2nd half and were able to nearly completely lock down...in the case of the Niners and Ravens. It was more of a general theme than a rare occurrence.

The fact that the Cowboys defense got worse as they went along kinda proves it's not realistically a Super Bowl team.

RoboQB

Reaction score
Mahomes Cap hit in 2025 $66M, 2026 $68M, 2027 $64M and don't be surprised when they redo his deal.

They also can walk from Mahomes in 2027 for just $17M Dead Cap hit if they wanted to.
You seem to be moving away from the original context of discussion which was whether Dak's 4 years $40M per year (APY) was better than Mahomes at 10 years $45M per year. I'm sure they will redo the deal but it's better than the Dak deal by a long shot. Plus, all those SB trophies, so it already paid off nicely. He's probably got another 1 or 2 on the way.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
Dak had a cap hit last year or 26 million….before that 20 and before that 17 million….when Dak had a 17 million dollar cap hit do you know what they did?
They lost Connor Williams, Randy Gregory, Brent Urban, La El Collins, Amari and Cedric Wilson.

You know what they added? Anthony Barr, Dante Fowler, Jason Peters and James Washington.

We have got to stop giving this front office the excuse of salary as to why they can’t build a proper team.
If you look at the post you replied to, it contained the sentence "His middle years were wasted paying off other people's inflated deals." I think we are on the same page here.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You have staff member next to your name. You cannot have those kinda delusional expectations. We're not getting a Mahomes. We're not gonna land on the right side of that dice.

Realistic people don't entertain those kinda thoughts....Jerry and Stephen surely aren't doing that.
That's a rather pessimistic outlook to assume we (or any non-Chiefs team) will never get a Mahomes type of quarterback.

In any case, it does not matter if we find one as good as Mahomes, but we should be trying to find one that can win in the post-season for a change.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not knocking Brady, but to say he carried his Buccaneers team is simply not true. His whole team was among the best and helped each other win a Super Bowl in 2021. The stats don't lie.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/stats/_/name/tb/season/2021/seasontype/2
You can make an argument for one season or maybe two, but when a quarterback has 7 Super Bowl wins, there is no way you can write off most of them, much less all 7, as "it wasn't him."

After 7 Super Bowl wins, it was Brady.

After 3 Super Bowl wins in 7 years, it was Mahomes.

Break the argument down game-by-game all you want, but after 10 Super Bowl wins, there is no dismissing Brady or Mahommes, at least not without showing desperation for trying to excuse-away why the Cowboys have failed for 29 years.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Dak had a cap hit last year or 26 million….before that 20 and before that 17 million….when Dak had a 17 million dollar cap hit do you know what they did?
They lost Connor Williams, Randy Gregory, Brent Urban, La El Collins, Amari and Cedric Wilson.

You know what they added? Anthony Barr, Dante Fowler, Jason Peters and James Washington.

We have got to stop giving this front office the excuse of salary as to why they can’t build a proper team.
I believe the kid once got up in front of the media and termed this type of approach as “secret sauce.”

Yet people still want to believe that these two have the slightest clue.

Just about every contending team is paying a QB big money yet still somehow manages to participate in free agency.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ELITE QBS DON'T COST YOU PLAYOFF GAMES.
I've said it a million times, QBs need to be part of the victory but CANNOT not be part of losses.
Elete QBs are consistent leaders who produce under pressure

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Dak fans constant defending of his poor play is what turned me from a “Dak doubter” to a “Dak hater”.

I now want to see Dak fail just to spite his minions.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ELITE QBS DON'T COST YOU PLAYOFF GAMES.
I've said it a million times, QBs need to be part of the victory but CANNOT not be part of losses.
Elete QBs are consistent leaders who produce under pressure
Its why not elite qbs can win super bowls. But of course they need a good defense. But they cannot be a big part of losing. Its why rush was successful. He didnt crash the buss...didnt test his own defense.

Show me a qb who gives the other team 14 easy points when the chips are down, and ill show you someone who cant win a superbowl. If he doesnt do that, and we still lose...well okay. The high heat goes to a simmer.